autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 42 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Official Invitation to MIKE PHILLIPS! - Accepted!

Official Invitation to MIKE PHILLIPS!!!!!! - Accepted!

On Thursday December 6th, Yancy and I will be flying out to Lincoln, Nebraska and meeting up with our host Wes Collins, aka Proheader here on our forum to help Wes with the restoration of a muscle car that was hidden away in a barn for 17 years.

Stored in a barn for 17 years
    This classic example of Detroit Iron was a race car in it's former life and is now being restored to be a daily driver for Wes's business partner's son is completely unaware of this project and it's being kept a complete secret until Christmas morning when they will surprise the son with his dream car, a car he thinks was sold and long gone...

House of Kolor JetBlack
    The car is going into the paint booth this week to be painted using House of Kolor JetBlack and will be back to Wes's custom header shop on December 3rd.

Autogeek's Role
    Our job will be to sand the paint flat to remove any orange peel and other surface imperfections and then polish the paint to perfection to give this classic muscle car a true show car finish.

We have 2 full days to do all the sanding, compounding and polishing steps. Besides myself to do the work I'll have the painter of the car, another professional painter, a PPG Rep and a professional car restorer to help me knock this project out.

Special VIP Guest
    I'll also have a special guest joining us to really make this project a one-of a kind Christmas present that will be treasured forever.

Sponsors
    To help see this project through to success we have a number of sponsors we would like to thank for their contributions.

3M
    Dennis Povio, the Senior Account Representative has offered to supply all the sanding products will need including 3M wet/dry sanding papers, backing pads and Trizact Sanding Discs.

Flex North America
    Bob Eichelberg, the President of Flex Power Tools North America will be supplying Flex Rotary Buffers and Dual Action Polishers to do all the machine cutting and polishing.

Menzerna USA
    Jeff Silvers, President of Menzerna USA will be providing all the compounds and polishes for compounding and polishing the paint to perfection. This will include the brand new Fast Gloss 400 Compound or FG 400.

Lake Country Pad Manufacturers
    Eric Dunn, the Senior Account Manger for Lake Country Manufacturing will be providing all the wool and foam cutting pads needed for each of the compounding and polishing steps all the wa through the project.

Autogeek.net
    Max McKee, the President and CEO of Autogeek.net and Palm Beach Motoring Group will be providing products from the Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Line for adding all the finishing touches inside and out to create a true, rolling work of art. Max has also waived the traveling and on-location appearance fees for Yancy and me.

Grit Guard
    The wonderful family behind the Grit Guard company, Doug, Luan, Chris and Alli are sending a Grit Guard Universal Pad Wash and Detailing Cart.

One of the most important things I teach in all my classes is the importance of working clean and when it comes to doing the compounding and polishing steps to BLACK paint after a full wetsand process it's vitally important to clean your pads often, especially during the compounding step when using wool cutting pads with rotary buffers.
    ***Live Video Broadcast***

We arrive Thursday afternoon and will immediately go to the shop and start setting up. Yancy will be taking 2-3 cameras and Wes had High Speed Internet connected to the shop so we'll be able to broadcast all of the action LIVE !!!

Nothing like this has ever been done outside of our own live broadcasts here at Autogeek! Another FIRST in this industry by Autogeek.net

9:00 am, 11:00 am, 2:00 pm, 5:00 pm CENTRAL Time

Link to the playlist that will feature all the LIVE feed episodes.

Helping in the Heartland - YouTube

Passion for perfection
    Anyone that knows me knows I have a life long passion for detailing cars and specifically the paint polishing aspect. I teach wetsanding classes here at Autogeek although wetsanding down an entire car is a ton of work it is one of my favorite parts of the car detailing industry.

Updates to AutogeekOnline.net
    I will be taking my trusty, dusty Canon camera along with my laptop computer and will do my best to take pictures of this project and then share them on the forum.

How this all started...
    For reference, here's the link to the original thread that started this project and I would like to sincerely say thank you to Wes for trusting me through my articles, pictures and video to take the lead on this project.

Official Invitation to MIKE PHILLIPS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Proheader

"NOW ON WITH THE STORY:........

This car has been in a barn for 17 years. When the son left for college, it was backed in a corner and began to become a Bellagio for mice. There it sat year after year just settling dust on her back for years. So much dust that when we picked it up, we could not tell what color it was initially.

The story begins back at a Thanksgiving about two years ago when the car was brought up at the supper table....." that ol' thing, I will never be able to get it back, I just can not afford it right now".

A true father looks to help his son in any way he can. Dad lets the dust settle for a few months and then calls me. Hey, I want to do this ol' car for the kid. He put himself through college and knew one day that he maybe could afford the car once he became older. But Dad thought, why not now, we have the resources, and the team to get this done for him and give it to him for Christmas so he would not even suspect this thing is going on.

This is a TOTAL and I mean TOTAL surprise gift. Compare it to your Dad showing up with your first ever bicycle RESTORED!!!!.....just totally AWESOME.

I came to you Mike because of the passion you have for helping all of us. I just thought to ask for your help to the small guy sometimes that is willing to sell his own car to get you here and make this happen for a Dad that is not my father but has treated me like a son for over 8 years. He has seen my business grow from my home garage to a 6k square foot shop in only 14 months with four people now working part time and enough work until April of 2013. Without him I would not be here nor have the space to offer you to come and do this huge favor for us....

This whole thing is about more than a car, and a father and son. It is about helping those who would not have the opportunity to be something without the help of others who put their faith and trust in someone who has the potential but may not the chance to showcase it.......

If this works AWESOME, I think it will bring a feeling that will last forever in all of our minds beyond just those of us involved. It is a win for all of us who spend more than 20 hours awake everyday for 12 years to make a go at a business no one ever saw, except one person.......the kid's Dad saw it in me.....I am going to make this happen no matter what.......

So thanks Mike for even responding, it means the world to me that people even notice....

NOW, for those of you who want to know what the car is.....I can not reveal it yet because it is so different, that if I was to say, it would show up in this thread in a Google search.......lets just say....its AMERICAN MADE CAR, and it now sports an LS1 and a 6 speed...it will be a daily driver that he can hop in and come home anytime a few hours away...

Proheader..."

And remember....

It's the person that does the wet-sanding, cutting and buffing that makes or breaks the paint job -Mike Phillips

Machine sanding the Joker Truck...

Finished...

Mike Phillips

Re: Official Invitation to MIKE PHILLIPS!!!!!! - Invitation Accepted! – Autogeek Heads to Lincoln, Nebraska!

If you want to subscribe to this thread but are not sure how to do this, here's an article that shows you how to "Subscribe to a Thread"

How To Subscribe to a Thread

Then you can select to get e-mail notifications anytime this thread is updated or posted to...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Official Invitation to MIKE PHILLIPS!!!!!! - Invitation Accepted!

WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

thanks to all of you involved!!!

Proheader

Post Thanks / Like

"LET THE GAMES BEGIN".Have a safe trip you guys and look forward to each and every post.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be EPIC. Can't wait to see how this plays out and see the finished results.
    07 TBSS AWD 3SS (Black) - 09 TBSS 2WD 3SS (Silver)

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I gotta start thinking of some "different" race cars at the time.
    "Hard work always beats talent, if talent don't work hard."

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a couple guesses...

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to being a part of this. Have some really cool ideas brewing in my head to showcase everything that is going to be happening next weekend. Stay tuned everyone.

Yancy Martinez - MNKYHead Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Proheader View Post
    WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

thanks to all of you involved!!!

Proheader
    Hats off to you for having the drive to make this all happen. See you soon!

Yancy Martinez - MNKYHead Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I am working on getting you some of the best stuff Yancy. We have the Speedway Motors museum here and I working on a private tour so you can see some of the world's most unique engines. We also have another museum here in town that is personal with an original Batmobile inside along with one of the original Monkey's cars as well......

Looking forward to working hard and playing hard this upcoming work. I just want to enoy every minute of this project to the fullest. We could not do this without the Doctor, he makes this all possible.....

Yancy, drop me an email for things you may need this week that I can focus on them....

Proheader

Page 1 of 42 1234567891011 ... LastLast