autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How can I get this stain out?

I had a travel bag in my car and one of my hair products exploded from the pressure. I didnt realize it until a few days later and by the time I wiped it up this stain set in. The product wasnt the consistency of water. It was a silicone based product. I havent tried to rub it out with anything b/c I didnt want to make it worse. Does anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How can I get this stain out?-photo-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can I get this stain out?

Quote Originally Posted by RFA2010 View Post
    I had a travel bag in my car and one of my hair products exploded from the pressure. I didnt realize it until a few days later and by the time I wiped it up this stain set in. The product wasnt the consistency of water. It was a silicone based product. I havent tried to rub it out with anything b/c I didnt want to make it worse. Does anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks!
    Can you list exactly what the product was? I'd probably look into the Leather Masters line...maybe the dye transfer remover but it would be best to know exactly what it came from first

Not sure if Judy B still reads this forum but I will send her a message and see if she'll respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Can you list exactly what the product was? I'd probably look into the Leather Masters line...maybe the dye transfer remover but it would be best to know exactly what it came from first

Not sure if Judy B still reads this forum but I will send her a message and see if she'll respond.
    I just remembered it was actually facial cleanser. Cetaphil to be exact. I believe this is the ingredient list of what spilled:
    Water, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Acrylates/Steareth-20 Methacrylate Copolymer, Glycerin, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Phenoxyethanol, Masking Fragrance, Panthenol, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my go to stuff 1Z einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner it works great on treated leather use it all the time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

I forgot to mention the most important part... The liquid was clear so Im not sure what the build up of blue is on the edges. Someone told me this is the dye of the leather that collected and set. So If I do get the dye removal kit do I just use it on the darker areas? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be the liquid caused the dye in the bag to bleed onto the leather...Judy is aware of the thread now so she should chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    It looks as though the stain us caused by the dye from the bag rather than the product itself. The best way to tackle this is to first try a Jean and Dye Transfer Remover Kit - this contains a 2 part process which is safe to use and will not damage the finish. These are the first two steps that we always try on any dye transfer problem.
    Step 1 is a foam cleaner that can be given dwell time so will gently lift any dye without any aggressive agitation etc.
    Step 2 is a specifically formulated Alcohol based cleaner.
    If this does not work it means that the dye has been very aggressive and has travelled too far into the finish on the leather to be removed without also damaging the finish.
    The next stage would be to use solvents so the area would then need to be recoloured and refinished also.
    Hope this helps
    Judyb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judyb View Post
    Hi
    It looks as though the stain us caused by the dye from the bag rather than the product itself. The best way to tackle this is to first try a Jean and Dye Transfer Remover Kit - this contains a 2 part process which is safe to use and will not damage the finish. These are the first two steps that we always try on any dye transfer problem.
    Step 1 is a foam cleaner that can be given dwell time so will gently lift any dye without any aggressive agitation etc.
    Step 2 is a specifically formulated Alcohol based cleaner.
    If this does not work it means that the dye has been very aggressive and has travelled too far into the finish on the leather to be removed without also damaging the finish.
    The next stage would be to use solvents so the area would then need to be recoloured and refinished also.
    Hope this helps
    Judyb

Thanks for helping out Judy!