autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mixing? is it possible?

I have been using mostly meguiars product. I really like the high tech yellow wax. Its so easy to work with. I also have been playing around with they're machine glaze lately. Could I mix the two products in a separate bottle to make my own "custom" blend? I was hoping the two together could "help" each other out. The glaze helping to fill scratches, add a little more depth and still have the shine and protection of the nuba. Any tips or ideas on custom mixing recipes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mixing? is it possible?

Several threads on this. Seems to be taboo around here. Combine a couple of things and it's like you're mixing ammonia and bleach. Maybe I should tell my wife to wear a respirator while she's baking.

Post Thanks / Like

As a professional chemical formulator, I will, without reservation, say no. You should not do it. Mixing chemicals, without knowledge of what is in them and what you would expect to occur is the number one chemical sin. If you like, it is the chemical equivalent to seeing a cliff, closing your eyes and jumping off. Before long you are going to land on rocks.

And I appreciate that, often, there is nothing to go wrong but, unless you genuinely know that is the case, you should not be doing mixing chemicals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    As a professional chemical formulator, I will, without reservation, say no. You should not do it. Mixing chemicals, without knowledge of what is in them and what you would expect to occur is the number one chemical sin. If you like, it is the chemical equivalent to seeing a cliff, closing your eyes and jumping off. Before long you are going to land on rocks.

And I appreciate that, often, there is nothing to go wrong but, unless you genuinely know that is the case, you should not be doing mixing chemicals.
    That is a great analogy.

From a more basic perspective, considering the vast amount of products Meguiars specifically makes, if they could make a product that did what the two of these products combined theoretically would do, and there is a market for it, they would make it. Even though we might think there is similarity between so many of the products they make, or at least the purpose of the products, they are different in some way. Having said that, there is probably no benefit, and most likely combining these two products (using the theory that they are chemically compatible) would diminish each of their abilities to do what they are intended to do.

Post Thanks / Like

The only way I mix stuff is by putting one drop of 105 and one drop of 205 on a pad. I would never mix the two compounds in one bottle or any other product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    The only way I mix stuff is by putting one drop of 105 and one drop of 205 on a pad. I would never mix the two compounds in one bottle or any other product.
    I wonder if the small percentage of JP-TS Aviation Fuel that's particular to/in M205...and not in M105:
    (with a certain amount of M205 then being strategically located upon an already M105'ed buffing pad...)

Performs in the same manner as:
    'Spritzing' a certain amount of baby-oil, (or even mineral-oil), onto a similar and already M105'ed-buffing pad?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I wonder if the small percentage of JP-TS Aviation Fuel that's particular to/in M205...and not in M105:
    (with a certain amount of M205 then being strategically located upon an already M105'ed buffing pad...)

Performs in the same manner as:
    'Spritzing' a certain amount of baby-oil, (or even mineral-oil), onto a similar and already M105'ed-buffing pad?

Bob
    Bob I like your post and I'm not sure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Bob I like your post and I'm not sure
    Me neither...I was just thinking aloud.

With all listed ingredients---including the type of abrasive---of M105/M205 in their respective MSDS's being the same:
    (but and except for the aviation fuel and lower %'s of the same ingredients in M205)...
    Surely no harm will befall you, by using your 105/205 mixing-method.

But are there other less expensive chemicals/products that would perform as well?
    Even if so: Should they be used as a mixer?

An aside:
    I've been known to mix M07 and M26 in order to have: "one less trip around the vehicle"...
    But to what other avail?

They use similar petroleum distillates, but entirely different "clays".
    And with M07's-glycerine: Probably running hitherto unnoticed interference.......

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti