autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How to clean fender wells the lazy way!

How to clean fender wells the lazy way!

Okay, the best way to REALLY get your car's fenderwells clean is to jack-up the car and remove the wheels and tires. This way you can easily get to the entire fenderwell area.

The problem with this is,

• It takes a lot of time

• You need to know the torque settings for the lug nuts and it helps to have a little experience in removing and then replacing and correctly re-torquing the lug nuts so as not to warp your rotors.

• Did I mention it takes a lot of time?

So here's what I call the lazy guys way to clean fenderwells and that's to simply lift the body of the car. Don't remove the wheels, just lift the body as far as possible to create more space between the wheel and tire and the surrounding fenderwell.

Not a perfect fix to the problem but in most cases you can get enough extra space to make it a lot easier to get a brush into the fenderwell area and scrub, scrub scrub.

Here's what you need...

A good all purpose cleaner...

A good fenderwell brush...

A reliable hydraulic floor jack and at least two quality jack stands for safety reasons...

Lift the car
    Choose either the front or rear of the car to start with and lift the car as high as the body will go without raising the tires off the ground and then place the jack stands at approved points where they are able to support the weight of the car and then carefully lower the jack so that the weight of the car is predominantly on the jackstands.

More Working Space
    This is the working space you create by lifting the body of the car up using a hydraulic floor jack without having to remove the wheels.

Saturate fenderwell with all purpose cleaner
    Next, spray your all purpose cleaner thoroughly over the inside of the fenderwell, cover everything you want to clean and later dress.

Agitate all purpose cleaner
    Scrub and agitate inner fenderwell, frame and any other area or component you want cleaned...

Yeah... it can get kind of filthy in the fenderwells...

Blast with water
    Next spray a strong blast of water over the entire fenderwell area...

You're probably looking at road grime that's accumulated in the fenderwells since this car was new...

And there you go... a clean fenderwell. Now do the other side...

After you finish with one end of the car, raise the car body, remove the jack stands, lower the car body and move to the opposite end of the car and repeat the process.

Have all your tools ready to go...

Using the lazy man's method you can do a pretty good job of cleaning your fenderwells fast and easy...

On Autogeek.com

Detailer's Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner

Mothers Fender Well Brush

Mike Phillips

Re: How to clean fender wells the lazy way!

Dressings and other options

After you've cleaned your fenderwells at this point you could apply your favorite dressing to restore that new car look.

In this example, there was some white overspray paint on the inner fenderwell panels and I checked with the owner and he preferred that I did not apply a dressing as he would prefer to apply some fresh paint or undercoating.

In a case like this it's even more important to really get these areas clean for good adhesion of either an exterior paint or undercoating.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice tip Mike.

Wont work for my BMW. She sits to low and can only get the jack under one jack point at a time. lol

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Nice tip Mike.

Wont work for my BMW. She sits to low and can only get the jack under one jack point at a time. lol

Ahh yes... BMW's are very special cars...

This won't work for everyone but if it will work for the car you're working on it will make doing the job faster and easier.

Post Thanks / Like

^ use 2x4 ply wood and staircase the blocks up enough so there's more clearance

Or you can buy a low profile jack

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips Mike!

I use a flex nozzle on my pressure washer to get inside the wheel houses.
    Now I just have to get my pressure washer back from my brother inlaw.
    Gosh I hate lending my stuff out

Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike!

I put together a wheel well detailing kit based on this review just for forum members and it consists of a 32 oz. bottle of Detailer's Cleanse-All, a Mothers Fender Well Brush and a 3-pack of Microfiber All Purpose & Wheel Detailing Towels for $29.99 - that's a retail value of $45.95!

This special is only available through Monday, April 8th! Call or leave a note in the comments box to have this kit added to your order.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by thebamboo23 View Post

^ use 2x4 ply wood and staircase the blocks up enough so there's more clearance

Or you can buy a low profile jack
    That will work. The important thing is however you create clearance to do so in a safe way that will not cause you harm nor the car you're working on.

Quote Originally Posted by RedXray View Post

Great tips Mike!

I use a flex nozzle on my pressure washer to get inside the wheel houses.
    A flexible nozzle on a pressure washer is a great idea too if you're using a pressure washer. A surgically clean surface usually requires a combination of a good all purpose cleaner, brushes to agitate the cleaner and then the power of a strong blast of water to flush everything off...

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny you post this - I just did it this past weekend! My M45 sits too low, and the wheels are on too tight from the shop so I just improvised. Works just as well, and looks great, too!
    2004 Infiniti M45 "Emmie"- Twilight Blue Pearl

2000 Ford Explorer "Clifford" - Toreador Red Metallic

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast