autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

i think my brand new car was repainted at the factory

I have a 2012 camaro that I have had for about 3 months now. The color is black metallic. I started noticing about 3 months ago that the paint on the driver’s door appears blotchy and uneven. I did not see this on any other panel of the car, including the passenger’s door. I did a little research on the matter and for whatever reason, I decided I was just being picky and stopped caring.

Well, yesterday I was leaving the grocery store and my girlfriend says to me “what’s wrong with your paint?” This coming from a girl who cannot even tell the difference in my car’s appearance 1 day after washing last or 10 days after washing last. To my dismay the paint looked awful, the paint job looked like something you’d find in a preschooler’s coloring book.

At this point I knew something was wrong and that I finally needed to take action. I called my dealership today and they said they are willing to slap a paint thickness gauge on it to see if a spot repaint was done before the car was delivered to me. They didn’t really say what they would do next if in fact a spot repaint was done.

I imagine the dealer will say no repaint was done and I’ll be on my way home deciding if I want to fork over the money to fix this issue myself, or they will acknowledge a repaint was done and offer to fix it at their own body shop. I really doubt they will be willing to let me take it to a more reputable body shop and pay them to do the repaint. And it is even very likely they will acknowledge the issue but offer no assistance in correcting the paint. What do you guys think? How should I handle the situation?

Here is a picture not from yesterday, but 6 weeks ago. You may be able to see between the mirror and the door handle that every 6” or so the paint seems to go from a dark hue to a light hue. Some people cannot see this in pictures. This effect is much, much more pronounced in real life vs. a picture, even though the lighting does have to be just right. Please let me know your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: i think my brand new car was repainted at the factory

It kinda looks like it could be "tiger striping" which can happen on metallic paint jobs if they aren't done right. I can't say for sure since it's a picture, but it does seem like there are vertical stripes every few inches, and that is what the tiger stripe effect looks like.

A dealership is allowed do up to 10% of the car's value in repairs and not have to tell the customer. So it could be that it was painted prior to being sold and they didn't have to tell you. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you order it new or was it at dealer for a while? May have been repainted at dealership. Shipping damage, lot damage, test drive mishap?

Sometimes they will repaint at factory if they dont come out right on the inspection.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

This car I ordered and was built for me. I picked it up the day it was delivered to the dealership, unless of course they lied to me about the day it was actually delivered.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a used 2003 Corvette last October. The build date for the car is 11/14/2002. I have a car report that indicates severe damage reported on 11/29/2002, left front impact with another vehicle, no mileage listed. These dates are only 15 days apart. Another entry in the car report states 12/26/2002, ACWORTH, GA, at 233 miles the car was listed in dealer inventory...

Post Thanks / Like

Iwould press them or GM to find out what has happened, like was said above it could have happened at the dealership before you received it. Check to see what date it was shipped to the dealer. I wouldn't trust what the Dealer says.

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing I was going to say was it might have been the detailer in the "prep" department, but if you picked it up the day the delivered it...of course as you say, they may not have been entirely forthcoming.

One thing to keep in mind is that, besides transit damage, which can happen, is that not every car comes out of the paint shop perfect. The factory will rework cars before they leave the plant. Too bad it's not the passenger door

PS I really like those metallic blacks

Post Thanks / Like

I would fight from the angle that the paint is far from perfect, in fact rather flawed. Whether it was due to a repaint or just poor application to begin with (which seeing how cars are painted robotically) is probably unlikely. This should be a warranty issue, whether GM or the dealer has to fix it, they should fix it. Its not like that is an inexpensive car. Bring it to the attention to the dealer and see how they respond. If not make a case with GM corporate.

Post Thanks / Like

That would have ROYALLY pissed me off!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Discuss it with the dealership. There is a paint warrant, to cover defects, etc.

IMO. It looks like the driver rear fender was repainted. It may be the direction of the sun and reflection.
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast