autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Queries on use of Collinite 476S & 845

HI folks

I have a white Ford Focus LX, which is not garaged and has to suffer through the extreme UV radiation of a Perth summer. To do the best for the car's protection, I bought some Collinite 476S and 845.

I washed and claybarred before applying 2 layers of Collinite 476S. I intend to apply one more coat of 476S before finishing off with an application of Collinite 845 (which I understand is especially designed to afford UV protection).

My questions:
    1. Should I claybar again before applying the 845, or will this remove the current layers of 476S? Or, is it simply unnecessary, since I used the claybar within the last two weeks, and immediately after applied the 476S? (For the second application, I only washed and dried the car - didn't claybar - and was intending only to wash and dry before applying the last coating of 476S).

2. How long after the application of the final coating of 476S should I wait before washing the car again and applying the 845?

3. Is there anything to be gained by applying a second coat of 845 soon after the first? If so, I assume I don't need to claybar, and do need to wash and dry immediately beforehand, as with the 476S?

Look forward to some advice from folk who are more informed on this stuff than I am - that throws it wide open!

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Queries on use of Collinite 476S & 845

No, you don't need to clay again, unless you have some sort of extraordinary fallout that has already pierced your 476. 845 is essentially "watered-down" 476, so I don't think you have anything to gain by topping the 476 with it, and it will probably remove some of your 476 due to the higher solvent content of 845.

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online!

Claying after applying the wax will remove it so I'd say not to.

Washing with a recommended car wash detergent is fine the next day. Other than boosting the gloss already there I don't know if adding more will help.

Washing the finish before applying anything is always recommended otherwise you'll risk the chance of damaging the finish...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

With Bobby.

Two coats of 476 or 845 should be all that you need. Nothing else is required. More is going to be overkill and waste of product.
    If you have had success in applying thin layers of 476, stick with it. You may also want to search out the various links on 845 and how we use it/apply. There is alot of information available.
    You may also want to look into using the Duragloss line of products. Collinite and Duragloss are a hard combo to beat.

Also, Welcome to Autogeek.
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Post Thanks / Like

any pics of the car?

If it's outside all the time, I'd be more concerned about cleaning the paint throughly before sealing in all the contaminants with wax.

Did you polish the car first or use a paint cleaner after the claybar step? Since it's white, you might also want to consider adding Iron X to your process.

wash
    dry
    iron x
    rinse
    claybar
    polish/pre wax cleanser
    wax

I agree that 2 coats of 476s is more than enough protection.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG first of all.

As mentioned 2 coats of either wax are more then enough .. indeed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much, folks - your comments noted and much appreciated.

Seems like I may have been misinformed on finishing off with a layer of 845. My understanding was that the 845 is especially formulated to resist UV light and heat, which I thought was exactly what was called for in my car's ungaraged exposed-to-extreme-summer-sun situation.

But if the solvents in the 845 are going to strip the 476S, I'm obviously better off with the two layers of 476 I have just applied.

And yeah, I did clean the car thoroughly before using the claybar and 476. I used a bit of cheap and nasty Kitten liquid cut and polish after a good wash with Armorall carwash liquid. The Kitten was bought long ago, before I even heard of top-end products like the Collinite waxes. It did seem to do a good job, though, getting rid of stubborn marks and bringing out the shine.

Just one more question, pls. I'll be away for a month, and was intending to put a car cover on the car during this time. It will be in the sun, relieved only by a bit of temporary dappled shade from a neighbour's overhanging shrub for part of the day. The wax won't melt or bond to the car cover, I trust?

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

There's probably not a more durable wax available than Collinite. I've never had a problem with a good cloth car cover.

Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, just one more question, pls. Should you use the 476S and/or 845 on the plastic sections of a car (eg: my Focus has plastic bumpers)? I have done so, and it looks fine, but just wondering what the expert detailers do...

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer using wax on any surface of the car that will accept it without any issues. Waxes won't darken faded trim like some of the dedicated vinyl protectants / dressings, but the durability is just so much better (think months rather than weeks) and there are no issues with runoff streaks. You just have to be careful where you go. Put some durable wax on the wrong surface and it will be a real pain to remove. Test spots are mandatory when you're venturing outside the norms.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast