autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

help picking product/machine to remove body side molding lines and dull bed side caps-stepside bed. sun damage

guys,
    need some help picking product and machine to help me with a newly acquired truck. its a 99 step bed sierra. the top of the step bed is chaulky (the clear is hazy almost) i also removed the body side mouldings, all the glue is gone but i still have some lines that remain. i have a porter cable da and this meguires kit that i purchased several months ago Meguiars Swirl-Free Kit for Machine Application, Meguiars Swirl Remover Kit, Meguiars Machine Polishing Kit
    i also have a dewalt rotary that i've used with this kit on my boat Gel Coat Labs Rotary Total Polishing Kit, boat polishing kit, remove oxidation, rotary polisher

i have not used the pc on a car yet, or the rotary on a car just the boat...do i have anything above that i can try on the truck or do you guys have any suggestions as to what products/machine to try?

thanks
    andy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help picking product/machine to remove body side molding lines and dull bed side caps-stepside bed. sun damage

Well Andy I would start with you DA and M105 and a yellow polishing pad for this as I have removed side molding from a number of trucks and I was able to polish out the area very nicely with that combo.

What other bads do you hvae other than the light cutting pads?
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: help picking product/machine to remove body side molding lines and dull bed side caps-stepside bed. sun damage

Evan-
    thanks for the fast response! below is what i have as far as pads. all are for the rotary except the 6.5 lights-those are for the da

2 CCS Red 6.5 inch Ultrasoft Wax/Sealant Foams

2 - 7.5 inch Electrified White Sheepskin Final Polishing Pads
    2 - 7.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool 100% Twisted Wool Cutting Pads
    2 Lake Country Orange Low Profile Light Cutting 5.5 inch Foam Pads

thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Meg's Ultimate Compound works really well on oxidized paints /CC's and very easy to work with and found at any store.
    As said the 105 would work too.
    I agree, use a yellow pad, you'll need it.

Always thought about removimg my side moldings on my 96' GMC pickup but worried the glue would be a pain to remove?
    I also have moldings on my front and rear bumper that I never really cared for.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    Meg's Ultimate Compound works really well on oxidized paints /CC's and very easy to work with and found at any store.
    As said the 105 would work too.
    I agree, use a yellow pad, you'll need it.

Always thought about removimg my side moldings on my 96' GMC pickup but worried the glue would be a pain to remove?
    I also have moldings on my front and rear bumper that I never really cared for.

i used an eraser wheel on the tape/glue reside and it worked awesome...just need to clean up the paint. i'll pick up some megs ultimate compound, thanks for the suggestion. as far as yellow pads would these be appropriate?
    Lake Country Kompressor 6 Inch Foam Pads, foam buffing pads, slotted foam pads, Lake Country compressed foam pads

Post Thanks / Like

Those pads will work nicely for you.
    Thanks for the tip on how to remove the glue.

Quote Originally Posted by andy9743 View Post
    i used an eraser wheel on the tape/glue reside and it worked awesome...just need to clean up the paint. i'll pick up some megs ultimate compound, thanks for the suggestion. as far as yellow pads would these be appropriate?
    Lake Country Kompressor 6 Inch Foam Pads, foam buffing pads, slotted foam pads, Lake Country compressed foam pads