autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

winter prep/product recomendations

I am new to the detailing world and with winter around the corner i want to protect my paint. I been thinking about buying the Mequiars DA Power system and all the power packs as a beginners polishing set. Will the polish and wax provided with these packs provide the winter protection i need. I was also looking at Collinite liquid insulator wax instead of using the Mequiars Wax Power Pack. I am on a tight budget so i cant afford the complete kits that are recommended on this site. Also looking for ease of application as i never detailed a car before so need something to jump start me towards expert detailing. There's so many products and so many techniques i am very overwhelmed. If the mequiars DA Power System is worth the purchase how many pads of all 3 (cutting, polishing, waxing) would i need to do an entire car (coupe). Or another option is finding a different product that will offer the protection but simple hand application and save up for a quality polishing system come summer time. Also stumbled upon the Klasse all in one auto polish... thoughts? I have had my car since fall and the only thing i have done was cleaned with Mequiars Wash & Wax Soap ( that yellow stuff you can get anywhere) so its got some light scratches and what not from never being properly detailed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: winter prep/product recomendations

Decon wash to remove all the wax you have put on. You can use Dawn or something like Chemical Guys citrus wash red. Clay it since it sounds like you never have. I would at least polish it after that and then apply the collinite 845. Make sure you let the 845 sit in the sun or soak the bottle in hot water before you apply it. It should be almost water thin. I would recommend getting a separate bottle to put it in like the Megs self cleaning bottle. Put a few ounces in there after you heat up the whole 845 bottle and have shaken well. You should only use 1-2 ounces to do an entire car. Pads will last you several details. So if you are only doing your one car for now, one of each pad should be all you need to get started.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
    I am new to the detailing world and with winter around the corner i want to protect my paint. I been thinking about buying the Mequiars DA Power system and all the power packs as a beginners polishing set.
    Rather than spend $60 for this system that uses a drill why not spend about $50 and get yourself a real DA polisher?? You can pick up a Harbor Freight DA polisher for about $50--granted you'll need to spend about $10-15 on a better 5" backing plate and $30 or so for pads, but you'll get yourself a real polisher that not only can apply wax/sealant, but really correct flaws in your paint. And, it's very easy and very safe for a beginner.

The other alternative is to do what is reasonable by hand now and get a good machine at a later date. Duragloss 501 (from their Marine line) is a great all in one product that provides strong cleaning power even by hand with significant protection--topped with Collinite 845 you'll have great protection to get you through the winter.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome guys thanks for the info. I'll look into that harbor freight polisher. Yea never clayed my car will have to look into buying a clay bar then as well. Now if only I had more free time on my hands to do all of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of a clay bar I suggest you buy a Nanoskin sponge, fine grade. It's cheaper, lasts a lot longer and takes a lot less time to do. Follow the link for price and all:

Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your budget, you can go this route. Klasse Kit

You would use these after your wash/clay step.

The products are easy to apply by hand, though won't do any correction to swirls. When you put the SG on top of the AIO, it will easily last six months. The nice thing with these products is you use VERY little, and those bottles will last a very, very long time.

Post Thanks / Like

My PC7424 died last Fall getting my vehicles ready for winter and I went with Meguiar's DAPS as the replacement (even had to buy a corded drill since I didn't have one).

I used it for the first time this Spring and love it. The 3" pads make it easier to get into tight spaces, it is more convenient for me to adjust pressure/speed as needed, and the system is aggressive enough assuming your car's finish is maintained to any degree. I have also really liked the UP/UW combo - great depth, shine and durability (for at least this past few months; I live in Wisconsin but can't attest to whether it will stand up to a Winter yet). It is also available at local retail stores (e.g. WalMart) which is handy for unexpected surprises.

I can understand why professional detailers wouldn't want to use it - 5.5" pads would certainly be faster and for them time is money. But for a "hobbyist", I think DAPS is hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get 3 inch plates and pads for DA polishers as well

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Depending on your budget, you can go this route. Klasse Kit

You would use these after your wash/clay step.

The products are easy to apply by hand, though won't do any correction to swirls. When you put the SG on top of the AIO, it will easily last six months. The nice thing with these products is you use VERY little, and those bottles will last a very, very long time.
    Yea thinking about going this route just to get me through the winter then come spring I'll focus on perfecting my paint with a polisher and what not.

I think I just need to take it one product at a time. Trying to piece together all of these options and techniques are making my head spin. When I have time I'll sit down and filter through all of the products you guys mentioned and post what I'm thinking about getting and see what you all think.

Micvog: thanks for the da power system review. Will have to really compare it to the HF da polisher, not sure how much a difference 5.5 or 3.5 inch pads will make in application time but I like the fact mequiars pieces together pads and compounds.

Thanks again guys

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright so started to look at some products and this is what i think i am going to end up doing to get me through the winter.
    Nanoskin Glide Instant Detail Spray Lubricant Concentrate
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge – Fine Grade
    Klasse Kit

It still comes to a little over 80 bucks before shipping slightly cheaper then getting the Mequiars DA Polisher and Power Packs but still leaves me needing a polisher come spring, however if i start putting a little money on the side now could easily get $250 for a good polisher and access. What do you guys think? Will this get the job done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast