autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Damp sanding orange peel with what I have :)

Meaning, I already have the start of what I believe are the tools to get the job done and I just need to know what else to pick up.

I have a porter cable, meguiers 1500 and 3000 unigrit finishing pads various foam pads and menzerna (forget which but it's a couple years old and it's the one for harder clear finishes).

This is a repaint, black and the orange peel is a little heavier than I like, so I want it gone .

Should I pick up the unigrit 1500 sanding pads or go with sandpaper and sanding block? What else do you think I need?

I'm in FL, if I place an order today, will it ship today (get it tomorrow)?

Thanks guys.

Mike Phillips

Re: Damp sanding orange peel with what I have :)

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Heck of an introduction thread starting out by joining and then letting us know you're going to wetsand you car!

What are you working on?

Do you know how much paint was sprayed? As in how many coats of clear?

Mike Phillips

My buddy Todd Helm was testing out the new CarPro Denim Orange Peel Removal Pads here in the Autogeek Garage yesterday to a door panel on his car that was recently repainted and had quite a bit of orange peel.

He used these pads with the new Menzerna FG 400 to level the peel and while he was doing this I was doing Microfiber Pad testing on black paint.

I watched him do the work and then inspected the results and I have to say I was very impressed.

These pads,

CarPro Denim Orange Peel Removal Pad – 5.25 Inches 2 Pack

Using the denim pads has a couple of benefits,

a. No sanding marks to remove.
    b. Less steps.
    c. Safer if you're not experienced sanding or compounding sanding marks
    d. Done correctly, less removal of top coat

He's writing the article from his testing today so consider this as an option.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jfoster

Should I pick up the unigrit 1500 sanding pads or go with sandpaper and sanding block? What else do you think I need?
    Yes. If your goal is to remove the tops of the hills called orange peel to level them with the low point the valleys, then start by block int out by hand or machine.

#1500 would be as low as I would go especially if you don't know how many coats of clear your painter sprayed.

You could do this by machine to using #1500 sanding discs and NO INTERFACE PAD. You want a very flat hard surface on your sanding backing plate and the interface pad provides too much cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoster

Thanks guys.
    I can have one of the CS people chime in on this question. If you're close to Stuart and want to bring your project car by I'll help you do dial in a process that works to your expectation.

If you've never machine sanded before then check out my article here,

Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

It's long but that's because it's incredibly detailed.

Mike Phillips

Watch this video too. It's made up of two things,

Interview with the people involved with the project

How to segments all the way through showing how to hand sand, machine sand, compound and polish.

Video: Helping in the Heartland - Part 1 The Transformation

I don't think there's ANYTHING like it on the Internet or that can be bought in a DVD

Mike Phillips

Just to note, everyone attending my class in two weeks will get to learn how to machine sand and compound on this 1963 Impala in the link below...

Demo Cars for Detailing Boot Camp Class

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and Welcome to AGO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If you're close to Stuart and want to bring your project car by I'll help you do dial in a process that works to your expectation.

^^^One of the best offers you'll ever have^^^...DO IT!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfoster View Post

Thanks guys.
    Yes, if you place your order by 11 AM, it will ship today and you will get it tomorrow. You also have the option to pick it up from our warehouse if you are near Stuart. If you can't pick it up and don't place it by 11, then just give me a call and I'll make sure it ships out today for you.

Ricky@autogeek.net
    800-869-3011 ext 244

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Call you in a bit. I'm going to place an order but I got stuck at work (the nerve of these people!).

Mike, thanks for all of the tips. I actually have another account on here but it's disabled for some reason (probably inactivity?). Not that I posted much but I did my share of lurking and reading. I've used your products to polish my 03 Mach 1 to a mirror finish (minimal orange peel on that one, so I never sanded it). Had zero tracers or anything...for at least 3-4 hours
    http://tampaftp.com/jeff/2003%20Mach%201/IMG_7653.jpg

Sounds to me that I need to get the unigrit 1500 sanding, not finishing pads. Is there any wisdom at all in using the 1500 sanding, the 1500 finishing, then the 3000 finishing - or should I go right from 1500 sanding to 3000 finishing?

The car is my wifes 01 Cobra. It's black. It has very low miles but the previous owner neglected to remove love bugs from it and also allowed acid rain/fallout to etch the top surfaces to the point of no return. I had a local paint guy do the work and while he did a good job, I'm just picky about orange peel. He put two coats of clear on it and according to him, he puts on the clear a little heavy handed - so his 2 coats are closer to most painters 3 coats.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Additionally, the painter probably fixed some dirt or something and left some holograms and swirls. New black paint = huge project for the rest of my life

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast