autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Polishing glass using a DA

Quote Originally Posted by Unscratch View Post

Has anyone else had success with getting deep scratches out of classic car glass?

I have before and after pictures removing a long scratch out of the "inside" of a 1987 Ferrari windshield.

It was right in front of the steering wheel and it wasn't fun...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I have before and after pictures removing a long scratch out of the "inside" of a 1987 Ferrari windshield.

It was right in front of the steering wheel and it wasn't fun...
    Honestly, I don't even attempt those types of scratches! Weren't you working upside down? How did it come out? Let's see those pics! I just did a 67 Lamborghini 400GT, both side windows were gouged. Not sure how to embed youtube video's. Any idea? I only have the link to youtube video.

67 Lamborghini 400GT glass scratch repairs

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Unscratch View Post

Honestly, I don't even attempt those types of scratches! Weren't you working upside down? How did it come out? Let's see those pics!

Yes I was working upside down. If you think a Ferrari is cramped to sit in the normal way, trying laying on your back in the front seat with your legs sticking out and trying to run a rotary buffer between the steering wheel and the windshield for 2 hours.

I was able to remove the scratch, it took a long time as I didn't want to get the glass too hot. Somewhere at home I have the pictures on my personal computer but here's the car...

Single stage read paint, buffed out using the Flex 3401 with the Wolfgang Twins and sealed with Wolfgang Fuzion...

Post Thanks / Like

I have before and after pictures removing a long scratch out of the "inside" of a 1987 Ferrari windshield. It was right in front of the steering wheel and it wasn't fun...
    Ok, now I have to ask...how did they get such a bad scratch INSIDE the windshield?

At this time there is no dedicated product in the Diamondite line for abrading glass to remove subsurface defects
    Too bad the Diamondite Glass Resurfacing Crčme is no longer available.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was working upside down. If you think a Ferrari is cramped to sit in the normal way, trying laying on your back in the front seat with your legs sticking out and trying to run a rotary buffer between the steering wheel and the windshield for 2 hours.

I was able to remove the scratch, it took a long time as I didn't want to get the glass too hot. Somewhere at home I have the pictures on my personal computer but here's the car...

Single stage read paint, buffed out using the Flex 3401 with the Wolfgang Twins and sealed with Wolfgang Fuzion...

Is that the 308 GTS or 328 GTS?

What a beauty!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking about polishing glass. The other day I was using a microfiber applicator pad with pinnacle waterspot remover, after rubbing it on my rear window, I now see some scratches that I didn't see before using the pinnacle product.

Does anyone know if it is possible to put scratches in glass with the pinnacle waterspot remover?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    If you Watch the video, you will know why I am asking.

That is why I was asking Mike since he made the video.

The polishing is to remove the grime from the glass surface before sealing it. In the video he uses a Rotary Buffer with an Hybrid Pad.

He mentions it can also be done with a DA or by hand but gives no suggestions on what to use.
    I was simply asking what he would use if he was to do it with a DA instead of a rotary.

Meguiars M04 works to clean-up auto-glass pretty daggone good when it's on a foam
    polishing/cutting pad (least aggressive first), that's attached to a DA's backing plate.

Use M04 on a terry cloth towel in the areas where the "machine" can't reach.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents.

I hate polishing scratches out of glass! It is possible, but it is so time consuming and hard. Just glad CC isn't as hard!

Water spots and grime, very easy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionDetail View Post
    Talking about polishing glass. The other day I was using a microfiber applicator pad with pinnacle waterspot remover, after rubbing it on my rear window, I now see some scratches that I didn't see before using the pinnacle product.

Does anyone know if it is possible to put scratches in glass with the pinnacle waterspot remover?
    I don't see how, possible you had some grit on the glass or in your applicator that is responsible. Auto glass seems to be crazy soft these days.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Ok, now I have to ask...how did they get such a bad scratch INSIDE the windshield?
    I heard it came from a watch band rubbing against it while someone was cleaning the glass. I just did the exterior buff-out...

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

Is that the 308 GTS or 328 GTS?

What a beauty!
    328 GTS I believe... I have more pictures somewhere. It's my opinion that the only way to buff out exotics is with a lift otherwise you're bending over a lot... save for Vettes...

This one had burn-through in a couple of places...

And was a total swirled-out mess when I got to it...

After - (Sorry for the iPhone pics)

If I come across the glass scratch pictures I'll post them. The thing that saved me was having the Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher as the compact size allowed it to fit between the glass and the steering wheel with a custom 3" pad I made with a 3" flexible backing plate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast