autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it common to use paint clay regularly?

Just recently I clayed every painted surface on my car and did my normal sealing routine. Just last week, I clayed the hood, front bumper and front fenders because I had some serious tar on those areas. The clay came back with black streaks. Kinda crazy.

So today I washed my car and I started feeling the roof of my car... and it felt gritty. Then I felt the trunk lid and the spoiler... gritty. My car does sit outside 24 hours a day, so I know that's got something to do with it, but my paint is REGULARLY maintained with sealant and spray wax, as well, on top of being washed once, sometimes twice a week. So I clayed those areas and applied more sealant, no problems.

So how often do you guys use paint clay? Just seems like every time I turn around, my paint needs more clay therapy, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it common to use paint clay regularly?

It depends on the environment your car is in, garaged or not, etc. Bottom line is you clay as much as you have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Claying before polishing is fine, but claying before washing is a bit much.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It depends on the environment your car is in, garaged or not, etc. Bottom line is you clay as much as you have to.
    That's good to know. Sometimes I thought I clayed too much or too often. I've been told it'll wear the paint down, but I know that's bullscheisse.

The horizontal surfaces are always the worst for me, it seems. The hood, roof, trunk, spoiler and the quarters are always my main targets.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Claying before polishing is fine, but claying before washing is a bit much.
    All the claying I've done has been performed after the main wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TH3M B0N3Z View Post
    All the claying I've done has been performed after the main wash.
    Still a bit much. Anytime you abrade the paint you are removing clear..it does add up.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Still a bit much. Anytime you abrade the paint you are removing clear..it does add up.
    So claying does take away clear coat? I thought that wasn't true.

I've always understood that paint clay is fine to use however often it is needed and will not deteriorate the clear coat unless it's used improperly or a very aggressive clay is used.

I've been doing some quick research and the verdict is that paint clay, when used with plenty of lubricant, is safe and will not degrade the clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TH3M B0N3Z View Post
    So claying does take away clear coat? I thought that wasn't true.

I've always understood that paint clay is fine to use however often it is needed and will not deteriorate the clear coat unless it's used improperly or a very aggressive clay is used.

I've been doing some quick research and the verdict is that paint clay, when used with plenty of lubricant, is safe and will not degrade the clear coat.
    I stand by what I said..if clay can remove contaminants, that same contaminants is scratching your paint no matter how much lube you are using. There have been many surveys taken on how often should you clay and the majority answer is every 6 months. You maybe an exception being that your car is exposed to extreme fall out and is out 24/7. Have you thought about using a fine clay towel that you can rinse out after every panel?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand by what I said..if clay can remove contaminants, that same contaminants is scratching your paint no matter how much lube you are using. There have been many surveys taken on how often should you clay and the majority answer is every 6 months. You maybe an exception being that your car is exposed to extreme fall out and is out 24/7. Have you thought about using a fine clay towel that you can rinse out after every panel?
    I have a Nanoskin pad for the PC, but I have not used it. Not sure why, lol. The clay I use, Griot's paint clay, claims to not even remove wax, but I still wax after I use the clay.

I just can't imagine clay removing clear coat. Compounds and polishes? Definitely, as they cut the clear coat. I had some looney try to convince me that clay is no different that 1500 grit sandpaper, lol. I don't clay once a week or anything, but I've clayed probably 4 times in 2012 alone, and I just clayed those few areas today.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the clay that is removing clear, rubbing the contaminants into the paint will. I thought you clayed once or twice a week, but now your saying 4 times a year..which is fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast