autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures: Dennis Gage & Autogeek.net with a 1963 Studebaker Avanti on "My Classic Car"

Pictures: Dennis Gage & Autogeek.net with a 1963 Studebaker Avanti on "My Classic Car"

Here's some of the pictures that were taken while we were filming new episodes for My Classic Car with Dennis Gage in Evansville, Indianna...

I pretty much processed the pictures in the order they were taken, where I can I'll add commentary...

1963 Studebaker Avanti
    Our first segments will feature a very pristine 1963 Studebaker Avanti.

Segment 1 - Blackfire
    We used this Avanti to showcase the Blackfire Compounds, Polishes & Waxes including Blackfire BlackICE.

Segment 2 - Flex Polishers
    We also used this Avanti to showcase the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher, the Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher and the Flex 3403 Rotary Polisher.

Set Director
    Here's Darlene as "Set Director" arranging and setting up the pads, products and tools on the workbench. This takes a lot of talent in order to not only make everything look good but to also have the items placed in a way that works for both Dennis and I to talked about and then grab and use on the car.

Walking through our lines
    Here's Max, Dennis and myself talking through the flow of the first segment, the key ideas to get a across as well as product benefits and features and also tips and techniques to share.

AGO Forum Member - Matt aka MPBGT
    Here's Dennis and I doing a dry run, in the foreground you can see Matt aka MPBGT a member of our forum watching surrounded by the crew of My Classic Car. It's always great to include our forum members with our projects.

Make-up
    Here's Dennis getting a touch-up from Michelle the Make-up Artist on the set. In most TV studios it gets very warm and even hot with all the lights being used to light up the set. Take a look through these pictures and you'll see a lot of lights...

Camera 1 and Camera 2
    While Mike the Grip is adjusting lights the camera guys Chip and John can take a break but here's their cameras ready to roll film.

TV Set Grip
    In the background you can see Mike the Grip on the ladder moving and securing lights to best light up the Avanti. Mike is incredibly talented and a real master of his craft.

Break Area
    There's a couple of tables in the front of the shop for breaks and lunch, here's Max, Michelle, Matt, Henry and I talking cars while the crew is setting up.

Ben the Producer
    Here's Dennis talking with Ben the Producer about this segment. Ben is the guy in the blue and white striped shirt. Ben is also the guy that gets to travel around the country and even the world along with Dennis when they are filming their show on location. So besides being the Producer he's also a very capable camera man.

Rolling the car onto the set
    After all the lights are arranged and secured, we roll the car back into place.

More lights...
    After the car is moved into place the cameramen start sending the Ben some video feed so Ben can see what everything looks like on screen. Then more lighting adjustments are made and you can see Mike the Grip in the background setting up lights while Dennis and I talk about Blackfire BlackICE Montan Paste Wax.

Lights - Camera - Action!
    We're ready to roll film...

White Microfiber Gloves
    Dennis always likes the cool products, tools and gadgets we bring to the studio. In this shot he wanted to try out the Microfiber Gloves. He asked me if they really work and I said,

Like attracts like...

That is, the microfiber gloves on your hand help you to grip the microfiber towel making wiping off a show car wax like Blackfire BlackICE a lot easier. So he wanted to put them to the test and see if I was pulling his leg.

You missed a spot!
    The phrase, you missed a spot is an insider, industry joke as all of us detailers love to say that to any other detailer actually detailing a car. After Dennis wiped off the Blackfire BlackICE I pointed to a section of the hood and said,

You missed a spot!

And Darlene snapped this picture...

The real deal...
    After we shot the segment, the visual before and after difference was so dramatic that pretty much everyone came around to take a look for themselves. Since I don't have time to buff out entire cars while shooting a TV show, to show our appreciation to Matt and Henry our appreciation we'll be sending them the Flex 3401 used on the set plus some other goodies to take care of the Avanti plus all the other cars in their car collection.

Easier to put swirl into the paint
    I think in this shot I was sharing that after all the years I've spent removing swirls out of show cars and showing others how to do the same that what I learned was it's easier to put swirls into the paint versus remove them and everyone had a good laugh.

Just having fun hanging with Dennis...

A shot for Nikki
    Nikki is the lady that cuts my hair and she asked me to get a picture for the wall of her studio. Nikki is also a "Car Gal" and you can see here car here.

Segment 2 - Flex Polishers
    This is a shot from the Flex segment, in this shot Dennis is asking me about the Flex 3403.

B-Roll
    You stand around a lot when they guys are getting B-Roll. Sometimes in shot, sometimes out of shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: Dennis Gage & Autogeek.net with a 1963 Studebaker Avanti on "My Classic Car"

Very cool Mike

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: Dennis Gage & Autogeek.net with a 1963 Studebaker Avanti on "My Classic Car"

Continued....

Strike the set!
    Strike the set is the term used to let everyone know it's time to jump into action and clear the set of the car and anything that's not going to be used to film the next segment. Here you can see Darlene walking out to remove all the Flex power tools while Matt is carefully backing the Avanti out of the studio.

1955 Ford F100
    The next segment will use this beautiful 1955 Ford F100. I took this shot to capture the two cars for Thursdays filming.

Matt and I
    We can't say thank you enough to Matt and his dad Henry for bringing their 1963 Studebaker Avanti to My Classic Car and then hanging out and helping while we shot film that day. I know I speak for Max when we say...

Thank you!

Here's Matt, Dennis and Matt's dad Henry
    This 1963 Studebaker Avanti is the most recent restoration project built by Matt and his dad Henry.

800 Pixels Wide
    All the photos in this thread are resized to 800 pixels wide which is perfect for e-mailing or use anywhere else on the Internet. Anyone that wants the full size pictures I also keep these copies.

Pretty cool looking car...

Before & AfterIn the shot above where you see everyone inspecting the results, here's what they were looking at only I captured these with the flash of my camera outside.

That's a wrap for the Avanti segments!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post, Mike! I have the DVR set for Velocity and I am really looking forward to your new segments!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Awesome!
    Thanks Mike... I always appreicate you're taking the time to chime in...

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post

Thanks for the post, Mike!

I have the DVR set for Velocity and I am really looking forward to your new segments!

Thank you for the comment... takes a little time to create a picture thread like this so comments are always appreciated.

I figure some of you guys and even gals might be interested to see what it's like behind the scenes on a TV set when shooting a TV show.

I'll try to get to the other cars this week...

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 80`s South Florida was the go to place to film movies.I was able to secure several jobs as an extra.

One movie with Peter Faulk (COLUMBO) I was hired to drive my 79 four speed Camaro in a police case and keep dumping the clutch and angering the sound man. Took five takes to get it right.

Later on the resort I worked for I was hired for seens to be filmed for "Miami Vice" which was a popular TV show back then.

I would produce food related products for the show. Most notably was when a made a center piece for Phil Collins on a boat at the resort. Not tall in stature he was but a nice guy.

Moral of this story is behind the seens there is an attitude of "HURRY UP AND WAIT". It sometimes can take 12 hours for 30 minutes of usable footage. I have been stepped on many of times on the Editors floor.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you got to love about Dennis is he is fun to be around, never a dull moment. Looks and sounded like the shooting went great!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, Mike!

The Avanti history is kind of amazing, as is the car itself. Studebaker was going broke, and needed a car that would help sales and create excitement for the brand. The release was fraught with problems, as the Avanti was fiberglass, and the techniques for 'fixing' problems that arose were different than metal, so actual production was delayed. The dealers were all prepared for a glorious premiere, but they didn't have the car.

The Avanti itself was years ahead of it's time, with supercharger optionss, styling, and safety features, but it didn't get off the ground because of the late release and Sudebaker's financial problems.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you might have had a little too much fun with Dennis!

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Awesome, Mike!

The Avanti history is kind of amazing, as is the car itself. Studebaker was going broke, and needed a car that would help sales and create excitement for the brand. The release was fraught with problems, as the Avanti was fiberglass, and the techniques for 'fixing' problems that arose were different than metal, so actual production was delayed. The dealers were all prepared for a glorious premiere, but they didn't have the car.

The Avanti itself was years ahead of it's time, with supercharger optionss, styling, and safety features, but it didn't get off the ground because of the late release and Sudebaker's financial problems.
    Great information - thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast