autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How to use a Rotary Polisher

How to use a Rotary Polisher

Here's the demo vehicle I used to teach my recent class on how to use a rotary buffer, it's a 1966 Corvette Sting Ray that's filled with millions of swirls and scratches. How you see the paint on the car depends on ho you inspect it.

A swirled-out old 2-door Chevy...

Inspecting the true condition of the paint
    In the pictures above the paint looks very good but below is how it actually looked...

This is called, "The Sun Shot", it's when you move the car into full overhead sun and position the reflection of the sun onto the horizontal panels where it will reveal swirls, scratches and water spots.

The Sun Shot

Paint Condition
    According to the chapter on paint condition categories in my how-to book, The Art of Detailing this paint fall into category #5 & #6 because it has both sever cobweb swirls and holograms.

5: Severely Neglected
    Paint in this condition has deep swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation. Paint in this condition has normal day-in, day-out wear-n-tear plus no real regular maintenance. Vehicles in this category are rarely washed on a regular basis and when they are washed they are washed improperly or taken through automatic car wash.
    Cobweb Swirls and Scratches
    Paint that is severely neglected means that when viewed in bright, overhead sunlight, there are so many swirls and scratches that the paint has an overall hazy appearance which blocks your view of the true color.

Water Spots
    Paint that is in the severely neglected category can have Type I, Type II and Type III water spots on all horizontal panels and even the vertical panels if caused by a sprinkler or some type of water spray.

Severe Oxidation
    Paint in this category has oxidized to the point where the surface has a uniform dull appearance to the horizontal surfaces and to some extent the vertical panels. Clear coats do oxidize but usually slower than single stage paints and don't normally get the whitish, chalky appearance with a rough texture common to old, neglected single stage lacquers and enamels.
    6: Horrendous Swirls - Caused by the misuse of a rotary buffer
    This category is primarily for cars that have been improperly buffed-out using a rotary buffer leaving the finish inflicted with rotary buffer swirls, holograms or buffer trails.
    (Whatever term you like, they all mean the same thing).

The severity of the swirls can range from shallow to deep depending upon the pad and product used with the rotary buffer as well as technique or lack thereof.

The normal three culprits for paint in this condition are,
    Dealer Installed Swirl Option
    Bodyshop Installed Swirl Option
    Detailer Installed Swirl Option
    Sad but true, the people in this industry that are supposed to know how to properly buff out a car normally either don't know or don't care. The results are the same and that's a swirled out car finish that someone else will have to undo.

Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light
    Here's what the paint looks like when lit up with the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light...

Doing a Test Spot Using a Rotary Buffer
    A couple of days before the class I did a Test Spot for a number of reasons,
    1. To ensure the paint could be restored.

2. To dial in a process that would undo the damage and restore a swirl-free, show car finish.

3. Get a feel for the paint itself, that is how soft or hard it is and how easy or difficult it would be to correct.
    The Major Correction or Cutting Step
    Because every inch of ever body panel was filled with swirls and the goal is to remove as many of the defects as possible I chose to start out with an aggressive compound and a wool pad.

M105 with a W5000 Wool Pad on the DeWALT 849X

The Minor Correction or Polishing Step
    After the cutting step the next thing to do is restore and maximize gloss and clarity by removing any holograms and haze left by the aggressive fibers that make up a wool cutting pad and the cutting action of the abrasives in the compound. Because M105 uses Super Microscopic Abrasive Technology, the majority of any holograms are not from the abrasives but from the individual fibers that make up a wool cutting pad and the downward rotating pressure applied to cut the paint.

Thus the swirls should be very shallow and easily removed with the companion or twin product to the M105 and that's the M205 Ultra Polish. For this I switched over to a foam polishing pad.

M205 with a 7" Softbuff Polishing Pad

Jeweling with a Rotary Buffer
    After removing the holograms and polishing to a high gloss the paint looked flawless and ready to wax but instead I chose to squeeze a little more gloss and shine out of the paint by jewelling it with the same polish but I switched to a much softer foam finishing pad. For this I turned my polisher down to 600 RPM's and slowly moved the rotary buffer over the paint.

M205 with a 7" Softbuff Finishing Pad

Using the Brinkmann to inspect the results...

Inspection Results
    Here are the results after doing the above three steps using the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light and then overhead florescent lights.

Before

After

Overhead Florescent Lights
    Here I've stood back and taken a picture from an angle lower, and flatter to the hood of the car with the overhead florescent lights placed over the tape-line.

Close-up
    The below picture is the same exact picture above except I've cropped out the specific area to show before and after results.

Here's some of the tools I used for this test spot...

Conclusion
    I performed the above test spot to answer 3 questions.

1. Can the paint be restored?

The answer to this question is a resounding "yes"
    The paint was in severely neglected condition and the age of this paint job is not known but from my testing I proved the paint could be successfully restored. There are some paints that are past the point of no return and nothing you pour out of a bottle or scoop out of a can will fix them. That is not the case with the paint on this Corvette.

2. Can a process be dialed-in to restore a swirl-free, show car finish.

The answer to this question is "yes"
    The Meguiar's Twins M105 and M205 provided all the cut we needed to remove the defects and using only two polishing steps restore the car to a swirl-free, show car finish.

3. Determine if the paint is on the soft side or the had side?

The answer to this was somewhere in the middle of soft and hard. Actually, it's in the sweet spot which not to had and not to soft and that's exactly where you want your car's paint to be.

Next up it's hands-on training time...

Mike Phillips

Re: How to use a Rotary Buffer

What do you do after you dial-in your test spot and prove your system approach for removing the defects and restoring the shine?

Tape-off and Cover-up
    Next you want to tape-off and cover-up anything you don't want to get splatter on or potentially damage including covering and protecting the convertible top.

The perfect training vehicle
    Classic Corvettes like this 1966 Sting Ray work great for learning how to hold and use a rotary buffer. There are plenty of raised body lines to learn how to avoid buffing on top of and a good mix of flat panes and lots of curves. PLUS it's a CORVETTE!

Audrey & Juan learning to use a Rotary Buffer on a 1966 Corvette

At this last weekend's class we had a a married couple attend, Juan and Audrey and both were new to machine polishing. Over the course of the 2-day class they both received lots of hands-on training and hands-on practice using a variety of tools.

Here's Audrey and Juan learning to use a Flex PE14 Rotary Buffer with a wool pad and Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound to remove the swirls and scratches out of a 1966 Corvette Sting Ray...

First thing a person needs to learn is how to clean their wool pad using a pad cleaning spur

Perfect!

Next is learning to pick up an bead of product using the 10 @ 10 Technique...

Then with a little hands-on guidance, how much pressure to apply, how slow to move the polisher over the paint and how much downward pressure to use...

Removing swirls and scratches next to the driver side mirror...

She's doing great!

Nice job Audrey!

Adam
    First up is my friend Adam who is a beginning detailer that attends a lot of my Thursday Night Clinics helping out with all the cool cars we work on. In this shot I'm teaching him how to pick up his bead of product using the 10 @ 10 Technique and then buffing out a flat panel.

Lester's turn to practice using a rotary buffer...

First I show him how to pick up his bead of product using the 10 @ 10 Technique so he looks like a Pro and doesn't throw splatter everywhere...

I've placed some extra product into the curve so it's well lubricated and there's plenty of abrasives to enable Lester to cut out the swirls and scratches...

For the rest of the students, I point to the opposite side to show the area Lester is cutting...

Edging
    Now he's up on edge to cut the edge and remove the swirls and scratches right up to the tape-line...

Edging...

Majoring on the Majors
    After tackling all the edges now he's majoring on the major panels and removing the swirls and then he'll make a few "Cover Passes" to tie it all together for a uniform appearance without the original swirls and scratches.

Mike Phillips

Greg's Turn...
    First I'm going to show Greg how to pick up a bead of product using the 10 @ 10 Technique...

After he picks up his bead he instantly holds the pad flat to the surface to start cutting out the original swirls and scratches...

Here I'm placing some fresh product into the curved section of the spear to provide lubrication and abrasives. I actually take my finger and spread this out a little bit to lubricate and protect the paint.

Now Greg brings the wool pad into the curved body line to carefully cut out the swirls and scratches....

Here's Greg edging...

Here's Greg going up on edge to cut a thin section between the corner of where the hood meets the body and the edge of the body line where the hideaway headlights are located.

Here I'm guiding Greg to show him the angle to hold the pad to cut the paint next to the headlight edge...

And after cutting all the edges now he ties it all together by holding the pad as flat as possible to major on the major portions of this body section.

Erik
    Next up, Erik uses the Flex PE14 to remove swirls and scratches off the deck lid...

First we pick up the bead of product so we don't sling it everywhere...

Here's Erik working the edges of the curves first...

Removing swirls and scratches around the taped-off gas filler cap...

Freestyling! Knocking out the major portion of the panel after first taking care of the more complicated edges and curves. Erik was a natural with the rotary buffer.

Craig's turn at cleaning up the paint on this classic 1966 Corvette....

First is learning how to pick up a bead using the 10 @ 10 Technique...

While Craig gets of feel for how a wool pad feels spinning against the flat panel I'm laying down a thin bead of product next to the curve or the raised body line because next he's going to bring the pad in their and cut the swirls and scratches out of the curved area without buffing on top of the raised portion...

First pick up the bead in the curved portion...

Now it's time to go up on edge and do some gentle cutting...

Freestyling and buffing like a pro!

Mike Phillips

Jeff's turn...
    Here's Jeff learning how to use a rotary buffer...

First is the basics and that's how to pick up a bead of product using the 101 @ 10 Technique...

Perfect. Once he gets past the bead of product he quickly lays the pad flat to lock the product between his pad and the paint EXACTLY WHERE YOU WANT IT! Not splattered all over the car or yourself.

Here he's cutting the swirls and scratches from along an edge, also called edging...

Getting a little correction on his angle around the script...

Going up on edge to remove the swirls and scratches around the gas cap...

And how he's making his "Cover Passes" to clean things up and finish out that panel

Eric's turn...
    Here's Eric working out the swirls and scratches next to the raised body line and curved area on the panel behind the where the convertible top attaches...

Then around the edge of the convertible top...

Then along the back edge...

After edging the panel he knocks out the flat, major portion of this panel and ties all his work together with a few cover passes...

Jay's turn...
    Jay's up next but first he's going to demonstrate how to clean a wool pad on a rotary buffer using a steel spur...

Perfect...

Picking up his bead using the 10 @ 10 Technique...

Cutting out the swirls and scratches around the back of the convertible top...

Then along the curved portion of the raised body line...

Paul's turn...

Paul's turn and Paul is going to tackle the side of the driver's side rear fender...

Anytime you're using a rotary buffer you need to be looking across from the panel you're working. If you don't have a way to lift the car then you need to lower yourself to the panel...

By the time everyone did some buffing with the rotary buffer we knocked out all the horizontal panels and the upper portions of the vertical panels. All that's left to do is the polishing steps.

Mike Phillips

Final Results...

After finishing the polishing steps I machine applied one application of Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and then took the below video and beauty shots...

Classic Corvette by Chevrolet, Show Car Shine by Autogeek
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs48OLCgP3c&hd=1]1966 Corvette Show Car Makeover at Autogeek! - YouTube[/video]

Beauty Shots...

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible Mike. What were your speeds on the 849x for each of the three steps?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Incredible Mike. What were your speeds on the 849x for each of the three steps?

For cutting with the wool pad I was at 1500 RPM for the second polishing step probably around 1200 RPM and for the final polishing step on the 600 RPM speed setting.

Mike Phillips

Here's few more "after" pictures off my memory card...

Stick a fork in this Vette... it's done...

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you what it is...it's gorgeous!!!!!!!

Mr. Phillips,
    How long were your beads of products?
    Were you still trying to work in a 2x2 area where possible?
    What was the amount of product used when edgeing?
    How long did you work each product?

(I have some idea what the answers may be, but I'd rather not guess. Plus, others reading may want to know as well.)

Working with the rotary is a goal of mine and I've had some experience on gel-coat, but haven't gotten to use it on paint. I feel much more confident now after seeing proper technique. I wish this had been on video.
    Bill

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast