autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Newbie on paint prep

Sorry for the question, but I am a little confused. I clayed and put Meg's ultimate wax on last year. After getting the "detailing bug", I have been searching the past few months and have purchased a random orbital and better products. It's time to clay, polish, an seal my car now. I keep hearing bout people using Dawn dish soap to strip the old wax and sealant, claying, washing again, polishing, and sealing. Do I need to do this to allow the sealant to bond to the paint? Or will claying and polishing do that? I am going to try Blackfire this time with their polish. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confused Newbie on paint prep

I think after a year - all of that wax will be gone. I think a normal wash then clay/polish you will have a clean surface

Post Thanks / Like

Washing with dawn will be enough to take off Meg's wax but I doubt there is anything there after a year

I don't dry the car before claying and use a rinseless lube so I don't wash the car afterwards either

what are you using to polish? If the paint is in good condition, then a paint cleaner is all you need before applying your sealant.

Otherwise, polishes/compounds are required to level the paint. Tell us what you are working on and working with (pad sizes, colours etc) and we can recommend combos for you.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Docngolf View Post

Sorry for the question, but I am a little confused.
    Actually it's a great question and a common question!

I clayed and put Meg's ultimate wax on last year. After getting the "detailing bug", I have been searching the past few months and have purchased a random orbital and better products.
    Did you get a PC style like this,

Or something that looks like this,

The Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader

It's time to clay, polish, an seal my car now.

I keep hearing bout people using Dawn dish soap to strip the old wax and sealant, claying, washing again, polishing, and sealing.

Do I need to do this to allow the sealant to bond to the paint? Or will claying and polishing do that?
    Like Jeff aka CaneMustang posted, chances are good after a year whatever was on the paint is mostly gone by now...

Here's what you want to do,

Wash
    Inspect
    Clay if inspection reveals bumps on the paint
    Correct or polish the paint to remove swirls
    Seal paint with a wax or paint sealant

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

I am going to try Blackfire this time with their polish.

Thanks

If you purchased the old style polisher they are really only good for spreading out a coating of wax, they don't work well for removing swirls as explained in the article I included above. But you can try...

Read this and follow the steps with the polishes and waxes of your choice, it's the techniques that are most important...

DA Polisher Articles - Help for Newbies to Machine Polishing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Griot's 6 inch and 3 inch orbitals. I was going to use Griots polish number 3 ( i only have light towel marks), then the Blackfire polish, which I understand is more like a glaze, then the Blackfire wet diamond. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a GG6 and love it

never used the Griots polishes though. Polish 3 should be good enough to use as a paint cleaner. For best sealant adherence, after wiping off polish 3, wash the car with dawn again and dry, or use the Griots pre wax cleaner to strip the residual oils left from polishing.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Mike Phillips

I bought the Griot's 6 inch and 3 inch orbitals. I was going to use Griots polish number 3 ( i only have light towel marks), then the Blackfire polish, which I understand is more like a glaze, then the Blackfire wet diamond. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

That combo should work, the most important thing is to use good technique starting with doing "Section Passes" to a small area when you buff out a panel.

I think it's all pretty well explained in the link I included above plus there are videos that show how to do a section past and don't forget to do a Test Spot first, that's where you test out your process to a small area and make you're getting the results you want before you buff out the entire car.

This article,

DA Polisher Articles - Help for Newbies to Machine Polishing

Then do some of this --->

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thank you so much. The article looks great, and the video's!! Appreciate all the help. Never thought of using dawn after polishing.