autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Cleaned & Coated in 3 Hours - 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Here's a brand new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After inspecting the paint in the sun there were no swirls or scratches. So luckily the dealership has not washed it or buffed it as the paint is pretty much flawless. I also did the Baggie Test and did not feel any type of contamination on the paint.

Waterless Wash
    The car was lightly dirty so first thing I wiped the car clean using Detailer's Waterless Auto Wash. I started at 10:15am.

40 minutes to wipe clean
    About 40 minutes later I had wiped the entire car down including the wheels, lowest parts of the car, the roof and even the roof rack plus all the glass, grill and trim.

Machine Prep Paint
    Although the paint felt rubbery like there was no wax or anything on it I wanted to make sure it was perfectly clean and prepared for coating so I machine applied Detailer's Paint Coating Prep using a Porter Cable 7424XP on the 5.0 speed setting. To apply the product I used a 5.5" Hydro-Tech Tangerine Polishing Pad.

I started this right at 11:00am.

1 Hour to prep paint
    It took me approximately 1 hour to run the polisher over every inch of the body panels and I also machine cleaned all the glass. The way I did this was to machine clean the entire Cherokee all at once and then I wiped the entire car down to remove the Detailer's Paint Coating Prep. You can if you like, remove the prep as you finish a panel as this product does not need to dry. I find it faster to do the machine application all at once and then wipe down the entire car all at one time. I wore microfiber gloves to help me grip the microfiber towels and to also avoid getting any skin oils onto the freshly cleaned and wiped paint.

Ready to apply Detailer's Paint Coating
    It was noon and I was all ready to apply the coating but I took a break from this project to make some phone calls and get something cold to drink.

Break time over...
    Took this picture after I returned from my break just to document the accurate times for each step.

45 Minutes to apply and remove Detailer's Paint Coating
    I applied the Detailer's paint coating to one body panel at a time and then carefully inspected the panel to wipe-off any high spots or technically, excess product residue.

Note I left one section on the passenger side of the hood un-touched except for wiping clean with the Detailer's Waterless Wash.

Then I shot this video...

Clean and coat bare section on hood
    Then I removed the tape and machine applied the Detailer's Paint Coating Prep followed by application of the Detailer's Paint Coating. This probably took me about 10 to 15 minutes.

All the glass was coated with the Detailer's Glass Coating

Here's the after shots...

Here's the products I used...

On Autogeek.net

Detailer's Paint Coating Prep

Detailer's Paint Coating

Gold Foam Finger Pockets

Detailer's Waterless Auto Wash

Black Nitrile Gloves

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaned & Coated in 3 Hours - 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Looks beautiful Mike, excellent work as always
    Certainly makes the process much easier when the vehicle is defect free from the start.

The 2014 Grand Cherokee is a very nice ride
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

How many section passes when applying the coating prep polish?
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Audi X2 View Post

Certainly makes the process much easier when the vehicle is defect free from the start.
    100% agree with you on that. I actually cannot remember a car in the last few years or even decades that I didn't have to at least do one machine polishing step and also remove contaminants at least off the horizontal panels.

The paint on this was immaculate and quite frankly, I was surprised, impressed and even happy about it.

About a month ago I detailed a guys Mercedes- Benz and while it was in great shape, garage kept it still needed to be clayed and because I clayed it I went ahead and machine polished it. I need to get that write-up posted to as that was a 2-hour, $200.00 detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Audi X2 View Post

The 2014 Grand Cherokee is a very nice ride
    That's what I've heard... unlike my truck which not only highlights every bump in the road but also maximizes every bump in road.

Quote Originally Posted by c8n View Post

How many section passes when applying the coating prep polish?

You know that's a really good question. I'd say about 3 section passes but not like removing swirls and scratches because you don't have to press hard and you can tackle larger sections at a time. Think of how you would hand apply a paint cleaner to simply remove light surface impurities and that's how I ran the polisher over the paint.

Another way to think of it is how you machine apply a finishing wax. After you've done all the correction and polishing work, when you go to machine apply a finishing wax or finishing sealant, you can pretty much move the polisher over the surface fairly quickly and tackle as much area as you can reach. The goal is clean the paint thoroughly but paint like this didn't have much to clean off.

I will say this, the paint felt rubber before I started, I also mention this in the video. After using the Paint Coating Prep the paint felt very smooth, so whatever was on the paint was removed. Then after applying the coating the paint went from smooth to slick and glassy.

And I did run the pad over each square inch though, I didn't skimp at all. So the entire front portions of the Jeep and the back hatch and even the fender moldings and very lowest portions of the sides had the paint coating prep machine polished over them. Even in-between the chrome grill inserts as I tipped the pad on edge to get into this tight area.

Then all the panels were carefully and very thoroughly wiped clean. After the first pass around the car I even made a second pass to make sure all residues were removed off not only the paint but all the black plastic trim and moldings and the rubber gaskets around all the side glass and the sunroof glass.

This Jeep was surgically clean before I applied the coating. And believe me while I didn't rush, I did work fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brand new cars, my favorite to clean lol. I absolutely love the new grand Cherokees and they look their best in white! How long is the glass coating supposed to last? I would like to compare it to flyby30.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job again Mike ! Well organized as well . Experience talks .

Post Thanks / Like

Dang that looks good!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Mike!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post

Brand new cars, my favorite to clean lol. I absolutely love the new grand Cherokees and they look their best in white!
    I rarely work on anything in good condition let along "excellent" condition. Nice change for once.

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    How long is the glass coating supposed to last? I would like to compare it to flyby30.
    Product info I think says up to 2 years. Things like this always depend on "how the car is treated".

Quote Originally Posted by sproketser View Post

Great job again Mike ! Well organized as well . Experience talks .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfour View Post

Dang that looks good!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post

Looking good Mike!

Thanks guys... I was surprised at how little time I had into considering the wiping and machine polishing, I figured another hour but it was right at 3 hours, a little less if you were to cut out the time I spent setting up shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work Mike. The Jeep is well protected.

The information on DP products is spot on for anyone questioning how to apply. All three DP coatings are easy to apply and can be applied very quickly with the spray bottles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast