autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard water etchings, stubborn dirts won't come off.

Hi Guys,

I got a call from a relative to do her 2007 Grey Metallic Honda Civic Fd1. We agreed on the price and I came to her place. My mistake was I should have taken a look at the car first and the price next. She never washed her car. I was confronted with this nightmare. Her major concern is the wheels. I did a quick wash, clay and wax eventually and charge her like a normal car wash instead of full detailing. You don't get a sports car every day I guess

Pics:

How to deal with the above guys? I tried APC and degreaser. Q-tips, all kinds of brush, scrub with MF towel and terry towel. I even tried trim restorer to no success.

I tried to spray Mothers Tire and Wheel cleaner, let it soak, did not clean anything. I tried iron x, tar x, degreaser and APC. I eventually use a chemical for laundry cleaning to remove mineral buildups. With scrubbing pad, it did well, but scratched the hell out of it. I dont have Sonax or Meg's WB. Should I get one?

Thanks for reading and your feedback

-Marcel-

Post Thanks / Like
    The right tool always help . And wheel brushes are a must have. I suggest the dayton speed master the reg and jr . Also lug nut brushes are great to .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replying. But the problem is with normal brush, the dirt wont come off.
    AutoHeed Car Detailing Services
    +628170179017 or autoheed@gmail.com
    AutoHeed l www.autoheed.net

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard water etchings, stubborn dirts won't come off.

In every picture it looks like corrosion and that will not come out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    In every picture it looks like corrosion and that will not come out.
    True. I have tried everything from the least aggressive method to scrubbing hard. I notice that chemicals won't dissolve or break them. Corrosion on plastic molding? Steps I take to restore the plastic trim: spray on degreaser and APC. let it dwell for minutes. agitate with toothbrush. the trim turned a bit cleaner, but the dirt left mark. You can feel it. I guess I will just say no to this kind of car from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, w/ Pureshine, FWIW. Pictures don't always tell the full story, but I'm not sure how much you could expect to accomplish. I suppose you could take a good chemical (i.e. Poorboys Pro Polish) or moderate abrasive (i.e. Megs 105) polish to see if it has any effect, but...you're talking about intensive labor on a six-year-old Civic. Law of diminishing returns and such.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Agreed, w/ Pureshine, FWIW. Pictures don't always tell the full story, but I'm not sure how much you could expect to accomplish. I suppose you could take a good chemical (i.e. Poorboys Pro Polish) or moderate abrasive (i.e. Megs 105) polish to see if it has any effect, but...you're talking about intensive labor on a six-year-old Civic. Law of diminishing returns and such.
    Isnt polishing plastic trim gonna create white stains? Ya i guess it is not really worth the price and effort. Cars here have problem with mineral buildup and waterspots because of the water quality. Thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry....clarification....I was speaking more to the wheels with respect to the polishing effort. The plastic trim - there's a how-to on the site that talks about this far better than I ever could, but essentially you're looking at removing the corroded/oxidized material and treating/protecting what's left. This is possible, and the results are impressive, but they come at the cost of time and effort. What's the payoff? Therein lie the questions. Will the vehicle be well-maintained afterward? Is it being prepped for sale? Or will it see a repeat of neglect over time, taking away any value from the exercise?
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Sorry....clarification....I was speaking more to the wheels with respect to the polishing effort. The plastic trim - there's a how-to on the site that talks about this far better than I ever could, but essentially you're looking at removing the corroded/oxidized material and treating/protecting what's left. This is possible, and the results are impressive, but they come at the cost of time and effort. What's the payoff? Therein lie the questions. Will the vehicle be well-maintained afterward? Is it being prepped for sale? Or will it see a repeat of neglect over time, taking away any value from the exercise?
    Thanks for clarifying that for me. She just wanted to get her car detailed because I detailed her sister's car weeks ago. Hype you know. Sigh i dont think it is worth the time and effort. People dont do alot of maintenance package. Just wow now and bye then.