autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Best choice for medium/aggressive clay?

Hey guys,

Recently, my dad traded in his fusion for a (brand new) 2012 mustang. Since it is a 2012 purchased new in 2013, you could imagine the amount of industrial fallout imbedded in the paint.

With its first detail, I used a griots clay bar (I believe that's a light clay,right?) it did great on the side panels, but the fallout is so bad on the decklid, roof and hood that it barely did anything for me.

I'm looking at either poorboys clay (medium) or Meg's red aggressive clay. What do you guys think my best bet would be?
    '93 Blue Mustang GT,'01 Chrome Yellow Ranger Edge,'02 Blue Expedition XLT, '09 Black Focus SES, '12 Dark Sterling Gray Mustang V6 MCA Edition, '95 Rio Red SVT Cobra

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best choice for medium/aggressive clay?

I would go ClayMagic Blue -or- BF PolyClay, then Claymagic Red -or- Megs Red.

You should be able to get the ClayMagic Blue Locally. ClayMagic is usually my go to clay bar when needed for more aggressive stuff.

I have tried and been using BF PolyClay as well. It is fairly aggressive. When I asked about it I was told it was about as aggressive as you can go before creating a bunch of marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chemical guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes350 View Post
    Chemical guys
    Would you recommend the medium, or heavy?
    '93 Blue Mustang GT,'01 Chrome Yellow Ranger Edge,'02 Blue Expedition XLT, '09 Black Focus SES, '12 Dark Sterling Gray Mustang V6 MCA Edition, '95 Rio Red SVT Cobra

Post Thanks / Like
    Nanoskin medium grade wash mitt . Faster and more effective in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys. The bars are big and priced better. I never used the purple but the medium and fine clays are great.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

I use Meg's blue clay for just about everything. IMO this is a perfect bar for getting through just about everything without pulling out the red bar for the heavy stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

One point I did forget to make. All clay bars in the US are made by one company because of the patent. The only difference is color. Companies like CG, Meguiars, Mothers HAVE to buy the clay. They can request it to be colored differently so the consumer thinks they are buying something different. The non US patent company is held by a Japanese company that clay cannot be sold to US companies for retail sales. Unless you are purchasing it from another country it's all the same. I don't really think there is any difference from the two different patented formulas. So buy a name brand name on sale or bogo at least you know your getting the real deal and not something off ebay that someone made themselves ( I have heard mixed reviews about the generic bars). That way your getting your money's worth. It's all the same. That's why I buy CG. Big bars at a cheaper price. I'm sure you could call them and ask if you bought a larger qty they might give you a better discount. All the grades are the same. I have used Meguiars, CG, Clay Magic, Sonas and Mother's. I have yet to see a difference in quality or performance. With Meguiars and CG you know exactly what grade you are getting Aggressive, medium or fine. So that is the bottom line on clay. Find the grade and google for the best price and buy it. I know CG runs specials very often so you likely to get a better price per bar. They also have a two bar kit with clay lube. The lube is good but you will go through a half bottle of spray to clay a whole car. That's why I use Gary Dean's Detail Juice concentrate cheapest detail spray once it's cut. 2.5 oz makes 1 gallon of ready to use product. A 16 ounce bottle of the concentrate makes 6.4 gallons of ready to use spray for 40 bucks. A gallon of CG luber is $26 bucks. And detail juice has so many more uses then just a clay lube.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."