autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing How-To Book and Detailing How-To E-book

This book is a fantastic reference item- I read it over the weekend but will continue to pull it up for the numerous links in the months and years to come.

Congratulations, Mike- you are an icon in the industry and this book is an awesome visual that cuts myths like butter. Thanks for being so objective WRT products!

I would like to see a future book focused on the REST of the car- tires, engine bay, interior vinyl/plastic/rubber, glass, etc.

Cheers to a great book that I'll look at frequently!!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TorqueKing View Post

This book is a fantastic reference item- I read it over the weekend but will continue to pull it up for the numerous links in the months and years to come.

Congratulations, Mike- you are an icon in the industry and this book is an awesome visual that cuts myths like butter. Thanks for being so objective WRT products!

I would like to see a future book focused on the REST of the car- tires, engine bay, interior vinyl/plastic/rubber, glass, etc.

Cheers to a great book that I'll look at frequently!!!!

Thank you.

Sometimes it seems like a long and winding path some starting out as a young car guy in a logging town in Oregon.

I have to passions in in life as they relate to my work profession and that is,

• I like to make cars shiny
    • I like to show other people how to make cars shiny

And the reason for the second one is because when I had my first car painted back in High School and then blew up the engine, the brand new piant job sat outside uncovered and oxidized while I rebult the motor.

When she was back on the road it was time to undo the damage done to my brand new paint job and everyone I asked for information told me the same thing,

1. Rub the paint out with rubbing compound
    2. Follow the rubbing compound with polishign compound
    3. Apply a coat of wax

This advice damn near ruined my brand new paint job.

When I think back to those days and how it was so hard to get good information it makes me empathetic to others in the same shoes I was standing back at that time.

So I understand where people are coming from when they have something nice that they like but it doesn't look good. They want to make it look good but they're not sure how?

Now days with the Internet, there's LOTS of people telling us "how" to detail our cars. I just try to keep it accurate, simple, helpful and understandable.

Here's the car that started it all for me and one of the few pictures I have of my high school car...

1948 Plymouth Coupe painted 1976 Ford Truck Bright Red Enamel

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool story! I knew you were fully trustworthy when I saw one of your videos on detailing truck tires that came about because you were doing some suspension work on your old Chevy. My fire for detailing grew from a love of old beater trucks. If you can drive a paid-for, 300+k beater with truly clean, glossy paint despite past abuse it speaks volumes to the idiots driving $50k vehicles with waterspots all over them. Detailing is preserving history.

I'm a gearhead to the core and would spare no effort to preserve anything mechanical that I own- why not the paint?

Also, I love that you're a classic "systems thinker"- there's no product that can bend your objective "what's in the bottle" analysis, even though you sell some of the products. That's noble and rare. Some of the marketing in the detailing business is just nausiating.

Again, well done on this book- it leaves room to expand your knowledge showcase further around the car in the future and I'll buy it sight-unseen.

Aloha,
    John

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Im definitely a rookie when it comes to detailing, just picked this book up a few minutes ago, plan on reading it.. Just ordered all my gear to get me started. Looking forward to seeing the results, i tend to pick up on things quickly, lets hope this is one of them

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Djreversal View Post

Im definitely a rookie when it comes to detailing, just picked this book up a few minutes ago, plan on reading it.. Just ordered all my gear to get me started. Looking forward to seeing the results, i tend to pick up on things quickly, lets hope this is one of them

Thank you for your business... I'm confident you'll pick up on machine buffing without a hitch...

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I missed this but how do you know if your paint is hard or soft? I have a BMW 07 Black Saffire Metallic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    Hi Mike,

Will your book be offered as a Kindle book from Amazon or as a book from Apple's iBooks library?
    If you have a standard Kindle be ware. I have The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine on kindle and the pictures do not come up. Mike does a great job of illustrating many of his points with pictures and you just don't get the affects if they're missing. A Kindle Fire probably includes them, but that is just a guess. Thankfully AG customer service is outstanding and they were able to get me an e-book version. Love the book!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2007M6 View Post

Sorry if I missed this but how do you know if your paint is hard or soft?

If you have the book and have read it then you missed it.

My how-to book really covers just about everything. On the topic of hard or soft paint in the Second Edition in the paperback book it's on page 7 and 8.

And what it says is there's no way to create a definitive "list" of every car ever made and whether the "factory" paint on that car is hard, soft or somewhere in-between.

That would take a thousand pages to start with and as I explain in the book... car manufacturers are continually changing the paint systems they use. So any type of list created would quickly become obsolete. Think about it... "stuff" changes. In fact stuff is changing faster now than ever before. The iPhone 5s was just introduced and now they're introducing a new iPhone this spring.

Paint changes too. Paint manufactures are continually improving paint coatings for the OEM. Nothing stays the same.

So here's what I wrote in my book. The honest and practical truth. That is the only way and the best way to know if the specific paint system on ANY car is hard or soft is to,

Buff out a lot of cars and lock into your brain how the paint reacted when you compounded or polished it. This gives you experience so each time you work on a new car you'll be able to gauge if the paint is hard or soft as compared to the car you've buffed out in the past.

This is how I can tell if the paint on a car is hard or soft.

Experience.

This is how any pro I know can tell if a paint system is hard or soft.

The problem is that the majority of people in this world reading a forum like this or a book like mine don't buff out LOTS of cars but are only interested in buffing out the car in their garage.

I understand this. But the honest truth is in order to really know if a paint system is hard or soft or somewhere in-between the person doing the buffing needs some experience.

The next best things a person can do include,

Doing a Test Spot

And then sharing the results you see on a forum like this. You'll get lots of feedback from people that do have experience. (Doing a test spot is also in the book)

You'll also get feedback from people that either own the same car as you or have worked on the same car, (make/mode/year/paint color), and they can share what they found out.

This really only applies when you're working on FACTORY paint because anytime you're working on a re-paint there's no comparison to gauge against.

This question comes up all the time, is the paint on my car hard or soft, heck I have a really good article on this on MOL that I wrote years ago and it explains the issues and problems with having a simple way to know about paint hardness or softness.

Paint Workability - The Hardness or Softness of your car's paint

And here's my quote from the above article and it's just as true today as it was when I wrote it...

"You don't how hard or soft your paint is until you go out into your garage and work on your car"

So to answer your questions....

"Yes" you missed the section in the book.

And is the paint on your BMW hard or soft? Most of the discussions I've read about "most" BMW paint is that it's somewhere in the middle but leaning towards the softer side. It's not super hard like a modern Corvette but not stupid soft like a lot of factory black Porsche paint jobs.

Experience and a helpful forum are your friends...

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Mike: Thank you for share your story. Simply you're the man...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by javip2k View Post

Mike: Thank you for share your story. Simply you're the man...

Thank you for the kind words... I just try to keep things simple and help others get what they want and that's usually shiny paint. Kind of simple in the big scheme of life.

I also try to follow the Golden Rule, don't hit the mark 100% of the time but when I miss the mark, pick myself up off the floor and dust myself off and move forward and then try to avoid past mistakes.

My friend Mike Pennington always told me,

"Take the high road"

Good advice.

If you like the little story shared above I shared another bit of the story in post #11 in this thread.

Calling Mike Phillips

I always practice giving due credit where credit is due and never steal other guys work or words and share it like it's mine. Which others would do the same.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast