autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's M105 and M205...

I've never used M105 and M205 before and I don't have a use for them when it comes to my car, but I'm considering investing in this combo for future detailing jobs. Like for instance, I worked on my girlfriend's '99 Taurus today and just polished the hood with Meg's UC and UP, and the hood looks a little glossier, but it's not like a mirror. I understand the paint is 14 years old, but would the M105 and M205 brighten the paint up more? Her car can somewhat be my experiment because she's not too much into its looks... she's even told me I could try wet sanding on it, lol. I don't know about that, though.

Anyway, can the M105, M205 combo tackle some bad paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's M105 and M205...

m105 has extremely heavy cut. M205 is lighter. If you want to brighten paint, stick to uc. If there is heavy defects use m105. She should be into its looks as it might have clear coat failure if she has never waxed it. Its probable that there is less of a clear and she might need a new one.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    m105 has extremely heavy cut. M205 is lighter. If you want to brighten paint, stick to uc. If there is heavy defects use m105. She should be into its looks as it might have clear coat failure if she has never waxed it. Its probable that there is less of a clear and she might need a new one.
    I agree with Bill. Also it shouldnt just look a little "glossier". UC has enough cut to cut through heavy oxidation. Your CC is probably failing, or in the process.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    I agree with Bill. Also it shouldnt just look a little "glossier". UC has enough cut to cut through heavy oxidation. Your CC is probably failing, or in the process.
    That's good to know. I recently used the UC on my dad's hood on his '06 Tacoma, but he's actually got some clear coat that's bubbling up. It's a shame because he's always taken care of his vehicles, this one possibly being the least because he's not so young and energetic anymore. He wants me to work on the rest of his truck, but the hood's CC is failing and the roof is even worse. Funny how my GF's 14 year old car with the original paint almost looks better. No bubbling and peeling CC.

I'm kinda surprised to find out UC has enough cut to take on bad paint. It worked wonders on my car, but I just had light wash and dry scratches, some bird poop etching, and pretty much everything came out aside from some strong water marks on my roof. Sometimes I want that part of my car repainted.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of the paint on my roof... it's the original paint... so it's 6 years old. It has a lot of water spots and some deep cat scratches that I kinda nicked when I buffed my car. Would M105 do a good job and really polishing that roof? It looks good now, but the water spots really seem to hold back it's true shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3M B0N3Z View Post
    Speaking of the paint on my roof... it's the original paint... so it's 6 years old. It has a lot of water spots and some deep cat scratches that I kinda nicked when I buffed my car. Would M105 do a good job and really polishing that roof? It looks good now, but the water spots really seem to hold back it's true shine.
    Was the vehicle parked in an apartment complex? Sounds like you have Type 2 water spots. You need to clay the paint first in order to aid in the removal process when you hit it with UC. Below is a great article by Mike Phillips on the types of water spots, and the process of removing them.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-type-iii.html

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TH3M B0N3Z View Post
    i would use iron x or something similar to get the water spots edged in your paint out. 105 may get most of them out but i dont think 100% out, depending on the condition of your paint.

i would invest in some 105 and 205 they sell 16 oz bottles and even 8 oz so that way you dont waste your money on a 32 oz if you end up not liking it

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psynx View Post
    i would use iron x or something similar to get the water spots edged in your paint out. 105 may get most of them out but i dont think 100% out, depending on the condition of your paint.

i would invest in some 105 and 205 they sell 16 oz bottles and even 8 oz so that way you dont waste your money on a 32 oz if you end up not liking it
    Thanks for the suggestions. How does Iron X work?

About the M105, will it hurt to use it on 6 year old paint? It looks good aside from the water marks, you really have to see them in the garage with the overhead lights. It's something I can live with, honestly, but if I can remove them safely with the M105, I'm totally up for it.

But do elaborate on the Iron X, sir.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8adxMlQRlk]TAR X - IRONX VS. CLAY.wmv - YouTube[/video]
    after wash if the paint is really contaminated some detailers use iron x on the paint before claying

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

So Iron X will take out water spots? Does it damage the clear coat or warrant any polishing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast