autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

need advices please (lack of technique or wrong combo)

Hi, I think I do need some advices for 2 things at least ; the first being knocking down buffer trails/holograms instilled by the dealership on my sister 2013 black hyundai elantra sedan , removing all the swirls may be a bit less important since winter is coming and she'll be dragging the snow brush on painted surfaces .

second thing is there is some kind of film on the car where the shipping plastic were, will claybar treatment take care of this or a fallout remover ?

another is I am right handed and for the moment I do have a cast on my right hand/elbow

and here is where i am really needing help, appropriate combo of pad product and machine ( black vehicules scares me )

the product i have are : Griots dual action buffer, Simoniz (generic brand) rotary, 6.5" 3M eggshell white pad, 6.5" 3M eggshell black pad, 5" lake county orange,green and blue pads, 5" surbuff pads. meguiars ultimate compound, presta ultra cutting creme, presta swirl remover, optimum poliseal, optimum finish, optimum gps, scratch-x

could someone please help me associate the pads and products to do what i asked help for a little further up ??

thank you !

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need advices please (lack of technique or wrong combo)

Quote Originally Posted by sunstealth View Post

second thing is there is some kind of film on the car where the shipping plastic were, will claybar treatment take care of this or a fallout remover ?
    If the dealers rotary didn't get it I doubt if clay will. Whatever you choose, testspot first.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

honnestly i think they only did a dry pass on the upper part of the car with the rotary at the dealerdhip the film/glue is pretty much all below the door handles

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what kind of condition your arm is in but I would advise to be smart about it. The fact that you are injured, I would take every precaution in not getting hurt any further. It may not be worth it over car paint.

With that out of the way, I would always do a test area starting with the least aggressive routes and work your way up. Even trying to claying first on the test area won't hurt. I do not know how comfortable you are or experience with a rotary but there is the possibility that you will leave holograms. Again least aggressive machine would be the DA. I would have liked to try a white pad on your DA with Optimum Polish. Don't think you listed that pad for the DA though.

Do you have any pictures of the damage you can post?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

my wrist is pretty messed up going in surgery soon, I am used to a rotary (with 2 functionnal arms) but honnestly it's been like 1 1/2 year i havent touched any car care products so there is my problem, i have forgotten a bunch of things .

claying will be done first with medium grade claymagic, and the white pads are for the rotary (they are componding pads)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunstealth View Post
    my wrist is pretty messed up going in surgery soon, I am used to a rotary (with 2 functionnal arms) but honnestly it's been like 1 1/2 year i havent touched any car care products so there is my problem, i have forgotten a bunch of things .

claying will be done first with medium grade claymagic, and the white pads are for the rotary (they are componding pads)
    I would go with a polishing/light cutting pad first and then maybe step up to a more aggressive pad if it's necessary. Pictures would help anyone assess the situation a bit better.

Regarding your physical ability to work on cars is going to be a judgement call for yourself. I think anyone would advise you to be safe than need to pay for damages or hurt yourself any further. Personally, I would advise you to wait until you are 100% sure you are able to tackle this job without getting hurt again. If you can't control any polisher more than likely you will just add on to the damage or worst. I remember the days I would reschedule or refer my clients to other detailers due to the fact I know I won't be able to perform my best or at least par. Detailing can be physical demanding.

Hope it helps. I'm assuming you are concerned about your wrist so be smart about it.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    It's simple take the car back to the dealer and have them fix it! Or have them pay you to have a professional do it. People come to my shop all the time with checks from the dealer to me to fix their cars. You need to complain about it.

Post Thanks / Like

it will get worse if they touch it again, my previous car had the same problem, black mitsubichi lancer, buffer trail galore. It had been "buffed" by the dealership.

my wrist aint really a problem now, just waiting for surgery ! I will just take more time and ask my sister's help for washing and claying and decontamination mainly !

I think I will use the optimum poliseal on a green pad to get rid of the buffer trails and swirls. Then my sister will help me apply optiseal and optimum spraywax

tried it last night and it seems to work really nice !

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mean for you to have them touch it again. If you bug them enough they will pay to have a professional do it. Trust me dealerships turn to us all the time to fix customers cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure where you are health wise. However, in these type of situations health comes first IMO.

When you talk about knocking out the holograms you mean on a Rotary or DA.

Either way good luck...!

Art