autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad and polish recommendations for a first timer

First off, this site is fantastic and has so much information that it has given me the courage to step up my detailing process.

I'm looking to get into machine polishing and I believe I have narrowed down the actual buffer, but am having some difficulty selecting a pad/polish combination. All the choices and combinations out there can definitely make a n00b's head spin!

From doing a lot of reading/research, I understand that each car/paint is different, and what works for one person may not work for me. However, as just starting out, I would like to make sure that I am selecting a combination of products that has a high probability of working for my situation, based on other's prior experience, so I don't end up spending a fortune.

I will be detailing for personal use, nothing professional, and will most of the time be detailing a subaru (which from what I read has relatively easy paint correction). The car is 6 years old (2005), and has a decent amount of stage II etched water spots (mainly on the roof and hood), along with the typical swirling and spider webbing from washing. Overall though, I would say the paint is in relatively good condition.

For the actual machine, I believe I am going to purchase a Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital. However, I would greatly appreciate any advise for selecting the correct pads and polish to correct the above mentioned blemishes.

This is what I have come up with so far:

1. Griot's Garage 6" random orbital
    2. Meguiar's 5" backing plate - W67DA
    3. Meguiar's DA MF correction compound - D300
    4. Meguiar's DA MF cutting discs (2)
    5. Lake Country 5.5" foam flat pads (3 white and 3 black)

The last part of this puzzle (in my mind) is picking the finishing polish. I already have klasse AIO and SG, so I would like to use those after the whole polishing process, in addition to pinnacle liquid souveran as a LSP. Thus, I would like to stay away from an AIO finishing polish such as the D301. In addition, I have read that MF pads don't exactly finish that well on "softer" clear coats.

My original plan was to use the M205 as the finishing polish, but I have also read that the M205 can leave behind frustrating oily residue. So, I was thinking of going with the Menzerna PO85RD.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad and polish recommendations for a first timer

that looks like a great start, i have the same exact stuff that i just orderd. the 6 inch Meguiars MF DA kit, m105,m205 compound/polish/ Lake country yellow orange and blue pads, and cobra MF towels. i just need to get a good sealant now! i think this is good for beginners