autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is this issue with paint/finish?

On the rear bumper of our Acura there is a cloudy/fading issue. Up close it looks like a cross hatch marks and clouding that even after compounding with a yellow/orange pad does not come off. The feel is a little rough. I think it may be clearcoat failure or something with the paint/flex agent. I don't think that area has ever been hit and it is only on the rear bumper and nowhere else. The car is always protected and always has a layer of wax on it. Is there any remedy, would wet sanding be recommended?

Can anyone tell by looking at the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is this issue with paint/finish?-img_3136-jpg   What is this issue with paint/finish?-img_3137-jpg   What is this issue with paint/finish?-img_3139-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    It is most definitely clear coat failure. Sorry

The only solution is to re-paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is this issue with paint/finish?

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    It is most definitely clear coat failure. Sorry

The only solution is to re-paint.
    I was afraid of that. The car is only around 10 years old and is always taken care of, washed every week, always has a layer of wax, is polished when heavily swriled. Acura's and Honda's paint while soft normally lasts a very long time when taken care of in my experience, I don't know why it happened.

Is there any less painful/less expensive way of remedying it other then re painting the entire rear bumper like wet sanding the top portion of the rear bumper with the fading and spraying that portion with clear coat? The fading/clouding is only on the top portion of the bumper, not the back portion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lexusgs View Post
    I was afraid of that. The car is only around 10 years old and is always taken care of, washed every week, always has a layer of wax, is polished when heavily swriled. Acura's and Honda's paint while soft normally lasts a very long time when taken care of in my experience, I don't know why it happened.

Is there any less painful/less expensive way of remedying it other then re painting the entire rear bumper like wet sanding the top portion of the rear bumper with the fading and spraying that portion with clear coat?
    Unfortunately no. Its not your fault, its just poor quality paint. Its a hit or miss with Honda paint. Some years they had excellent quality paint, while others not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

10 years is a long time out in the sun. Bumper covers have a different paint and frequently they fade differently than the rest of the car.

Is there any less painful/less expensive way of remedying it other then re painting the entire rear bumper like wet sanding the top portion of the rear bumper with the fading and spraying that portion with clear coat?
    A member here did just that. You can try it, just make sure you use 2K clear otherwise it will yellow on you (which you may not be able to see with that color anyway). Please wear the appropriate respiratory protection when spraying that.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    10 years is a long time out in the sun. Bumper covers have a different paint and frequently they fade differently than the rest of the car.

A member here did just that. You can try it, just make sure you use 2K clear otherwise it will yellow on you (which you may not be able to see with that color anyway). Please wear the appropriate respiratory protection when spraying that.
    Can you provide me the link to where the member goes into detail about doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Thanks for the link