autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Emergency help from Mike Phillips - Silicone Stains on Black Primer

Hey Mike, or anyone else who may know the answer to this. I have a flat-black primered C10 short-bed pickup on bags that has silicone soak-in stains from a previous car wash...

My question, how do I safely remove the stains WITHOUT causing any more damage to the user's black primer coating? The primer was definitely installed professionally, as it's a decent, even coat, but it is still definitely a primer. I don't want to use a harsh chemical such as an APC unless I know for sure that it won't cause any other visible defects in the customer's paint. Can you give me some quick advice as I have to start this truck in the morning and it's now 11pm the night before.

HELLLPPPP!!!!!

Adam
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Emergency help from Mike Phillips - Silicone Stains on Black Primer

Perhaps something like this would work well: Klean-Strip Prep-All® Wax & Grease Remover.

"Prep-All® is an effective, fast acting wax and grease remover for many automotive surfaces. It should be used prior to sanding to prolong the life of sandpaper and again after sanding as a clean-up agent prior to applying top coats. Prep All® removes old wax build-up before re-application of new wax to promote an even, mirror-like finish. It is also great for removing silicone and road film." -Mfg Website
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Until somebody with more knowledge chimes in, this looks like it will do the job.

I was looking into how to clean satin black paint also. And came across this.
    Harley-Davidson Surface Care: Denim Paint Cleaner - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Might not remove the stains though. But it looks it's for cleaning satin black paint. Might suggest it to the customer for future care.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Ill see if it will come off with a good wash first, if not, then ill go get some of that denim cleaner from Harley.
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post
    Hey Mike, or anyone else who may know the answer to this. I have a flat-black primered C10 short-bed pickup on bags that has silicone soak-in stains from a previous car wash...

My question, how do I safely remove the stains WITHOUT causing any more damage to the user's black primer coating?
    Hi Adam,

Your post about trying to wash the car first is how I would approach it. Primer is more porous than a normal paint. This means it can stain more easily but it also means you might be able to dissolve the offending substance back out of the paint.

Try a normal car wash first and if that doesn't work, try using a detergent dish washing soap. Might have to wash more than once but washing with detergent soap can have a "drying" effect and this drying effect is the leaching out of normally oily substances.

Let us know how this turns out...

Post Thanks / Like

Okay...so for anyone who runs across this issue as I have...here is what seems to absolutely work....and amazingly, I might add. Did a soak with my foamgun, followed with a hot water wash. I then dried it, let it sit in the sun for about ten minutes to make. Sure it was completely dry, then.....wait for it.......I went over the ENTIRE exterior of the truck with Meguiar's Glass Cleaner, and here's why.

I usually use glass cleaner on door jams because it can break up grease and leave a streak-free finish. This time, the jams were also flat black. There were also a few greasy, oily spots that I needed to try to remove. I pulled out the glass cleaner, hit the oily spots and voila!!!! A little gentle rubbing with a micro fiber and the spots were gone.

So I took my trusty glass cleaner and micro fiber and found an inconspicuous spot onthe exterior of the truck and gave it a shot.......and it WORKED!!!!!

I highly doubt that Meguiar's would market their glass cleaner as an amazing cleaner for black primered cars, but there you have it everyone. Meguiar's Glass Cleaner (the concentrated professional sturf diluted 10:1), will remove grease/oil/silicone soaked into a primered black vehicle. I can't make that claim on light colored primered vehicles because I don't know if oil/grease/silicone will permanently stain it due to its porousness as Mike said, but on black.....it quite literally saved the day!!!
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and fyi, the wash alone removed most of the silicone but none of the oil spatter. The glass cleaner removed what was left of the silicone stain and all of the oil spatter.
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by o.c.detailing View Post
    oh, and fyi, the wash alone removed most of the silicone but none of the oil spatter. The glass cleaner removed what was left of the silicone stain and all of the oil spatter.
    👏