autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning & Protecting a Fabric Top

I have a Tan Fabric convertible top which developed numerous dark brown spots, even after I used RaggTop Fabric Cleaner and Protectant on it less than 6 months earlier, and it was still beading water. I don't know what they might be, but Do Not think that they are tree sap. Neither RaggTop Cleaner nor Dawn will take these off. What else should I try? Please note that it is a Fabric top, and while I have used RaggTop Fabric Cleaner on it again since the spots developed, it is still beading water.

Someone mentioned Folex carpet cleaner in an article about cleaning a fabric interior. Should I try this? Is there really any difference between Folex and the more common Bissell Oxy Professional Carpet Stain Remover or 3M Scotchgard Oxy Spot and Stain Remover for Carpet?

Finally, since I mentioned Scotchgard, I'm now wondering if this might not work as well or better than the much more expensive Raggtop Protectant, (after I get these spots off). It works great on other facrics.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning & Protecting a Fabric Top

I also have the same problem except my tan convertible top is VINYL.
    I have tried Raggtop vinyl cleaner with no real results. I called Haartz as they endorse RaggTop products & they told me to try mixing 50% RaggTopp cleaner with 50% plain Ammonia on the spots. This helped but still didn't get rid of them. I recently attended an Auto Show and spoke to a few owners of tan top convertibles. Most told me to replace the entire top, but one mentioned a product called ACRYSOL that got rid of his spots. I haven't tried it yet as he mentioned it is very powerful and must be used in small amounts (about the size of a dime on each spot) and spread out as it will strip any protective coating off your top & a new protective coating must be applied soon after use. He recommends I try it in an inconspicuous spot as it may affect the color. It worked for him on his show car which has won many awards & trophys.
    Hope this helps,
    Sssnake

Post Thanks / Like

I would try Folex or an APC and see what the results are
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

APC = All Purpose Cleaner ???

Post Thanks / Like

Is it necessary to use the "3M Scotchgard Fabric Cleaner" prior to using the "3M SCOTCHGARD FABRIC & UPHOLSTERY PROTECTOR"? I want to clean and protect my fiber seats.

Scotchgard Fabric & Upholstery Protector & Cleaner :3M US

3M Scotchgard Fabric Protector - Amazon.com

Post Thanks / Like

As should be the case with all things detailing, start with the least aggressive products. It does look like you are taking the right approach but do be aware that with the use of ammonia and APC, you are using strongly alkaline blends and potentially even caustic hydroxide products. In isolation this is OK but make sure you remove all remnants of this because elevated pH is well known to lead to rotting of fibres and, perhaps more importantly, compromising of colour fastness - so you could accelerate fading. I read very little about this but I think it is a very worthwhile consideration in a community like this - we are not about doing things cheap and fast, we want to do them the best way possible. So make sure you wash the fabric repeatedly with water after the use of anything alkaline (a quick rinse won't cut it) or source a professional fabric neutraliser product (I am afraid I cannot make specific product recommendations relevant to the US).

All the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Megane View Post
    As should be the case with all things detailing, start with the least aggressive products. It does look like you are taking the right approach but do be aware that with the use of ammonia and APC, you are using strongly alkaline blends and potentially even caustic hydroxide products. In isolation this is OK but make sure you remove all remnants of this because elevated pH is well known to lead to rotting of fibres and, perhaps more importantly, compromising of colour fastness - so you could accelerate fading. I read very little about this but I think it is a very worthwhile consideration in a community like this - we are not about doing things cheap and fast, we want to do them the best way possible. So make sure you wash the fabric repeatedly with water after the use of anything alkaline (a quick rinse won't cut it) or source a professional fabric neutraliser product (I am afraid I cannot make specific product recommendations relevant to the US).

All the best
    Thank You. I guess what you are trying to say is that the 3M products need to be washed off with water. But one of them is a protectant and if it is washed off, there won't be any protection.
    How would you clean fabric upholstery in Ireland?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supernaut View Post
    Thank You. I guess what you are trying to say is that the 3M products need to be washed off with water. But one of them is a protectant and if it is washed off, there won't be any protection.
    How would you clean fabric upholstery in Ireland?
    I am not at a computer to find a 3m datasheet to tell me the pH. If it is neutral, you are ok and only a normal rinse is ok. I will check later.

The protector is another story and I'd find it hard to believe it would have an unsuitable pH - as you say, it would somewhat spoil its effect!

I imagine pro fabric cleaners in the US will do the same as us - use a slightly acidic neutralizing rinse. I just couldn't name one you would be able to buy over there.