autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Does OC have a shelf life?

I pulled the wheels from my Marauder and thoroughly cleaned and polished the calipers, rotor hats and the wheels both the barrels and the face. I then applied OC from the kit I purchased about a year ago. I didn't clean the applicator pad or the microfiber towel that were included in the kit when finished. I have read that others have had the OC crystallize in pads and towels if not cleaned right away. After several days the pad and MF towel I used are as soft as when new. What's up with that? Did all my work go to waste and need to be redone?

Mike Phillips

Re: Does OC have a shelf life?

I'll send the link to this thread to Chris at Optimum and let him chime in...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi POPPAJ,

The real test of whether you used enough or applied it correctly will be shown when you wash the wheels. If after agitation and rinsing you have wax like beads, then you are all set. If after cleaning, you don't see the water repellency...then you may want to reapply and check your steps.

Regarding the applicator and towel: I think its feasible in some applications that you would not have a visible crystallization in the foam. For example, if you used a sparing amount and worked the product until very little was on the pad. Also, the wheels never take neat the amount you'd use on a car, so maybe that's a factor. Another point is that Opti Coat 2.0 has a less concentrated amount of resin than Opti Coat Pro and that may have been the product you heard reports on.

Anyway, it's completely possible to reuse the applicator and towels if you check for abrasion prior to use...and there's no reason to toss the towel because the product should already be dry before you wipe it down.

P.S. regarding storage of Opti Coat: because of the solvent content, OC will store well for years. However, precautions should be taken to remove air (actually the moisture in air) so that polymerization doesn't occur inside the syringe.

I like to use a caulk gun for carefully purging the air before reinstalling the black shipping tip for a storage period. You can use your hands, but I have wasted enough OC on my ceiling and choose the caulk gun. If you do leave air in the syringe and there's enough moisture in it to cause a reaction, the process will give off gas in the exchange and could push the plunger backwards. We use 60cc syringes so you shouldn't see any product loss due to the process...but you should always purge the air when storing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris! You even answered what I didn't ask. Applied about five days ago but my baby hasn't left the garage due to rain and cool weather.

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. Another point I thought relevant is to remember that anything on the surface will change or stop the appearance of beading. With Opti Coat on the rims you won't need a dedicated wheel cleaner...but, they will need to be washed with ONR or wash shampoo (some agitation is required) to remove the debris and reveal the beading.

Mike Phillips

Thanks Chris...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ View Post
    I pulled the wheels from my Marauder and thoroughly cleaned and polished the calipers, rotor hats and the wheels both the barrels and the face. I then applied OC from the kit I purchased about a year ago. I didn't clean the applicator pad or the microfiber towel that were included in the kit when finished. I have read that others have had the OC crystallize in pads and towels if not cleaned right away. After several days the pad and MF towel I used are as soft as when new. What's up with that? Did all my work go to waste and need to be redone?
    Forgive the hijack. I know squat about OC other than it is on my list.

Of the Marauder please. Those are neat cars in a Men In Black sort of way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Hi POPPAJ,
    P.S. regarding storage of Opti Coat: because of the solvent content, OC will store well for years. However, precautions should be taken to remove air (actually the moisture in air) so that polymerization doesn't occur inside the syringe.

I like to use a caulk gun for carefully purging the air before reinstalling the black shipping tip for a storage period. You can use your hands, but I have wasted enough OC on my ceiling and choose the caulk gun. If you do leave air in the syringe and there's enough moisture in it to cause a reaction, the process will give off gas in the exchange and could push the plunger backwards. We use 60cc syringes so you shouldn't see any product loss due to the process...but you should always purge the air when storing.
    Chris, if I am storing a brand new syringe of OC 2.0 that has never been opened/used do I still need to remove air?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    I would