autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought a used service vehicle that had decals: decals gone but paint gloss still shows decal outline

I did a search and I could not find anything related. I am a newbie to this art but I have clayed and waxed cars in the past. I bought a used police vehicle which already had the decals stripped away. I can still see the lettering as the paint behind where the decals were is extremely glossy and the rest of the vehicle is dull. Do you think just a good clay and way job should even this out or should I be more aggressive and run a polish then glaze then wax? If so, what kind of polish would you recommend? This isn't any sort of show truck but I'd like to take it back to 100% OEM if possible.
    “May God save the country, for it is evident that the people will not.” –President Millard Fillmore

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bought a used service vehicle that had decals: decals gone but paint gloss still shows decal outline

Paint correction compound and polish will most likely remove it or at least lessen the difference so it's barely noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like stated before you will need to do a paint correction job a combo like meguiars m105 and m205 should do the trick ...good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bought a used service vehicle that had decals: decals gone but paint gloss still shows decal outline

yep, what the others have said.
    Paint has natural wear due to the elements if not protected by a wax, sealant or coating...or in this case, decals.
    The paint under the decals is basically new 'cause the decals were likely installed when the vehicle was new, i assume.
    With a compound and polish, you could bring the rest of the paint back to new condition (most likely) to match the paint that was under the decals.
    If you dont have "professional" products available, Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are available at your local parts store or walmart and are awesome products and real easy to use. Do a search here or on youtube on them to get more familiar with them.
    As always, feel free to ask away!
    We were all new at some point and someone helped us too.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I knew how to get the stinking decal (dealer) off my trunk lip!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edse30 View Post
    If you dont have "professional" products available, Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are available at your local parts store or walmart and are awesome products and real easy to use.
    Good combo. I had vinyls on the lower rockers of my car and using this combo removed the outlined that the letters left as well as making the paint look even in terms of gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    If it's vinyl some heat and patience will get it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Along with heat and patience, I've used a plastic razor blade. Gently peel a edge of the sticker off the surface with the blade while the sticker is hot.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Credit card...or you can go use the plastic to buy a plastic scraper/razor. Takes it right off and then a little clean up and you'll never know it was there. I make them remove them at the dealership.....unless they are willing to knock off a couple hundred for advertising, then I'll wait until I get home and do it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good guys. I'll follow your advice and report back.
    “May God save the country, for it is evident that the people will not.” –President Millard Fillmore

Post Thanks / Like

post pics of what process you take!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast