autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation which one to choose makita bo6040 or Flex 3401??

which one to choose makita bo6040 or Flex 3401??

I've had a 6040 for awhile now and it looks pretty worn was thinking about getting a new one ,but came across the flex is it any better or lighter then the makita? Which would you choose and why??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: which one to choose makita bo6040 or Flex 3401??

for how many years u have the 6040 ?

most of people have the flex 3401 and its a forced rotation DA

the makita 6040 has both forced rotation mode and free spindle (like normal DA) mode

but since most of people have the flex i would recomend it

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used the Makita BO6040 so I can't comment on it's performance or durability. I do have the Flex 3401 and it's without a doubt the best dual action polisher I've ever used....

Power, ergonomics, forced rotation, size and performance are the finest I've seen...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

I've used both and the Flex 3401 is easier to work with as it's purposefully designed to be a "paint polisher".

The Makita BO6040 is a wood sander. The difference is when sanding with it the tool doesn't require a lot of muscle to control. When polishing paint with it, you will use a lot more muscle energy to control it as compared to the Flex 3401.

Why?

Because of the design shape.

If you look at the two tools, the Flex 3401 is longer with a forward bale handle and the rear grip at the back of the tool. The length of the tool body is not an accident, the length of the tool puts your hands far enough apart at both extreme ends to give you leverage over the tool, this makes it easier to hold and control for HOURS as you work through the,

1. Correct step
    2. Polishing step
    3. Machine waxing step

Some people might even do a second polishing step.

Point being, buffing out an entire car with a neglected finish from start to finish is going to take you anywhere from 4 to 8 hours behind the polisher.

The design engineers at Flex purposefully designed the Flex 3401 to be an ergonomically correct, powerful paint polishing tool that will remove defects without at the same time instilling holograms or burning high points. (Assuming you use the tool correctly and with quality pads and good abrasive technology).

The design engineers at Makita purposefully designed the Makita BO6040 to be an ergonomically correct, powerful wood sander. Can it be used to polish paint? Yes. And it does do a good job in the way that the Flex 3401 does a good job by offering a forced, dual action orbiting pattern for the buffing pad.

If I had to pick one and go buff out an entire car I would easily grab the Flex 3401 over the Makita BO6040.

Plus, down the road you can get different backing plates for the Flex and I'm a big fan of the 4" backing plate with 5" Hybrid pads.

Hope that helps...

Shared this same above information with a guy on the phone yesterday asking pretty much the same questions and all he wants a polisher for is his own vehicles. He wants to buy one polisher that he can trust to get the job done and now have buyers remorse a few months down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

To dovetail on Mike's comments, I recently bought a Flex 3401 and I'm noticeably less tired and "banged up" after a full day of polishing now then when I was using my 7424xp - especially running at speed 6. I hesitated for almost a year before buying the unit which is the only regret I have about the unit - should have jumped in sooner.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c5errr View Post
    for how many years u have the 6040 ?

most of people have the flex 3401 and its a forced rotation DA

the makita 6040 has both forced rotation mode and free spindle (like normal DA) mode

but since most of people have the flex i would recomend it
    I've only had it 4 1/2 years used for production 3 or 4 cars a day average on its 3rd backing plate,still works great but grip is commingle loose just looking to upgrade I guess $35k this week in new tools and equipment so these are the finishing touches ...

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I've used both and the Flex 3401 is easier to work with as it's purposefully designed to be a "paint polisher".

The Makita BO6040 is a wood sander. The difference is when sanding with it the tool doesn't require a lot of muscle to control. When polishing paint with it, you will use a lot more muscle energy to control it as compared to the Flex 3401.

Why?

Because of the design shape.

If you look at the two tools, the Flex 3401 is longer with a forward bale handle and the rear grip at the back of the tool. The length of the tool body is not an accident, the length of the tool puts your hands far enough apart at both extreme ends to give you leverage over the tool, this makes it easier to hold and control for HOURS as you work through the,

1. Correct step
    2. Polishing step
    3. Machine waxing step

Some people might even do a second polishing step.

Point being, buffing out an entire car with a neglected finish from start to finish is going to take you anywhere from 4 to 8 hours behind the polisher.

The design engineers at Flex purposefully designed the Flex 3401 to be an ergonomically correct, powerful paint polishing tool that will remove defects without at the same time instilling holograms or burning high points. (Assuming you use the tool correctly and with quality pads and good abrasive technology).

The design engineers at Makita purposefully designed the Makita BO6040 to be an ergonomically correct, powerful wood sander. Can it be used to polish paint? Yes. And it does do a good job in the way that the Flex 3401 does a good job by offering a forced, dual action orbiting pattern for the buffing pad.

If I had to pick one and go buff out an entire car I would easily grab the Flex 3401 over the Makita BO6040.

Plus, down the road you can get different backing plates for the Flex and I'm a big fan of the 4" backing plate with 5" Hybrid pads.

Hope that helps...

Shared this same above information with a guy on the phone yesterday asking pretty much the same questions and all he wants a polisher for is his own vehicles. He wants to buy one polisher that he can trust to get the job done and now have buyers remorse a few months down the road.

Sounds good guess I'll talk to you tomorrow..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    To dovetail on Mike's comments, I recently bought a Flex 3401 and I'm noticeably less tired and "banged up" after a full day of polishing now then when I was using my 7424xp - especially running at speed 6. I hesitated for almost a year before buying the unit which is the only regret I have about the unit - should have jumped in sooner.
    +1