autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New car and I want to protect it

I just bought a new car and I want to protect both the inside and outside of it. I just want to know what the best way to do this is. So, I've spent a few hours reading through the boards and see several opinions but I wanted to hear from anyone who has used Optimum Opti Coat (or similar products) and which one's you swear by.

I refused to let Nissan put their own 'protectants' on my car. I've got leather and carpeted interior. So what should I put on it? Should I pay an auto detailer to do this?

Also if I pay a detailer to apply Opti and guard the interior, does anyone have any recommendations for someone in say the Springfield, MO, Tulsa, OK or KC, MO markets that you trust? I want this done correctly. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car and I want to protect it

here is what I did to my 2013 Accord sport
    13 Accord protection

Post Thanks / Like

Jeremy Wayne
    Welcome to Status Auto Detailing, Springfield Mo.

^Member here based in Springfield, MO

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I would not have the dealer do anything. For my new 2013 Accord, after claying the car, I sealed the paint with wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant, and then waxed it with Wolfgang Fuzion. I maintain the paint by using Pinnacle XMT Spray Wax every other week. For the plastic and rubber trim I used Cquartz Dlux. The windows I use good old fashion Rain X. Interior leather, dash and trim is coated with Ultima Interior Guard Plus. This product leaves the surface looking natural, not glossy and greasy.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are definitely on the right track in going with a coating. Don't waste your time waxing.

After the coating is applied you just need to maintain by proper washing and perhaps hitting it with a coating friendly topper once in a while after washing.

I'd go with carpro hydro2 applied on the coating every three months. It can't get easier.

Enjoy the new car.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

- 22PLE for paint coating.
    - Leatherique for leather.
    - 303 products for trim and carpet protection.
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for all of the input!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new car! You are correct to not let the dealership add their protectants. Dealerships can be notoriously bad at detailing, that is not to say all but a large majority. If anything it is mostly an F&I department money maker that is really an insurance scam with so many out clauses it's worthless. For the money you would typically spend you could build yourself a very nice detailing kit two times over.

With that said, what do you want out of your car? Do you want low maintenance? Or don't mind maintenance to achieve a higher gloss? Also, where in the country do you live? Winter weather can be just three months away.

For me in the mid Atlantic region and I like to go skiing quite a bit. Clean the car right, iron-x it, nano-skin it with glide (claying), then use Gtechniq P2 jeweling polish with a red lake county pad to get any imperfections out and to shine it up (great on the headlights and taillights plastics) and it wipes off to an incredibly clean surface, then use Gtechniq's panel wipe (or make your own solution of alcohol wipe and distilled water) to make sure the surface is clean. Now you are ready to apply a coating. Lots of good products out there, I would look for a good base that will add durability from Gtechiniq C1 to cQuartz or what ever. Then wait a week to top it with Klasse High gloss sealant applied in the wipe off with a light detail spray method (three times over for the highest gloss). Remove the car wheels apply opti-coat to them, also if it is a van or very large SUV where the roof is hard to access opti-coat that too for maintenance convenience.

Interior, I like 303 products but you do need to reapply every three to four months. Ultima interior products seem to be gaining in reputation but I don't know much about them.

Glass coating can be what ever you are willing to spend.

Now, your ready to roll. It will take about four working days to complete but hey, no one's going to do it quite as well as you are unless you pay well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClayR View Post
    With that said, what do you want out of your car? Do you want low maintenance? Or don't mind maintenance to achieve a higher gloss? Also, where in the country do you live? Winter weather can be just three months away.
    I'm a pharmacist so I don't mind shelling out some$ just to keep my car looking like new. I don't necessarily mind the maintenance but I don't always have the time to do every little detail (no pun intended). Having said that, I am in the midwest SE KS/SW MO and winters can be tough on paint here.

As for what I want out of the car I would say that this is what I want out of it
    1) Help to protect it's resale value by keeping the exterior/interior in pristine condition
    2) Protect the paint from the harsh winter weather
    3) Be as low maintenance as possible
    4) I would put the shine/gloss as a last priority here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dazerack View Post
    I'm a pharmacist so I don't mind shelling out some$ just to keep my car looking like new. I don't necessarily mind the maintenance but I don't always have the time to do every little detail (no pun intended). Having said that, I am in the midwest SE KS/SW MO and winters can be tough on paint here.

As for what I want out of the car I would say that this is what I want out of it
    1) Help to protect it's resale value by keeping the exterior/interior in pristine condition - This comes from proper maintenace washing and drying as well as polishing and reapplying protection when needed

2) Protect the paint from the harsh winter weather - can be achieved from many products. Traditional sealants and waxes are fine, but coatings are superior.

3) Be as low maintenance as possible - Sounds like a coating is becoming the clear choice

4) I would put the shine/gloss as a last priority here - too bad, your car will be very shiny if it meets the criteria for #'s 1-3
    My response is posted in bold in the above quote

Retired Professional Detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast