autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

GT500 Black Matte Stripe - Scratch

Good morning. I picked up my GT500 over the weekend from Alabama. I flew one way from Michigan and drove the car up. I have (2) people inspect the car before the pickup and it was said to be perfect, with no flaws.

When I arrived I inspected the car, everything was perfect, except one of the Black Matte Vinyl Stripes some fine scratches in it. Before I noticed the scratches I salesperson stated "he ran it through the Auto Butler". I did some research on the said Auto Butler and I assume it was the culprit of the the scratches.

I was 700 Miles from home, the car was otherwise perfect mechanically and esthetically, so I took delivery.

The scratches are going to drive me crazy, so I will be writing a letter to the owner of the dealer, we'll see if it nets any results, which I highly doubt!

I would love to know if there is a product that can help reduce or remove the scratches.

Also, with waxing a car with Matte Stripes, how do you wax the clear-coat paint without hitting the stripes? Open for suggestions.

Thanks for reading, Tom - Northville Michigan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GT500 Black Matte Stripe - Scratch

I have a F150 Raptor with the box and hood decals and can tell you that there is nothing that I know of that will correct the scratches in the decals. Polishing on vinyl is feasible but you will shine up the matte.

As for waxing and working on the clear (polishing etc...) it takes no time at all to tape the edge of the stripes. I personally use a product like UTTG on the decals before working on the car and don't really tape the truck (a lot of practice). I machine apply to the main body and use the DA pad and finish the edging by hand (around the trim, door handles, hard trim, and soft rubber, and decals etc..) If anything gets on the decals, I clean it up right away and already have the UTTG on the decal to "protect"

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately my ford dealer applied auto butler to my new focus. Had a quite a bit of polishing to do. What color is the gt500?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldendodo19 View Post
    Unfortunately my ford dealer applied auto butler to my new focus. Had a quite a bit of polishing to do. What color is the gt500?
    I figure from his forum name that it is.... a 2013 red GT500

Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    I have a F150 Raptor with the box and hood decals and can tell you that there is nothing that I know of that will correct the scratches in the decals. Polishing on vinyl is feasible but you will shine up the matte.

As for waxing and working on the clear (polishing etc...) it takes no time at all to tape the edge of the stripes. I personally use a product like UTTG on the decals before working on the car and don't really tape the truck (a lot of practice). I machine apply to the main body and use the DA pad and finish the edging by hand (around the trim, door handles, hard trim, and soft rubber, and decals etc..) If anything gets on the decals, I clean it up right away and already have the UTTG on the decal to "protect"
    Bummer; I just might need to have them replaced eventually. I wonder if I can just get the Stripe that is damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by goldendodo19 View Post
    I cannot believe they run cars through these things (auto butler). In the manual it specifically states not to run this car through any automated washers...

Here are a couple of pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I would contact the dealership and explained to them the issues you encountered and the "shared" information of when you picked up the car.... and the fact that it SPECIFICALLY states that you should not bring the car through a swirl-o-matic, and get them to discuss replacing the stripes free of charge at your local dealership (they can arrange reimbursement between the dealership). Your other option is to contact the Ford regional manager and explain the situation and they may be able to get you fixed up.

I doubt you can buy just the one stripe but regardless, you are talking about some major moola. I know the decal option on "The Beast" was $1800

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would contact the dealership and explained to them the issues you encountered and the "shared" information of when you picked up the car.... and the fact that it SPECIFICALLY states that you should not bring the car through a swirl-o-matic, and get them to discuss replacing the stripes free of charge at your local dealership (they can arrange reimbursement between the dealership). Your other option is to contact the Ford regional manager and explain the situation and they may be able to get you fixed up.

I doubt you can buy just the one stripe but regardless, you are talking about some major moola. I know the decal option on "The Beast" was $1800
    Thank you for your reply. I just received my "Ford Your Opinion matters email". I will be expressing my concerns with Ford and advise the owner of the dealership as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome car! If it was noted at delivery, someone should take care of that- either Ford or the dealer.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

+1 hopefully he had it documented in the paperwork, makes an insurance claim a lot easier.

Awesome car just can't believe a $75K car has decals. Matte are going to be a real pain to take care of. If you have any monry left over remove them and have it painted which is the right way. They can be done with a matte base and clear coat.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is a beautiful color! Any word on getting it fixed?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast