autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle system with Zaino???

My black Tacoma has several coats of z2. I want it to look better so I have purchased the Pinnacle system used in Mike Phillips video. I want to do everything exactly like the video, except use z2 before the soveran for durability over the winter. Will the z2 bond over the Pinnacle lotion? Will the z2 detract from the Soveran? Is there a better plan for black? Thanks guys. I really appreciate all that I have learned from you all.

Mike Phillips

Re: Pinnacle system with Zaino???

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post

Will the z2 bond over the Pinnacle lotion?
    No. Zaino states the surface must be stripped free from any polishing/lubricating oils and any other substance that could interfere with the bonding of their protection ingredients.

Will the z2 detract from the Soveran?
    When I worked for Meguiar's I tested Zaino products extensively and even wrote a 60+ page called "The Zaino Case Study", which was a report on both Zaino and how discussion forums work for viral word-of-mouth advertising. This was in 2003 and keep in mind, "Discussion Forums" were BRAND NEW so older people in management positions really didn't know what they were. I even created a power point presentation to show the difference between a discussion forum and a chat room. Need pictures to show the difference.

I wasn't too impressed by Z2 until the Z2 Pro was introduced. It's actually a very good and long lasting sealant that makes water bead-up like crazy and you can't wash it off. That's another fun story about a test R&D did that afterwards, the VP of Meguiar's apologized to me for not listening to me for over a year when I told him Zaino lasted a lot longer than NXT Tech Wax, of which I wrote the concept paper for back when I wrote the Zaino Case Study.

Is there a better plan for black? Thanks guys. I really appreciate all that I have learned from you all.

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Pinnacle Finishing Polish work really well to remove swirls and scratches and prep the paint for the application of "something", that is a car wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a coating. But if you use "some" sealants, and all coatings you need to chemically strip the paint first.

I'm not a huge fan of chemically stripping paint because the potential exists to dull the paint and micro-mar it during the stripping process. Washing CAREFULLY with a detergent soap can be a lot less evasive.

I don't use the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion much because this is a chemical cleaner only and most of the time I need to remove swirls and scratches. It does work well and I demonstrate it here,

How to clay, clean and wax paint by hand with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

Here's a car we used Pinnacle Swirl Remover and Finishing Polish on and then we chemically stripped the paint and applied Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer. I looked at the car last Saturday and it still looks great.

Video & Pictures - GTechniq Makeover - 2012 High Voltage Yellow Scion tC 7.0

Mike Phillips

My black Tacoma has several coats of z2. I want it to look better so I have purchased the Pinnacle system used in Mike Phillips video. I want to do everything exactly like the video, except use z2 before the Souveran for durability over the winter.

One thing you can do is apply the Souveran over the Z2, that way you'll have the durability of the Z2 locked onto the paint and use the Souveran as your beauty wax...

The key to making black paint look great is first removing the defects. This clearcoated El Camino came in filled with swirls and scratches and it was really making the paint look ugly and therefore the car look ugly.

We removed the swirls and scratches, that's the fun part of car detailing, not cleaning carpets, and then we applied Souveran Paste Wax over it and it came out beautiful.

1959 Chevrolet El Camino - Extreme Makeover - Modeled by Christina

Doing a Test Spot

Next up we did a Test Spot to see what it was going to take to remove the swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation in order to restore a show car shine...

Before buffing out the entire car we first tested the paint to see what it would take to remove the defects. I did the test spot and started with a Tangerine Polishing Pad with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover on a PC 7424XP on speed setting 6

Robert strips the paint using IPA diluted with water to about 12% dilution strength...

Robert wiping off the panel while Jeff watches...

Here's the before and after difference using the flash from my camera to light up the paint...

Before Side

After Side

Before Side

After Side

Before and after...

After...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dewy...

Disclaimer:
    I have never personally used any Zaino car-care products…

But…With you stating that you have used products in the Zaino line-up for awhile now:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...no-switch.html

And…After reading your following threads the other day:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ombo-work.html
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-good-one.html

-I decided to call upon a couple Buddies of mine that are "Zaino-Zealots",
    to see if I could get some feedback regarding your concerns.

-They ascribe to the following "steps" (of course they prefer Sal’s suggestions/product-line):

1. No problem in using the paint-correction/paint-prep products/product-line of choice.
    2. Vehicle then needs to be stripped/washed (Dawn Ultra) of any "correction-products’ left-overs" (oils, for example)
    3. Then apply Z-AIO
    4. Since this is a darker vehicle…Then: Z-5 w/ZFX; let cure and buff
    5. Next…Z-2 w/ZFX; let cure and buff
    6. If no further layers/coats of anything-Zaino are desired…Use your non-abrasive-wax of choice.

-I’m sure you know most of the Zaino-process…Just my Buddies lending a hand.

Bob

QUICK EDIT

NOTE: Mike Phillips' replies to this thread can be taken to the Bank...IMO.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, FUNX725. I agree Mike Phillips' rules.

Post Thanks / Like

The only Zaino product I know of that ponds to anything other than Zaino is their Z-CS wowo product, it even says so on their website.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

My black Tacoma has several coats of z2. I want it to look better so I have purchased the Pinnacle system used in Mike Phillips video.

Please keep us updated on this project...

Post Thanks / Like
    I took Mike's advice and in the middle of the polish stage. Wow. He knows what he is talking about and Pinnacle twins are great. I tried to take pictures but they are not turning out. Thanks Mike.