autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Substitute for 303 Protectant

I'm about ready to empty a bottle of 303 Protectant. I mainly use it on all exterior trim and the engine compartment. I've been very satisfied with the results but now I'm ready to try something else. What else is out there that I could use in place of 303? Is there something comparable? Although I am satisfied with the results I got from 303 I enjoy checking out competitors products so if you have any suggestions let me know. I'm looking for something that can clean and protect exterior trim (black) and everything in the engine compartment and cost about the same. I tend to like the satin look on my trim, nothing very shiney and it must be dry to the touch nothing greasey. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Substitute for 303 Protectant

Quote Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post
    I'm about ready to empty a bottle of 303 Protectant. I mainly use it on all exterior trim and the engine compartment. I've been very satisfied with the results but now I'm ready to try something else. What else is out there that I could use in place of 303? Is there something comparable? Although I am satisfied with the results I got from 303 I enjoy checking out competitors products so if you have any suggestions let me know. I'm looking for something that can clean and protect exterior trim (black) and everything in the engine compartment and cost about the same. I tend to like the satin look on my trim, nothing very shiney and it must be dry to the touch nothing greasey. Thanks.
    Like Mike always says: "find something you like and use it often".

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to try out Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. It is more expensive than 303 but is more durable, and a little goes a long way. I second what S2K posted. If something is working for you then stick with it unless you are looking for a product with different properties. I think for the price and ease of application, you aren't going to find much of anything better than 303.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

there are hundreds - as you can imagine

I like Poor Boys natural look, 303 and Vinylex in that order...

wanna make any of these last longer? - cut up 1/4 of a MF rag and dampen/soak it in the product - use it and then put it in a zip lock...ready to go next time with a prime...
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

For exterior trim I prefer the Wolfgang ETS & I've started trying out the CarPro PERL to see how I like it. As previously mentioned, the Wolfgang has the cost, but a little dab will do. It spreads a long way. PERL can be diluted which stretches it farther as well.

For the engine though, I still perfer 303 because it just seems to come out looking great and applies very easily. I have had good luck with diluted PERL on tires, so I'm sure with the right dilution it would apply & look nice on the engine too.

If you like re-applying I would stay with 303. If you want to lock in the look without having to re-dress the trim every wash you should look into Wolfgang ETS, UTTG, or other similar trim sealant products. A big plus from these types of products is that you don't have to deal with any runs or smeared messes if the trim gets wet.

Post Thanks / Like

I like using Collinite 845 actually. It doesn't clean as you would know, but it doesn't leave a really high shine and it does last a while. Just be sure to buff off right after application.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Einszett Vinyl/Rubber Protectant is quite nice too ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I find myself keeping several products on hand. The Wolfgang ETS is great for trim on the door plate like aluminum logos and trim under hatch backs, etc. Megs Hyper-Dressing works wonders under the hood and you can mix to shine level desired. Einszett Vinyl/Rubber Protectant is great on exterior black trim and seems to last very well. 303 is really good on clear bras. Match the product to desired results. You will find this is still cost effective as selective use seems to stretch out all the bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

You can waste money trying other "dressings" but you really have already found one the overall best detailing products out there in 303 AP. If you wanna try something different that will surpass 303 you need step up to a trim sealant like Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. This product will amaze you in durability plus you can use it on metal surfaces. For interior surfaces try Ultima Interior Guard Plus. This product can be used on plastic, rubber, leather, fabric and just about any interior surface besides glass. These products don't have too much cleaning ability(from what I learned) and are quite pricey compared to 303 but it might be the only thing that will really impress you since you already use 303. For engine bays I use Stoner's Trim Shine since I prefer a fine mist aerosol spray. You can pretty much just spray and walk away with Stoner's Trim Shine. As with most dressings though it doesn't stand up to heat too well. I really want to try Sonus Trim and Motor Kote for engines since it's an acrylic wax coating that can withstand high temperatures which in theory sounds like a great product. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped using dedicated trim detail products once I applied D156, (aka UQW) and got better results. I've since used it on several engine compartments and it good there too.

It dries hard so doesn't attract or hold dust and grime. Slick so it wipes clean with a MF for weeks. Decent patina and doesn't run in the rain like a lot of trim detailers will.

Saving a lot of money and getting better results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast