autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Detail Guru's: Suggestions for working with GTR Paint...

Sooooo i've never really detailed my GTR and this week I had to pull the exhaust off of it because it's sold and i have a week of downtime before i can drive it again. so i decided this week i'm going to do a little work on it every night and eventually finish it with my first opti-coat application.

I've polished many cars...but never a GTR and i'm pretty sure many of you have worked with the paint. The car is pearl white and it's in very good condition. No major flaws...just a few hairline scratches here and there. I'm thinking there's no need to compound it.

I stripped it last night and tonight i clayed it hit a few small imperfections with scratch remover by hand and wiped it down with IPA. so i'm ready to polish it.

I'm going to use my Flex on the large areas and my PC on the smaller hard to reach areas.

I was thinking of using a Green B&S polishing pad with M205....but i'm open to suggestions considering i don't know the paint.

I have M105, m205, D151 (which i don't want to use before using opti-coat), UC, Menz SiP, Nano, 203.

Pads...i have B&S Green and Yellow...Hydro Tech in all colors, and flat LC pads in most colors.

Any suggestions would are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail Guru's: Suggestions for working with GTR Paint...

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post
    Sooooo i've never really detailed my GTR and this week I had to pull the exhaust off of it because it's sold and i have a week of downtime before i can drive it again. so i decided this week i'm going to do a little work on it every night and eventually finish it with my first opti-coat application.

I've polished many cars...but never a GTR and i'm pretty sure many of you have worked with the paint. The car is pearl white and it's in very good condition. No major flaws...just a few hairline scratches here and there. I'm thinking there's no need to compound it.

I stripped it last night and tonight i clayed it hit a few small imperfections with scratch remover by hand and wiped it down with IPA. so i'm ready to polish it.

I'm going to use my Flex on the large areas and my PC on the smaller hard to reach areas.

I was thinking of using a Green B&S polishing pad with M205....but i'm open to suggestions considering i don't know the paint.

I have M105, m205, D151 (which i don't want to use before using opti-coat), UC, Menz SiP, Nano, 203.

Pads...i have B&S Green and Yellow...Hydro Tech in all colors, and flat LC pads in most colors.

Any suggestions would are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Try one stepping using an orange or yellow pad using 205. OR use the yellow/orange pad with 105 followed by 205 and the green or black

I've hardly ever seen a car that wouldn't benefit from a 2 step polish

Post Thanks / Like

Ended up using Meg's UC on a yellow B&S pad followed by a green B&S pad with M205. Looks about 90-95% corrected. My wife was amazed when she came out to the garage.

Few panels a night. Steady as she goes.

Final pics will be posted this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post
    Ended up using Meg's UC on a yellow B&S pad followed by a green B&S pad with M205. Looks about 90-95% corrected. My wife was amazed when she came out to the garage.

Few panels a night. Steady as she goes.

Final pics will be posted this weekend.

I think UC is 105 with a different label. I bet it looks real swell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think UC is 105 with a different label. I bet it looks real swell
    UC has a bit less cut than 105 but dusts much less and has a longer working time.

I love it.