autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Perfectionist Detailing #2 - Sanding right up to an edge

Perfectionist Detailing #2 - Sanding right up to an edge

No time to type an in-depth article, but here's some stuff on this topic already written in the below thread...

The question comes up about wetsanding right up to and edge or a body line and my answer is the closer you sand to any edge and/or right up to a raised body line the greater the risk to burn through the paint either while sanding or buffing because paint is thinnest around edges and raised body lines. This is due to two reasons,

1. Gravity causes wet paint when it's sprayed to flow downward.

2. For cars where other people have buffed or sanded and buffed BEFORE you, you don't know what they did and the paint can be what I call Whisper Thin. And you could be the unlucky person, as careful and experienced as you are, to sand or buff through the thin portions.

Can it be done?

Yes!

Does it take a lot of time?

Yes!

So if it's your car, it's your time and go for it.

If it's a customer's car and they are willing to pay you by the hour for what I call perfectionist detailing... then go for it!

Besides the two reasons above, you're probably better off risk-wise and profitability-wise to do the best you can and live with a little orange peel a 1/4 inch away from edges and body lines.

Until you sand through, or burn through the paint on someone else's car I cannot even begin to describ the sinking feeling you will get in your heart when it happens to you.

The discussion about sanding up to an edge starts with Post #33 in the below thread...

Removing Orange Peel & Sanding Marks with the Griot's ROP and the Wolfgang Twins

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Perfectionist Detailing #2 - Sanding right up to an edge

Oh Michael,

I know THAT feeling. I used to restore art in my gallery years ago. I recall a couple of times when cleaning an oil painting, the sudden sinking sight of revealing canvas during the process. Granted, it's probably a heck of a easier fixing one's over zealousness upon an oil painting than a vehicle's paint layer, however, the initial reaction is identical for sure....In your heart, in your head, with your whole body vibrating OMG, I can't believe I just did that. Once the smoke clears, there's usually means to restoration, but what an initial response it is.

May it NEVER happen to those who frequent these pages. Or anyone for that matter.

Be well....elliot

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by michelliot View Post
    Oh Michael,

I know THAT feeling. I used to restore art in my gallery years ago. I recall a couple of times when cleaning an oil painting, the sudden sinking sight of revealing canvas during the process. Granted, it's probably a heck of a easier fixing one's over zealousness upon an oil painting than a vehicle's paint layer, however, the initial reaction is identical for sure....In your heart, in your head, with your whole body vibrating OMG, I can't believe I just did that. Once the smoke clears, there's usually means to restoration, but what an initial response it is.

May it NEVER happen to those who frequent these pages. Or anyone for that matter.

Be well....elliot

Thanks for adding that...

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

More...

This is also related...

The Rule of Thumb