autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Perfectionist Detailing #1 - Compounding & Polishing right up to an edge

Perfectionist Detailing #1 - Compounding & Polishing right up to an edge

From post 15 of this thread

Best Practice - Avoid buffing on top of body lines and edges

Just to note, sometimes it's a good idea to read the entire thread for the full context of the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by paramount View Post
    This is good info! I wondered why painters tape was used. So how do you clean or buff the body lines? I'm new to detailing so I apologize for my ignorance.
    It's a great question and a common question. What you're talking about is called,

Perfectionist Detailing

While I don't have a dedicated article on this topic I've written about it a lot so for right now, I'm going to just copy and paste what I've already posted to the below thread with a similar question...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...nt-film-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastTbird View Post

Different, but related question: do you guys hand polish body lines before or after taping?

Or asked another way before or after machine polishing?

After as then you can remove any tape-line residue.

I call this, Perfectionist Detailing, that is rubbing out the thin space of paint that runs along trim that was covered by tape. I actually discuss this in in this article I wrote after first coming to Autogeek back in 2009. All the information in this article is just as accurate today as it was when I wrote it and it's a re-write of an even older article on the topic.

Step-by-Step How-To use the Porter Cable 7424XP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Here we've taped-off the rubber gasket between the glass and the window frame and I'm pointing to show that there's about an 1/8th of an inch of paint that's not going to get buffed with either of the two polishing steps.

After the correction steps we'll remove the tape and carefully wax these areas for a uniform look that will match the polished areas next to the tape line.

While not perfectionist detailing in some eyes, remember this is a daily driver, not a show car.

You can invest more time and just run the tape down the rubber and get it close to the edge of the panel if you want or just overhang a little like I did here. It's your choice based upon what you're trying to accomplish and how much time you want to invest.

The thing about Perfectionist Detailing is that it is very time intensive. Here's the deal...

If it's your own car go for it as it's your time.

If you're detailing for money and you can get your customer's to understand the time involved to do this kind of detailing and to pay you by the hour for it... then again, go for it as it's a good gig if you can get it.

My experience is most won't want to pay for it for a daily driver and only a few will pay for it for SIV's and you still have to educate them.

Perfectionist Detailing

Mike Phillips

Re: Perfectionist Detailing #1 - Compounding & Polishing right up to an edge

Just to note...

The way you would handle the paint right next to and on a raised body line or on an edge is by hand.

Choose compounds and polishes that are known for being able to be worked by hand and then get some microfiber applicator pads and foam applicator pads.

Then put some passion behind the pad....

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think taping takes up too much time, and we use that time to hand polish edges and tight areas on every detail we do that gets polished.

I choose polishes that leave no residue on trim, or are easy to remove. A rubber eraser also helps to remove residue from trim if any were to stain. I also make sure that all polish is spread evenly on a large panel before getting close to edges, that way very little (if any) polish can gunk up into cracks and crevices.

For hand pads, we rub the polish into the pads before we start working it, this way less is jammed into the crevices, we then use brushes to remove any gunked up areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just curious what y'all think of this method:

http://youtu.be/7lwWXXDs3sc

It's Paul Dalton, from Miracle Detail. I respect this guy a lot. Just looking for opinions.

Also, notice how little polish he uses. There seems to be no polish trail on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess conventional method of section passes is out the window. Seems like his method is lot faster or he may just be doing touch up work...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 28ONE View Post
    I guess conventional method of section passes is out the window. Seems like his method is lot faster or he may just be doing touch up work...
    He did the whole car. Paul Dalton is the real deal. Check this out:

Aston martin V12 Vantage - Modesta BC-03 Pure glass coating - YouTube

Aston martin V12 Vantage - Modesta BC-03 Pure glass coating - YouTube

I almost blew out my drawers when I saw that one. Sick.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow! Amazingly sick!

Post Thanks / Like
    He makes it look so easy.

I'd love to buff out an entire door panel at once. And his arm speed is a lot faster than I'm used to moving.

Just bought a Rupes 15 today. Can't wait to start playing around with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 28ONE View Post
    I guess conventional method of section passes is out the window.
    Nope.

Paul Dalton is very highly skilled. HE makes it look very easy, but we all know it's not.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post

HE makes it look very easy,

That's the trick to doing demonstrations...

Make it look easy...

But also show the what to do, how to do it and in most cases the most important part... why to do it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast