autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike.Phillips

Thank you for sharing your expertise so everyone can feel confident with whatever projects they and myself might come across. The video tutorials, book and replies on this and other forums is concise, clear and professional.

Your knowledge of how to restore vehicle finishes is amazing.
    Has there ever been a time that made you uneasy about how it might turn out, nervous at an attempt for restoring the lustre to better than new or had an uh-oh moment?

Just wanted to let you and every professional doing this type of work for a living the comments and suggestions are appreciated.

steve (AKA, cartman57)

Mike Phillips

Re: Thanks Mike.Phillips

Hi Steve,

Almost end of day and I just now found this thread... thank you for the kind words...

Quote Originally Posted by cartman57 View Post

Has there ever been a time that made you uneasy about how it might turn out, nervous at an attempt for restoring the lustre to better than new or had an uh-oh moment?

Anytime I've worked on something very rare and especially with antique or original paint I get a little nervous just like any normal person would. Mostly because paint thickness is an unknown variable.

In the below thread I shared a couple of cool cars I've worked, one of them a 1956 Lincoln, Premier completely customized and with a fresh paint job.

Scrape, Terry Cook, Chip Foose, Christoper Titus and the Titanic

The paint on this car was rock hard AND the cool tools, sanding discs, even compounds we all use today didn't exist back then and that made the job harder.

That project was a little nerve wracking just because I had to work through the night and have the car finished by noon the next day. As soon as I was finished it was moved out into full sun and put on display, this was a rotary buffer only project.

Most of the time though I just size-up of the project, whether doing the work by myself or with a team of people. Do some testing and then make the "Go" or "No Go" decision.

One the "Go" decision is made and and you start sanding or buffing you're committed and it's time to focus on the task at hand.

I like most aspects of car detailing and specifically paint polishing but I don't really like the doing the paint on and behind the ribs on cars like this Testarossa. It's just a time consuming pain.

There was a thread posted recently about buffing out beaters, I kind of like buffing out old beaters that are in bad enough condition that just about anything you do is an improvement.

One thing that's real important is to always match your services to you customer. This is a really cool car but the owner didn't want a multiple step correction done he just wanted a "quickie" so that's what I gave him. Wiped clean, clayed and one-step buff in under 3 hours from start to finish.

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Before

After

Back when I was driving Scoop for Willamette Industries I started detailing my Scoop. I don't have any pictures of the shiny sections just this shot of me standing inside the scoop. One thing for sure, I didn't have to worry about burning through or causing any kind of damage to one of these beasts...

Quote Originally Posted by cartman57 View Post

Just wanted to let you and every professional doing this type of work for a living the comments and suggestions are appreciated.

steve
    This forum has a a lot of people with very diverse backgrounds and lots of experience always willing to chime in and lend a helping hand...

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to piggy back with your post Steve if you dont mind.

We have all learned of many great ways to do things as well as tips and techniques from Mike Phillips and the outstanding crew at AG. It is greatly appreciated and I look forward to the knowledge to be shared by the AG group as well as information by others on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Another 'piggy back' ...

I've been following Mike since his days over at MOL (even though I never signed up [back then]) and there hasn't been a day while reading his threads I haven't learned something useful, helpful or just plain enjoyable.

Thank you Mike!

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post

Just want to piggy back with your post Steve if you dont mind.

We have all learned of many great ways to do things as well as tips and techniques from Mike Phillips and the outstanding crew at AG. It is greatly appreciated and I look forward to the knowledge to be shared by the AG group as well as information by others on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Another 'piggy back' ...

I've been following Mike since his days over at MOL (even though I never signed up [back then]) and there hasn't been a day while reading his threads I haven't learned something useful, helpful or just plain enjoyable.

Thank you Mike!

Bill

Just now found these posts while doing a Google search for my 442 article and would just like to say thank you to Mike and Bill for the kind word.

I start all my detailing classes for the last 20 years the same way and that is by telling my students...

"Today I'm going to pour my heart and soul into this class and literally do a brain dump"

And then I do just that.

I also do this with my positing style on the forum and appreciate it anytime someone takes notice. So thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, there just aren't enough words.

Many thanks. BTW: How's married life treating you? Hopefully as well as you've been informing us about detailing.
    Last edited by runrun411; 04-02-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post

Mike, there just aren't enough words.

Many thanks. BTW: How's married life treating you? Hopefully as well as you've been informing us about detailing.

Live is good! Especially when I keep Stacy's MB as shiny as my GM...

Washed her car and wiped it down with the new Black Label Coating Booster. Touched up the tires with TUFF Shine Tire Clearcoat and then drove her home...