autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Applied Meguiar's Show Car Glaze 7 after claying

Morning MP et al.,

After claying the hood on my maroon vehicle, i noticed that there were many water spots and stains still remaining. Looking through my auto arsenal, I saw that I had rubbing compound and the glaze 7 as choices. I figured the glaze was less abrasive quoting that it's a "polish" as opposed to a compound. Went over the entire hood and it did gleam like a mirror so the process did work, I think. After reading the true properties of this product, that it's not a real abrasive process and that it's oil based, I wonder if it's just masking the blemishes I was trying to remove. I did apply a coat of Signature 2 over it and esthetically the car looks awesome. It's a daily used, clearcoated vehicle so I was curious what I should look for regarding the spotting reappear ,and what applications should I perform to make the finish on the hood more permanent. In other words, should I continue applying waxes or should I clay again and start from scratch, no pun intended.........

Thanks and be well.......elliot

P.S., Will claying remove the oil glaze as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Applied Meguiar's Show Car Glaze 7 after claying

You could try using a light polish such as M205 or Megs Swirl remover 2.0 the latter is available OTC at any auto part place for the most part. It will have light abrasives to actually correct, not mask, the issues youre dealing with.

This is assuming they DO come back, of course.

hopefully they are gone...

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, and didn't want to get too abrasive on a DD...

-I'd wait a couple weeks 'til the Sig. Series II wore-off some; Then:

-Wash (and: "Re-clay"...if, and only if, the baggie-test warrants it to be done); Which, all-in-all:

-Gives you time to get some (in, relatively-speaking: "order-of-aggressiveness"):
    3M IHG, Meguiar's 205, SwirlX, ScratchX, or Ultimate Compound....
    Some of which are available OTC for immediate 'trial & error'-efforts.

JMO...Without actually being there in person.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by michelliot View Post

Morning MP et al.,

After claying the hood on my maroon vehicle,

What is the maroon vehicle?

Is it a classic car with single stage paint?

Or a new car with a basecoat clearcoat finish?

Most of my writing about #7 is on the topic of restoring antique single stage paint on classic cars in which it is IMPORTANT to the owner of the car to preserve the original paint.

Like this...

4 Steps to restore single paint paint - 1972 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE

Here's before...

Here's after...

Note, we only did the hood, not the tops of the fenders, if you look at the pictures above I carefully taped the fenders off.

And this...

Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

And "yes", #7 is NON-abrasive. If you want to actually remove swirls, scratches and water spots you'll want to use something that is abrasive and I explain that each time I write about this product also.

Post Thanks / Like

#7 generally doesn't cover up water spots. My guess is that they weren't embedded and that you've removed them permanantly

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good Flash,

and Mike,

The MAROON VEHICLE is an 09 Accord that hadn't had any real surface treatments besides washing and waxing since birth. I put it through a regimen of products (non-powered) referring to yours and other inmates' recommendations. I'm truly pleased as to the outcome in its present state. Hopefully the water spots were removed rather than masked and it's ready to lead a "Life of Riley", for those who can relate, including regular inspections that will be dealt with immediately upon diagnosis.

Thanks for the help.......elliot

Having purchased a new Camry, which took the Accord's side of the driveway, I couldn't let it think that he was being neglected. They both have to be washed within a couple of days of each other so we don't show any favoritism ya know. If we take care of them, they'll do likewise by transporting us where we want to go without incidence. And to me, an artist by trade, esthetics are almost as important as the mechanics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michelliot View Post
    Sounds good Flash,

and Mike,

The MAROON VEHICLE is an 09 Accord that hadn't had any real surface treatments besides washing and waxing since birth. I put it through a regimen of products (non-powered) referring to yours and other inmates' recommendations. I'm truly pleased as to the outcome in its present state. Hopefully the water spots were removed rather than masked and it's ready to lead a "Life of Riley", for those who can relate, including regular inspections that will be dealt with immediately upon diagnosis.

Thanks for the help.......elliot

Having purchased a new Camry, which took his place on that side of the driveway, I couldn't let him think that he was being neglected. They have to be washed within a couple of days of each other. We can't show favoritism ya know. If we take care of them, they'll take us where we want to go without incidence.

You say your car is sitting in the driveway now? You need to do everything you can to keep irrigation/sprinkler water off of your car.

I hope my guess was right. Check back in after the next wash and let us know what's up

Life of Riley ...I can relate. I live it everyday!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Flash, I certainly shall....