autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Here's some pictures showing the size of different backing plates on the popular Meguiar's Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers.

The Griot's and Meguiar's DA Polishers come with 6" backing plates and the Porter Cable by itself does not come with a backing plate.

If you want to use 5.5" foam pads on any of these tools you'll need to remember to order a separate backing plate when your order your polishers.

From left to right...

Factory Griot's 6" BP, Lake Country 5" BP, Meguiar's 5" BP and 5" Black Heavy Duty BP

5" Lake Country held against 6" Griot's Garage Backing Plate for size reference

5" Lake Country Backing Plate on 6" Griot's Backing Plate for size reference

Griot's measures just under 6"

Griot's measures approximately 5 3/4"

Lake Country measures just under 5"

Meguiar's W67DA measures just under 5"

Heavy Duty Black DA Backing plate measures just under 5"

Griot's 6" backing plate too large to safely use with 5.5" foam buffing pads

Backing plate overhangs past foam pad

See the little rubber cap?
    It holds the compression washer on the threaded stud and also protects the threads when the backing plate is not in use. Do not loose it and if you do you can simply wrap some tape around the threads while backing plate is in storage.

This is a Compression Washer - Don't lose it and don't use any backing plate without it.

Meguiar's G110v2 comes with the W68DA Backing plate, it's too large to safely use with a 5.5" foam buffing pad.

Meguiar's W67DA Backing plate placed on top of the W68DA Backing plate for size reference

With a 5.5" foam buffing pad attached you can see the overhang of the W68DA Backing Plate

The Meguiar's W68DA Backing plate measures just under 6" in diameter

From left to right...

Griot's Garage 6" Backing Plate, Meguiar's W68DA Backing Plate and Meguiar's W67DA Backing Plate

3 popular DA Polishers ready to rock and roll with 5" backing plates and 5.5" buffing pads...

Mike Phillips

Re: 5.5" Backing Plates on Meguiar's and Griot's DA Polishers

On Autogeek.net

The below backing plates will fit the Griot's, Meguiar's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Meguiars W67DA G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate

The Black Dual Action 5 Inch HD Backing Plate

Lake Country 5" DA Backing Plate <-- Get this one as the Velcro will match Lake Country Pads

Get the below pads to maximize the efficiency of any dual action polisher.

Lake Country

5.5" Flat Pads

The outer edge of the face of these pads is tapered so they are actually a little under 5" in diameter

Approximately 7/8" thick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Thanks Mike!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

G220v.1 & v.2 comes with 5" b/plate.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Ref: "The Washer"

If you loose it, (actually BEFORE you loose it) take a look at your local hardware store plumbing department. These are a fiber washer and are use commonly in the plumbing trade.

Coat...50 cents or so.

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    Thanks Mike!
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    G220v.1 & v.2 comes with 5" b/plate.
    Good information to know for people that live outside the U.S. My guess is some countries don't want to import the 7" Softbuff pads especially if they already import the 6" pads that have been around since the 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Ref: "The Washer"

If you loose it, (actually BEFORE you loose it) take a look at your local hardware store plumbing department. These are a fiber washer and are use commonly in the plumbing trade.

Coat...50 cents or so.

Bill

Great point Bill.

I'll try to take a picture of the damage caused by not using the compression washer today and add it to this thread.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike
    If i have PC7424 can i use the Meg backing plate?
    Because i just got one and my PC backing plate is kind of messed up.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes fender picks, the W67DA or W68DA will fit the PC7424XP, PC7424, Griot's garage 6" ROP and the Meguiar's G110v2.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
    Hey Mike
    If i have PC7424 can i use the Meg backing plate?
    Because i just got one and my PC backing plate is kind of messed up.

Like Marc said, "yes" the Megs backing plate will work with your PC7424

Lots of people never add the letters XP at the end of 7424 so I never know for sure if they have a first generation Porter Cable 7424 or a second generation Porter Cable 7424XP but in case you do have a first gen, be sure to read this article,

The short how-to guide for using a DA Polisher
    How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers

and this one,

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

All of the popular DA Polishers, old and new can use backing plates with the 5/16" threaded stud for attachment to the spindle.

Threaded stud in picture below is 5/16 and common to all popular DA polishers

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mike, Pre ordered the Groits DA I have a couple questions for you. I want to go with 5.5" lake country pads and also will be using the Meg Microfiber system which backing plate would I buy? Can I use the same backing plate for regular LC pads and Meg Microfiber system? I am debating on adding the larger/longer cord is this nessasary? What advantage does it have? Advise from some other member out there would also be greatly appreciated thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast