autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Holograms with Flex 3401

I was recently doing a single stage detail on a one year old black Lexus which was somewhat neglected but not horrible. After a foam wash and once over with the Nanoskin mitt I went to work with the Flex 3401 and XMT 360. I was using a white 5" hybrid pad. I did a couple of body panels and pulled the vehicle out in the sun to check the results when I noticed holograming from the 3401. I have never encountered this problem before or at least did not notice it on lighter colored vehicles. I switched to the Porter Cable with a CCS pink pad which corrected it fine and I finished out the vehicle with that. I try to use good technique with the Flex 3401 along with clean pads. I fell in love with the 3401 at Mike's boot camp but I am now having second thoughts. I would have been horrified if that vehicle had hit the streets in that condition. Has anyone had any similar issues with the Flex 3401. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Holograms with Flex 3401

Lexus paint is typically quite soft... is what you were seeing perhaps just typical micromarring that is very common on soft paint unless finished down with a finer product/pad combo?

"Holograms" are something that are typically not associated with DA machines, as they should not leave that type of defect behind due to the way they rotate/oscillate simultaneously. This term is usually associated with damage left by a rotary machine.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Holograms... I dont think you are getting any with the flex. I have never seen or heard of that happening. On the other hand owning a lexus I can agree that it is soft and you really have to finish down properly or you will have a little marring.
    Zapa's Detailing- In purist of perfection
    https://www.facebook.com/ZapasDetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was suspect of the paint on that vehicle as I have never run into that problem before. I have corrected holograms before on other vehicles from rotary buffers but this is what it most looked like. It was not the typical marring I have sometimes experienced say when the 3401 "walks" a bit. It may never happen again at least I hope not. Thanks for the post.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have tried to finish up with a couple of passes at lower speed and little to no pressure to try to ensure the best finish possible from the flex... this is part of my typical polishing routine with most any machine, but I didn't see if you mentioned the speed or pressure you were using?

Retired Professional Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is good advice. Like anything else the longer you do this you come to realize that every vehicle finish has its own personality. Everything ultimately turned out fine and the car looked great. I just got a little paranoid!