autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

1st Major Detail

A bunch of Questions……Help !!!!!!!!!
    With all the different products and reviews out there, I’m baffled. I know it has to do with preference and in the past I’ve always used a good Carnauba base wax because I prefer the warm deep shine. With the technology these days I’m considering using a sealant especially since I plan on using my vehicle throughout the winter. If I use a high grade sealant (Wolfgang, Prima, Zaino, etc…) the manufacturer’s state you can put a Carnauba wax over it to get the look of the wax. How is this possible if the sealant bonds to the paint and forms a barrier? I have no problem mixing products to get the final desired result which is a long lasting protectant and still have that warm deep shine instead of the mirror glossy look. And what’s the deal with these blend/hybrid products? They say you get the best of both worlds? But in their literature they state they only last as long as a straight high grade Carnauba…so what’s the advantage?
    As with most I’m looking for a quick fix but I also want to do the best possible thing to preserve the integrity of my paint. I’ve read tons of reviews about mixing the different brand name products such as Prima w/Fusion or SN Hybrid, Wolfgang Sealant w/Fusion and so on. Again, I know it’s preference. My vehicle is a few months old (off production line 3/16/11) Metallic Cosmic Blue which is a dark deep blue. I use it 3 or 4 days a week and it’s covered (outdoor) when not in use. It presently has a coat of Carnauba approx. 4 weeks old and needs little to no prep for next application. In your expert opinion, what specific products (brand names) would you recommend? Should I continue with my wax regiment (more often) or should I attempt a sealant/wax or blend mixture?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st Major Detail

Poorboys EX-P topped with Nattys blue
    Or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant topped with Fusion (or whatever pure carnuba you currently have) are very popular choices.

More important that what you use is how you use it, and how often. If you're washing carefully with 2 buckets, grit guards, etc., and waxing every couple months you could probably use Nu Finish (kidding) and blow people away with the shine and protection.

I believe the esteemed Mr. Phillips says "Find something you like and use it often". Good advice.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice...

I've read on more then 1 occasion that Wolfgang Sealant w/Fusion over it produces a dark look as apposed to Wolfgang Sealant w/SN Hybrid which gives a warmer deeper look. My biggest dilemma right now is should I go synthetic. If I do go synthetic as a base and then wax in layers every few weeks do I ever have to replace the sealant again?
    Again, what's the advantage of the blends/hybrids to a good Carnuaba?

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I did after I put on a couple of over the counter waxes (NXT)
    Then I found this site and this is what I did on my Mustang which was about 9 months old:

Products used:

Wash:
    2 bucket method w/grit guards
    Dodo Juice Born to be Mild
    Mother's mit - awesome!
    Blew dry the entire car

Wheels & Tires
    Sonax Wheel Cleaner

Clay
    Meguiare's
    Dodo Juice BornSlippy
    Then rinsed the entire car
    Blew dry again

Polish:
    Porter Cable
    Menzerna Super Finish
    LC Tangerine Pad

Sealant:
    Menzerna Power Lock
    LC Red Pad

Wax
    LC Red Pad

Exterior:
    All Trim, Wheels, and Black stripes: UTTG
    Exhaust Pipes: Optimum Metal Polish
    Tires: Optimum Opti-Bond Gel
    Windows: Stoners

Engine:
    Cleaned
    Meguiars Hyper-Dressing

Interior:
    Windows: Stoners
    Poorboy's World Natural Look
    Meguiars Leather
    Poorboy's Pina Colada Air Freshener

On my wife's Edge which was 8 months old:
    Polish:
    Porter Cable
    Menzerna Super Finish
    LC Tangerine Pad

Sealant:
    Menzerna Power Lock
    LC Red Pad

I will be purchasing Dodo Juice Hard and Soft Wax for my next detail
    Will prep the car with Dodo Lime Lite before I wax

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested more in the technical (chemical) aspect of the different products (sealants/waxes/blends) and their advantages. I don't want to use a ton of different chemicals such as cleaners, preps and pre preps on a brand new car.

P.S. All my applications are done by hand............

Post Thanks / Like

But you need to prep your car for these products to work...You currently have wax on there now, if you are going to put a sealant on, you are going to have to strip the old wax off...

Post Thanks / Like

The wax is a few weeks old and in the past I would perform a few good washes with dishwash soap achieving a complete smooth surface with no imperfections throughout the entire auto. Then put new coat of wax. I've done this with all my vehicles. My Black 2000 Civic w/ 210000 miles (which I've never covered- always outdoor) still shines and beads great. What is the advantge of sealants and blends?

Post Thanks / Like

I do know if I go with a sealant or blend I would have to prep (strip) but what's the advantage besides longer lasting protection be it with mirror glossy look (not preferred)? That's why it would only be a base. I still want to achieve the warm deep shine.

Post Thanks / Like

To get the look you are are after - many, many people on the forum think it is the polish that you do to make the sealant or wax pop. Even though your car is new, there still could be imperfections in the paint. Heck if the dealer prepped the car before you received it, chances are you might have swirls in the paint.

Post Thanks / Like