autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove Orange Peel using a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Here's the deal...

Correctly done, all you're going to remove is the hills or bumpy portions leaving the majority of the clear intact.

If I were going to do it I would use the Denim pads because it will be faster as they are more effective.

Stick with the best brand compounds and take your time.

Also, consider only doing the verticle panels since this is a truck and harder to look down on the hood. The SUN shines on the hood more and you need all the factory paint and UV protection inside the factory clear that you can get for the paint to last over the service life of the mechanicals.

Make sense?

See page 2 of my article,

Beginning Clearcoat Failure.... --> good info...

Thanks mike!

Hey mike Ive come to conclusion you are an octopus.

No hear me out. There is no humanly way any one could keep up with all the thread questions and posts like you do with only two arms. And not only this thread but every other one out there!

Not to mention detail cars and post videos and hell even eat and breathe. Lol!.

I will say not only are you a master of multitasking and time management but you are hands down the best admin of a forum ive ever been part of.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post

Thanks mike!

No hear me out. There is no humanly way any one could keep up with all the thread questions and posts like you do with only two arms. And not only this thread but every other one out there!

I will say not only are you a master of multitasking and time management but you are hands down the best admin of a forum ive ever been part of.

That's funny but a very nice compliment. Thank you.

It helps to be a bit of a speed typist because I do a lot of other things behind the scenes that are more garage/detailing related.

I take pride in running a top notch forum. It's a lot of work or a lot of typing but I know what it's like to go to a forum for help that is NOT top notch and if I don't get even mediocre help I usually never go back.

So I use my own experience of what I don't like about other forums to make sure this forum is never anything like them. It takes more time but to me it's worth it and it's also a part of customer service here at Autogeek and Max the owner of Autogeek is very keen on all his employees offering top quality customer service.

Don't forget to share our forum with all your car buddies, that's called win/win business.

Thank you again for the kind words...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mike!

If one can ever join one of the Thursday night makeovers in the AGG here in Stuart, FL.and the camera is not rolling you would have the pleasure of seeing another side of Mike.He always retains his team leadership yet allows us to joke among ourselves.We always bring the paint to it`s maximum potential with the allotted time but have fun doing so.One thing I learned early on is when we put on one white microfiber glove to apply wax, sealant or coating(LSP) is no reference to Michael Jackson(who by the way I cooked for he and the rest of his family for a week on the Thriller tour in 1984 and Michael would not shake my hand even with the glove on...unusual person but great musical artist.)
    A little off topic but some incite as to Mike`s somewhat playful side and always willing to listen to others opinions on polishing paint.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i wish i lived in FL just for all the classes and events autogeek hosts. Ive been to meguires thursday night open garage and it was not as personal as i thought it might be. To many ppl and not to much orginization at all. The only cool thing i thought was all the free full sized products. I mean they had about 5 tables full of products that you could test and have. But there wasnt much to learn for a new guy there. Chemical guys just opened a class too that i might attend soon as i get the money. Autogeek needs a location on the West coast even if its a little shop that is rented out and done every 6 mo.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way mike how many of those pads did you use to do the whole truck? Im about to order them but im not sure how many im going to need.

Mike Phillips

By the way mike how many of those pads did you use to do the whole truck? Im about to order them but Im not sure how many Im going to need.

We only removed the orange peel off the hood.

If you read the write-up I share that the HOOD was repainted and has horrible orange peel and die back. The rest of the streetrod had some pretty decent Glasurit paint it's just coated with yellow overspray and filled with lots of swirls and scratches.

We addressed the orange peel, removed all of the overspray and removed all of the swirls and scratches.

I included the link to the full write-up for this project in the first post...

1949 Chevy 5-Window Pickup Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Videos

This write-up, (the one you're reading), is a spin-off of the original post just like the below two articles are spin-offs from the original...

A $4.00 Plastic Drop Cloth could have prevented this...

How to remove overspray paint using the Cyclo Polisher

If you're going to use Denim pads over an entire car to remove orange peel just like any buffing pad... more pads = better.

But I'd get 6 at a minimum.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I will have to try the Bug Sponge for pad cleaning

Using the normal nylon pad brush takes too long

I used a much larger stiff plastic brush from Mother's with good results.

I suggest brushing with the "grain" of the denim. Brush from the middle out towards the edge...rotate 180 degrees and repeat. I believe this technique decreases damage to the edge if the pad.

Used four 5.3" and two 3" pads for the vertical panels on a Yukon.
    Would have been nice to have twice that many as they do get progressively more difficult to clean.

I washed the pads using Dawn and a brush. They came out great.

Please, please...buy extra tape and use it. You must tape every body line and edge or you will get yourself in trouble. The 1/8" 3M Vinyl Tape (Blue) is very useful on raised body lines when using Denim.

I used M105 with good results. Of course it dusts...you are removing more clear than when compounding and it has to go somewhere.

I used my FLEX 3401 with the 5.3" and my old PC with the 3".
    Technique is paramount when using direct drive machines. The FLEX will quickly "remind you" if the denim pad is not perfectly flat on the paint

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Used Denim again this weekend with M100, M105 & FG400

#1 M100

#2 M105
    Cuts faster than M100, but more dust and able to get fewer passes out of it

#3 FG400
    Denim did not agree with FG
    Didn't want to cut
    Gummed up and stuck to the paint

Mike Phillips