autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Have graphics painted under the clearcoat

Have graphics painted under the clearcoat - The best of all worlds

Graphics, stripes, emblems, pin stripes, etc look cool on most cars, they can give a car a real aggressive or custom look. The problem is taking care of the graphics or custom paint down the road.

Here's the best way to deal with custom graphics anytime you're getting a custom paint job and that is to pay whatever extra money it costs to have the graphics painted UNDER the clearcoat, that is have them painted over the basecoat before the clear is sprayed.

With the graphics sprayed under the clear layer of paint you get the best of all worlds. You get the custom or cool look you're looking for without the hassle of trying to maintain graphics on top of the clear.

New car manufactures could learn a lesson about this better approach to adding graphics to a car. That or completely explaining to the potential customer what is involved in maintaining graphics on top of the clear. Full disclosure on what the owner will have to do in order to maintain either vinyl or painted graphics on the top of the clearcoat finish.

The best way...
    Here's my buddy Steve's fresh 1969 Camaro Restorod with the custom stripes painted under the clearcoat.

For the rest of his life he'll never have to deal with any hassle related to custom graphics or custom paint like SS Stripes or Pin Stripes painted on top of the clearcoat.

Look to see this car make an appearance at Autogeek's Show Car Garage in the near future and also at Detail Fest in 2014

Nice work Steve...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Graphics under the clearcoat - The best of all worlds

Yep, that is the best option. The extra money spent up front is well worth it in the long run.

Camaro looks great Steve! Nicely done!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Graphics under the clearcoat - The best of all worlds"

^^^ ^^^

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post985735

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Yep, that is the best option. The extra money spent up front is well worth it in the long run.

Camaro looks great Steve! Nicely done!

This is Steve's second Camaro where he's had his painter place the graphics under the clearcoat.

1969 Camaro Pace Car - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

The 'matte look' won't work under clearcoat though, is that correct? I know that's a popular thing nowadays, a shiny car with matte graphics. Wouldn't that be unachievable under a glossy clearcoat? Unless maybe you wet-sanded the clear where the graphics are and left the sanding marks :P.

I prefer glossy anyway, but was just curious. I see a lot of these matte graphics and stripes, and in my mind I can't see that same 'look' being possible under a clearcoat.
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    The 'matte look' won't work under clearcoat though, is that correct? I know that's a popular thing nowadays, a shiny car with matte graphics. Wouldn't that be unachievable under a glossy clearcoat? Unless maybe you wet-sanded the clear where the graphics are and left the sanding marks :P.

I prefer glossy anyway, but was just curious. I see a lot of these matte graphics and stripes, and in my mind I can't see that same 'look' being possible under a clearcoat.
    There is Matte clearcoat paint.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    There is Matte clearcoat paint.

Bob
    There is!

BUT; it's just as bad as matte graphics isn't it? It can't be polished or repaired. And, as I understand it, doesn't the clear have to be shot onto tacky paint and within a certain amount of time? If so, how would you tape it off to accomplish that matte-graphics on glossy-paint look?

I'm not talking about an entirely matte car, I'm talking about a glossy car with matte graphics; which is pretty common these days.

One solution is perhaps plasti-dip stripes! That's all the rage now, too! LOL.

If you aren't familiar with the plasti dip fad, here's a pic;

Essentially it's a spray on rubberized grip intended for tools and surfaces like the bottom of your toolbox. Some folks have figure out it's a cheap way to add graphics and other things because it's inherit nature requires zero prep and goes on super even and smooth with no effort and leaves those nice, matte looking graphics (comes in all sorts of colors, too). Then when you get sick of it, or it gets damaged, it just peels right off like painters tape. I guess it's a cool idea, but it's not nearly as permanent or durable as either vinyl stripes or painted stripes.

There's a pic of someone peeling it off. I've used it many times before for it's INTENDED purpose (and to coat the interior of my motorcycle trunk), and it really does peel right off very easily but remain fairly durable.
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

There is!
    Of course there is!!!

And what's nice is that I don't have to worry about the process:
    Any painter worth his salt will know how it's to be done!

One solution is perhaps plasti-dip stripes! That's all the rage now, too! LOL.
    If you aren't familiar with the plasti dip fad, here's a pic;
    I actually forget how many decades ago it was that I started using Plasti-dip on many tool's grips.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Of course there is!!!

And what's nice is that I don't have to worry about the process:
    Any painter worth his salt will know how it's to be done!

I actually forget how many decades ago it was that I started using Plasti-dip on many tool's grips.

Bob
    Haha yeah, funny how things become re-purposed!

So there IS a process in which matte clear can be applied over graphics but the REST of the car can remain glossy? That's pretty cool, didn't know that. Though, then again, that may be even worse as it can't be polished. May be better off with removable graphics!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, my 1992 CBR600F2 had grafics under clear (factory) I rember thinking at that time, what a joy. No wax residue or burned edges!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast