autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1940 Chevy Truck-Almost Original Paint Care

I have a 1940 Chevy Truck my Grandfather bought new in '40. This truck only has 21,000 original miles on it. It was repainted some time in the late '40's. It has always been kept garaged, but was used as a work truck at our summer place up until a couple of years ago. The truck was always kept polished and waxed, but with regular, retail type car care products.

The paint looks solid, but is dull and has blemishes in the paint itself. I am not planning to repaint the truck, as it looks pretty good the way it is, but I would like to take care of the current paint and try to make it look as good as possible, without any further damage.

I read your article on the 1973 Lincoln Continental. Is this a good approach to take with my truck or has something new come along. The truck is the standard Chevy dark brewster green with black fenders.

Thank you for any help and advice you can give.

Al Kasishke

Mike Phillips

Re: 1940 Chevy Truck-Almost Original Paint Care

Here's the article you're talking about...

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

AutoTraderClassic.com like it enough to publish it for their readers on their website,

Articles Published on AutoTraderClassic.com

Restoring Single Stage Paint

Polishing Old School Aluminum Slotted Mag Wheels

Here's the big "If"

IF the old single stage paint on this old truck is IMPORTANT to you to do everything you can to preserve it and also bring out the best shine, then by all means use the techniques outlined in my article.

If it's not that important and all you want to do is bring back the shine fast and simple, then use any good compound and/or polish and have at it.

Both approaches work.

The point of my article that most people miss because they "scan" the article instead of "reading" the article is that the technique shared is for people working on older, classic and antique cars where and when preserving the paint on the car is of the utmost importance. Not a casual afterthought.

The best example I have of when preserving the original paint is important to someone is Wayne Carini. Wayne has been chasing the ALL ORIGINAL 1954 Hudson Hornet and to HIM it was IMPORTANT to do everything possible to preserve and restore the original paint on this Hudson and that's what I did...

Here's the tread on that restoration...

Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

Also, I'm on Chasing Classic Cars tonight at 10:00pm Eastern Time. (Every Tuesday night at 10:00pm)

Now how about a picture of your 1940 Chevy Truck? I use to pull my drag boat to the lakes using a 1941 Chevy Truck... had a lot of fun with both the truck and the boat...

Mike Phillips

Also since this was your first post to our forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures are very helpful and Idk about the other Detailer's but I get a kick on looking at the before and after pictures...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Pictures are very helpful and Idk about the other Detailer's but I get a kick on looking at the before and after pictures...
    I second this comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    pictures are very helpful and idk about the other detailer's but i get a kick on looking at the before and after pictures...
    + 2 .

Mike Phillips

While these are not the pictures of the OP's truck, these are some before and after pictures from a student from one of my recent Boot Camp Classes...

1971 Dodge Coronet Original Paint Extreme Makeover with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Before

After

Mike Phillips

And here's a few before and after from Wayne's 1954 Hudson Hornet...

Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

Before

After

Remember...

When working on antique, single stage paint that has been neglected and is now oxidized, the paint will be dried-out and brittle. This means it will be very easy to abrade it. Conditioning the paint first will make it safer to work on as it will make the paint more workable.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, and good luck with the truck!

Follow Mike P's advice and you should be fine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully I am loading these pictures correctly and they will show up. Here is the truck now and some pictures of it back in the 1940's and 1950's. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I want to preserve the paint and keep it original. I am not looking for the quick and easy way out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast