autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning a convertible top on a 1950's canvas top.

This top is pretty flimsy and seems very delicate. Any suggestions on what product to clean and put a protection on it? I was thinking like acid wheel cleaner and wolfgang fuzion? Ok I'm using my defense mechanisms because I'm mad the cards played like 4th graders the past 3 games lol

But seriously what should I use. I have seen 303 protectant bead water like a nice wax. Thinking about buying some.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning a convertible top on a 1950's canvas top.

Anyone?

This is on a 50's porche.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard (but have not seen cuz I haven't used it) that 303 can rinse out and run down your paint.

I have a vinyl top on my Jeep and I use Raggtopp cleaner and protectant (two different products). I can't say enough good things about the pair. The cleaner cleans very well (you should see the crud that comes off) and thats actually the same product for fabric AND vinyl. The protectant darkens the finish and gives it a "wet" look that lasts about as long as it says it will on the bottle (3-5 weeks, but it doesn't seem to get patchy or anything). It also seems to keep dirt from setting in (again, this is vinyl, not fabric protectant). In any case they make a great product.

That being said, I have NOT used the fabric protectant as I have only ever had the vinyl top.. I should also point out that I am not a huge fan of their plastic window kit but I have not played with it enough to go into why or to criticize it properly yet.
    "If it ain't a stick, it ain't a Wrangler."

Post Thanks / Like
    ...sorry, should point out I live in New England, the car is a daily driver and I do NOT have a garage. Saying it lasts 3-5 in my conditions is about a 6 month equivalent for a garaged car lol

Post Thanks / Like

How should I clean this...cleaning it is my main concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autogeekmobile.net/rafacl.html

Follow the link to the cleaner and product info. There is a link for a horsehair brush on the store site that Raggtopp also sells. The brush is key - soft enough to avoid damaging the fabric, strong enough to get a good foam going.

Follow the directions on the bottle. Plan on washing it twice the first time - it took a little practice to get the foam up; it only foams a little, but it does foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Would a light APC work? I'm leaving town wed and may not have time to order anything off line.

Mike Phillips

Both RaggTopp and Areospace make very safe cleaners for canvas tops and don't scrub using a stiff bristle brush, use something like a Horsehair brush...

How to clean and protect convertible canvas and cloth tops

For this class we're using RaggTopp products to clean and protect a Canvas Top. The day before I washed the top carefully because it was dusty and had bug poo spots on it. To do this I used the RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Convertible Top Brush and the RaggTopp Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner.

The horse hair brush has soft bristle so it wont' make your canvas top fuzzy looking by fraying the fibers. The RaggTopp Fabric Cleaner is safe so you're not using to harsh or strong a cleaner.

After washing I blotted dry using Guzzler Waffle Weave drying towels. This was all done on Friday and then the top was allowed to FULLY DRY overnight and out in FULL SUN on Saturday until we pulled it into the garage for the protection step.

NOTE: Before you can apply the first application of a fabric protectant or any second or third applications of protectant, the top must be bone-dry in order for maximum bonding of the protection ingredients.

In the case of RaggTopp Fabric Protectant, this product uses Ciba Tinuvin UV Blockers, the most costly UV Blockers available for this application.

RaggTopp fabric cleaner and protectant are also endorsed and recommended by the Haartz Corporation as well as Rode & Schwalenber Gmbh. (Germany). Rode & Schwalenber have been manufacturing convertible top materials for 105 years and The Haartz Corporation manufactures the majority of convertible tops for auto manufactures world wide. Pretty good credentials.

In this shot I'm explaining how I cleaned the canvas top the day before and why not to use brushes with stiff, coarse bristles.

Using the aerosol RaggTopp Protectant is basically like using a can of spray paint

Hold the can about 12" away and use overlapping motions as you spray the protectant. Be sure to thoroughly spray any seams or stitching.

Here's Iain spraying on the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant...

Use an overlapping, sweeping motion...

In this shot, as I spray the leading edge I can't help but get a little overspray onto the glass but it's not a problem as the overspray will wipe off easily and if you get any on paint it's completely safe and won't cause any harm.

Here's Tony wiping overspray off the windshield using a clean, microfiber towel...

Products

RaggTopp Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner

RaggTopp Fabric Protectant

RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Convertible Top Brush

The Guzzler Triple Kit

You can also see Autogeek's how-to segment on Two Guys Garage...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    Would a light APC work? I'm leaving town wed and may not have time to order anything off line.

Sure. Also Woolite.

Be sure that top is bone dry before applying the protectant.