autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing glass using a DA

This message is for Mike but if anyone else knows you are welcome to post...

So I just watched your video explaining how to polish glass using a rotary buffer and Pinacle glass polish.

I don't have a rotary buffer yet, kinda scared of them to be honest with all the horror stories... anyway, if I am to do this with a Meguiar DA, what pad do you suggest I use and what speed? I was thinking Microfiber cutting pad with high speed (5)? Is that too agressive? I figure glass is super hard and it will need a lot of correction power from a DA.

I have polished glass in the past using a polishing pad and Meguiar Polish. I don't know how effective it was since it was the first time I did it and had no guidelines to follow. I used a paint sealant on the windshield once it was polished. Owner of the car was super happy about it when I talked to him the following week. I don't know if what I did is as good as using the dedicated glass polish or not. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing glass using a DA

He says you can use a DA in his video, and hes using a cyan cutting pad:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X17e8QDqgXU]How to remove water spots off glass - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

That's a rotary buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

The only way you are going to get rid of swirls in glass is if you get CarPro's CeriGlass Polish along with their Glass Rayon Pads. Even then its still going to take many hours of work with a DA. Not to mention its a messy process. The Griots DA would be the best one to use if you plan on doing this.

Oh and next time try searching up glass polishing. There's lots of threads on this topic.
    REMOVAL of Glass Scratches with CarPro and a Griots DA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    The only way you are going to get rid of swirls in glass is if you get CarPro's CeriGlass Polish along with their Glass Rayon Pads. Even then its still going to take many hours of work with a DA. Not to mention its a messy process. The Griots DA would be the best one to use if you plan on doing this.

Oh and next time try searching up glass polishing. There's lots of threads on this topic.
    REMOVAL of Glass Scratches with CarPro and a Griots DA
    Yep. Foam pads and Pinnacle Glass Polish wont do it. That stuff will clean the glass, but not remove scratches. Glass is very hard. But, you can do it. You just need Ceri Glass and CarPro Glass Pads.

Post Thanks / Like

OH and fyi dont get the 3 inch rayon pads unless you're planning on making this process super long. I havent dont my glass polishing yet but i have everything i need. Its just going to take a hell of long time with the 3 inchers plus i have a porter cable lol so i cant see myself removing a lot of defects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Yep. Foam pads and Pinnacle Glass Polish wont do it. That stuff will clean the glass, but not remove scratches. Glass is very hard. But, you can do it. You just need Ceri Glass and CarPro Glass Pads.
    +1. This is a rock star combination for intensive glass correction.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, why are you talking about removing scratches from glass. Watch the video. What I need to know is that pad to use with a DA to polish glass before applying the sealant...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Guys, why are you talking about removing scratches from glass. Watch the video. What I need to know is that pad to use with a DA to polish glass before applying the sealant...
    We are assuming polishing is removing defects. If your just cleaning up the glass you can really use any polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

When I polish glass I use Cerium Oxide Powder and mix it with water.
    The DA moves this very watery liquid around to much.
    I use my rotary with a 3" glass polishing pad and it works great, you don't need a huge pad.
    I mostly do this for water spotting or deep scratches.

What exactly are you trying to do? Just polish the glass? or scratch removal?
    If you just want to shine up the glass then I would clay and spray with a spray wax or RainX.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast