autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

lsp removal prior to or after iron x and tar x

Going to detail two vehicles next week that belong to my college buddy and need advice regarding the order of things.This will be only my second time detailing a vehicle.

Facts of case:

- Vehicle #1 Early 1970's chevy grain truck with single stage green paint that has been waxed throughout it's life with paint in pretty good shape. It has been in a covered shop it's whole life except during harvest.
    - Vehicle #2 appx 2000 Chevy two tone pick up blue and white color that has been garaged most of it's life with dual stage paint. In good shape probably with minor swirls. Going to ready it to be sold.
    -Going to use Meguiars MF System on vehicle #2 for the cutting stage and then attempt to finish up using a rotary and foam pad with Mezerna PO106fa or 85rd
    -May use DA with lake Country Pads and M205 on Vehicle #1
    -Will try test spots on both to determine best course of action.

Questions:

1) Is Kleen Strip Prep All ok to use on single stage and dual stage paint for wax removal?

2) Should Prep All be used prior to or after iron x and tar x ? Just trying to get the wax removed and the contaminants off the vehicles prior to compounding.

Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lsp removal prior to or after iron x and tar x

I don't think you need prep all. Just use some dawn and regular car soap to wash. Make sure to dry the cars well before spraying the Iron X so it doesn't get too diluted. Also do not to let it dry under the sun.

Are you planning to clay or do you think the Iron X and Tar X will get rid of all bonded contaminants?

I make it a rule that if I'm going to machine polish, I clay first
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Follow Up Questions?

1) I have both Dawn and Prep all. Could Prep all be used at all for the purpose I was enquiring about or is it best suited as a wipe down after compounding and polishing and prior to (LSP) last step product to remove oils.

2) How many oz of Dawn to use in 4 gallons of water if I use it to remove the old wax?

Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd use it heavy 3-4oz

what I use is OPC at 3:1 spritzed on a panel, allowed to dwell a minute, then washed with my regular car soap and some dawn. Seems to work well for me.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

IMO you don't really need to be concerned with removing the LSP before a LSP stripping wash. A wash with regular car shampoo and some APC, OPC, or Dawn added to it should remove the LSP completely or at least enough for the Iron-X to work efficiently. Then I would at least feel the paint to determine if claying is necessary. If you are going to be compound/polishing both vehicle then the only things I would concern myself with is removing bonded contaminates with tar remover, iron remover, and clay, and let the polishing do the rest with out any wasted time/steps.
    The one thing I am not sure makes much sense to me is using Meg MFDA compound then using a rotary to finish it out. I would think the reverse (using MFDA finishing wax) would make more sense and save you more time and headache. Especially if the vehicle is being sold and not a show vehicle. I can understand trying your potential method to gain experience. If that's the case I would experiment with some less visible flat panels and not spend more time than it's worth for what you are getting paid.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing