autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

removing oxidation on single stage paint. Cleaner of Final cut polish

What would be the best / most effective way to remove oxidation on single stage paint? a cleaner polish or a final cut polish? any recommandations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: removing oxidation on single stage paint. Cleaner of Final cut polish

Quote Originally Posted by 2shiny View Post
    What would be the best / most effective way to remove oxidation on single stage paint? a cleaner polish or a final cut polish? any recommendations?
    No brainer
    What are you working on?
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Mike Phillips

If the oxidation is bad then the cleaner polish

If the oxidation is light then a final cut polish.

I'm guessing you mean a medium cut polish when you write cleaner polish? Do you mean cleaner/wax?

And I'm guessing you mean a fine cut polish when your write final cut polish?

This article articulates most commonly used terms for paint are products...

Words mean things... just ask any Lawyer...

Word Definitions - Compounds, Polishes, Glazes, Paint Cleaners and Waxes

Post Thanks / Like

I meant a paint cleaner when I say cleaner polish.
    Well, let me say, I mean the one that cleans chemically, no abbrasives... (I really need to learn keeping all of them apart)
    working on a vauxhall astra that has turned faded green.

Mike Phillips

I meant a paint cleaner when I say cleaner polish.
    Well, let me say, I mean the one that cleans chemically, no abbrasives... (I really need to learn keeping all of them apart)
    working on a vauxhall astra that has turned faded green.

I think I list quite a few here...

The benefits of a light paint cleaner, cleansing lotion or pre-wax cleaner

While claying will remove above surface bonded contaminants, Pinnacle
    Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will remove embedded road grime and pollutants as you can
    see when we compare the applicator pad we used on the right to the brand new, clean applicator pad on the left.

What they are
    Paint Cleaners are typically liquid products that contain non-abrasive chemical cleaners and in some cases also mechanical abrasives of some type, suspended in a lubricating base.

What they do
    Paint cleaners gently clean the surface and in so doing, remove any light oxidation, foreign impurities, surface staining, accumulated pore-embedding dirt and built-up road grime.

When to use them
    Typically a paint cleaner is used before you apply your choice of wax or paint sealant. Specifically, a paint cleaner or pre-wax cleaner would be used after the car is washed and dried, and if the paint needs to be clayed, then after claying the paint with detailing clay but before applying a coat of wax or a paint sealant.

Order of Steps
    • Wash and dry car.

• Inspect finish with your clean hand to check for above surface bonded contaminants.

• Clay paint - If above surface bonded contaminants are discovered then use detailing clay to clay paint, if paint is smooth an glassy feeling you can skip claying.

• Clean Paint – Use a Paint Cleaner to gently massage the paint and restore a clear, clean surface.

• Seal Paint – Use a premium quality wax or paint sealant.
    If I clay first do I still have to use a paint cleaner?
    Yes. Detailing clay is most effective at removing above surface bonded contaminants but the use of detailing clay doesn’t automatically mean the clay will remove all of the other problems affecting the clarity and cleanliness of the paint.

Mike’s rule if thumb
    Anytime the paint on any car is neglected enough that it needs to be clayed, then chances are very good that it also needs to be cleaned. The two most important steps that will have the greatest effect on the end results when restoring neglected paint are the claying step and the paint cleaning step. They are both equally important and to skip one and only do the other would be to short your car’s paint from reaching it’s maximum potential and short yourself by leaving a little shine on the table… so to speak…

How to use them?
    Paint cleaners are generally formulated and targeted at people still working by hand although some can be used by machine. Always read the directions for application recommendations and follow the manufactures recommendations as they know their products abilities and limitations best.

By Hand

• Always work clean

• Use a clean, soft foam applicator pad, I really like these.

• Work on a cool surface in the shade

• Work a small area at a time, about 8" to 10" squarish or so...

• Use an "ample" amount of product, don't under-use and don't overuse to the point that you hyper-lubricate the surface but use enough to keep the surface lubricated throughout the process. I would use a teaspoon to a tablespoon of product, usually a tablespoon's amount to start with because your pad is dry when you start and some of the product is going to go into the pad, and after breaking in your pad then cut down to about a teaspoon's amount of product.

• Hold your hand flat to the pad, not vertical, the idea is to not put pressure ONLY on your fingertips but over the face of your fingers to avoid Fingermarks

• Spread the product out over the area you're going to work

• Work the product for about a minute, don't work till the product is dry, but it should go from an opaque film to a clear film

• Wipe off before residue dries

• When you move on to a new area overlap a little into the previous area
    By Machine
    For machine applications, normally you would be using some type of dual action polisher, for example the most popular polishers on the market today that are safe and easy to use on delicate clear coat paints include,

Porter Cable 7424XP
    Meguiar’s G110v2
    Griot’s Garage 6” ROP
    Flex 3401 VRG
    Cyclo Dual Head Orbital Polisher

For use with any of the above tools, you would want to,

• Work on a cool surface in the shade

• Use an ample amount of product, don’t under use and don’t over use the product.

• Use a soft polishing pad on a low to medium speed

• Make 4-6 Section Passes

• Work a small section at a time, no larger than 2 foot square and usually a little smaller is better

• Wipe-off residue after working each section

• Overlap a little into the previous section when starting a new section

• Maintain pad rotation but only apply light pressure.
    After cleaning your car’s paint either by hand or machine and wiping all the leftover residue off, the paint is now ready for application of your favorite wax or paint sealant.

The benefits to using a paint cleaner
    • Removes sub-surface and pore-embedding stains that washing and claying will not remove and your eyes cannot detect.

• Removes or improves fine swirls, scratches and other minor surface defects like water spots and etchings.

• Maximizes surface smoothness which maximizes gloss and shine.

• Restores optical clarity to clear coats so your eyes can see the true color underneath.

• Restores the full richness of color to single stage paints.

• Cleans the surface of any impurities that cold block or hinder the protection ingredients from bonding to or adhering to the paint.

• Helps your choice of wax or paint sealant to last long and thus protect longer because it can bond better.

• Helps your car’s paint to look better over the service life of the car.

• Maintaining your car’s appearance protects your investment.

• You're working forward in the process, not backwards.
    Paint Cleaners are easy to use and provide some of the biggest gains in creating a show car shine from your time, money and efforts.

My comments...

I often get asked,

Which paint cleaner is the best?

The answer is everything Autogeek carries is top quality so you can't make a wrong choice, but here's one way I look at it...

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

In simple words, I tend to be a system guy, that is I will tend to use all products from a single manufacture using a system approach. Here's how this works...

The chemists that formulate the first step products, since they know what's in them, they are better able to formulate the follow-up or next step products so there's a synergistic chemical compatibility. Using one product designed to be used after the results of the previous product is a system approach.

For example, if you're going to use Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax then use the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. If you're going to use the Wolfgang Fuzion, then use the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, and so and so on...

I use a lot of different product lines so I don't limit myself to just one manufacture, but when I'm polishing paint, I will tend to stay within a single brand for that specific project just for the Synergistic Chemical Compatibility factor.

Lots of detailers and enthusiasts like to mix and match when they detail and that's also perfectly acceptable, I call that... freestyling...

Further Resources
    The 2 primary benefits of using detailing clay to clay paint
    The Benefits of using a Car Wax or Paint Sealant

Paint Cleaners at Autogeek.net
    Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
    3M Scratch Remover
    Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite Cleaner Glaze
    Dodo Juice Lime Prime Pre-Wax Cleanser Polish
    Duragloss PreCleaner
    1Z Einszett Paint Polish
    Four Star Ultimate PreWax Cleanser
    Griot's Garage Fine Hand Polish
    Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner
    Meguiars SCRATCH X 2.0
    Meguiars SwirlX Swirl Remover
    Mothers California Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner
    Mothers California Gold Scratch Remover
    P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
    Poorboy's World Professional Polish
    SONAX Premium Class Paint Cleaner
    SONAX Paint Cleaner

Applicator Pads (for applying paint cleaners)
    CCS Red Wax/Sealant Applicator Pads 2 Pack
    CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators
    Pinnacle Polishin' Pal
    Wolfgang Polishin’ Pal Combo
    Wolfgang German Polish N’ Wax Applicator

Post Thanks / Like

...working on a vauxhall astra that has turned faded green.
    Waiting with much anticipation for a possible show-n-shine thread of this project

Happy detailing...
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike, that's what I was after. You have helped me alot (again)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Waiting with much anticipation for a possible show-n-shine thread of this project

Happy detailing...
    I'll make sure to be taking a lot of pictures and will make a show-n-shine thread!

Mike Phillips

Thank you Mike, that's what I was after. You have helped me alot (again)
    No problemo... that's what we're here for...

I'll make sure to be taking a lot of pictures and will make a show-n-shine thread!

Already looking forward to it...