autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Simoniz Original Wax

Hi I have just finished polishing a black porsche. I am happy with the results and want to give it some protection. I am going to apply simoniz original wax. This is the first car i have removed swirls from with a machine polisher and want to avoid creating swirls by applying wax. Simoniz original wax is a very hard wax and has to be used as a wax on wax off product, it contains only carnuba and solvent which I like, also gives a great glossy shine. I would appreciate if anyone could advise me on the best applicator cloth/pad to use? When I was younger I would have applied and removed with mutton stockinette it would take a hard rubbing action to remove fully. Your advice and criticism is appreciated thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simoniz Original Wax

I must admit it has been many decades since I've used that product. I would apply by hand with a foam wax applicator pad as thin as humanly possible. Complete a small section, like 1/2 the hood or a fender, then wipe it off immediately with a quality microfiber towel. I would not let it dry. A thinner more even application can be accomplished by machine if you desire.

The actual directions say:
    Apply by hand using Terry Cloth Wax Applicator Pads or with your favorite buffer.

I must say I don't miss it one bit!
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Often, very hard paste waxes such as this I've found over the years apply a hell of a lot better with a dampened applicator.

A very very rare occasion, which I would apply any hard paste which might be hard removing, without the use of water.

Funny how that works, but for sure, it is the application which will either ease, or complicate removal.

Water helps a wax spread thinner, smoother, easier spreadability.

And for instance, and traveling back in time 30 plus years, Blue Coral Paste. You test, you apply to an 18x18 section, see how it comes off? For sure, don't coat the entire vehicle, and "then" find out you're in for a grueling workout.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I must admit it has been many decades since I've used that product. I would apply by hand with a foam wax applicator pad as thin as humanly possible. Complete a small section, like 1/2 the hood or a fender, then wipe it off immediately with a quality microfiber towel. I would not let it dry. A thinner more even application can be accomplished by machine if you desire.

The actual directions say:
    Apply by hand using Terry Cloth Wax Applicator Pads or with your favorite buffer.

I must say I don't miss it one bit!
    Yep, I agree. And if you find out that the quick wipe on, and then wipe off is not working, that it appears more dry time is needed, then do so, and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

The original Simonize was a wipe on and wipe off product . If you applied it and let it dry , you would need kerosene to get it off. About 2 sq ft would be the max that you would apply it too , aqnd never never apply it in the sun or a hot surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you have spent the time and money to polish out a PORSCHE, why would you put wax on it that you have questions about? Of all the great products that are sold on this site, and over the counter, why would you choose a product that you are not sure of? I have never used that product, but is it that good that it warrants being used this time?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know they even sold that anymore. I have fond memories of it on my '60 chevy as a teen. But I agree with Eagle, why not use something modern? A good sealant would be appropriate IMO, or if you're set on a wax, there are plenty of proven winners that you don't have to guess about.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your comments guys, it's more sentimental rather. I was looking at a the collinite 915 and the meguiars no16 for a wax are these a easier to apply? What would you use?Thanks

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by patsf1 View Post

Thank you for your comments guys, it's more sentimental rather. I was looking at a the collinite 915 and the meguiars no16 for a wax are these a easier to apply?
    Most quality waxes are easy to apply, it's the wipe-off that can be difficult. The key to easy wipe off is applying a thin coat and that's where skill, experience and technique come into play as well as a collection of high quality microfiber towels.

In the write-up I posted last Friday where we took an absolutely swirled-out and scratches single stage urethane finish and polished it to perfection, I shared step by step the process for how we created the dripping wet results.

Here's how we applied the wax and it's the best way to apply wax in my opinion and personal practice.

Machine Waxing

Next were going to apply Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax only we're going to let the machine do all the work. Machine waxing is not only faster but the machine does a way better job than the human hand could ever do.

Like the compounding and polishing steps, I let the guys pick the tool they want to use and let them have at it....

And here's how I wipe off wax and have the team of guys wipe of wax, or sealant or coating and that's by wearing microfiber gloves and using very high quality microfiber towels.

Removing the wax
    This is the moment we've all been waiting for... this is the moment we've all been working towards, this is the moment where we see the final results....

For this everyone dawns microfiber gloves as they make holding microfiber towels effortless and prevent any accidental fingerprints from getting on the paint. When the paint is polished to this high a level ANY defect will now stand out like a sore thumb.

Here's what a thin layer of a machine applied paste wax looks like...

And here's what the above looks like when you're done....

Quote Originally Posted by patsf1 View Post

What would you use?

Thanks

If you want to use a traditional paste wax, like a Carnauba paste wax with easy application and easy wipe-off there are many on the market. We used Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax on this orange Nova and it would work just as well on your Porsche.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, can you tell me if Simoniz was is difficult to apply for a beginner ?
    And is it a good choice to keep the car waxed long time ? I am sure to be lazy to do it again soon...

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast