autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question concerning polishing

Hi guys,

I bought a new Acura CSX 2011 last January. Here we have winter until beginning of April so I was washing it inside and waxing it when it was needed.

We are passed half July and the paint is still smooth as glass (I wash the right way, clay bar, wax and QD every wash).

My question comes to the polishing of the paint. At which point do I need to start thinking about polishing the car?

I know that a paint cleaner would get rid of some issues with the paint when they happen so polishing is the step just after.

I should also use the less agressive polish because it would be for minimal use, the car being pretty good.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Simon
    Pagani Zonda R Rules!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question concerning polishing

you clay your car every time you wash it?

Sounds a bit excessive to me and you run the risk of marring the paint when you clay (if a piece of grit gets trapped in the clay etc) which is why many ppl don't do it unless they are going to polish afterwards.

Remember that polishing removes clearcoat so if you don't need to do it, then just continue waxing as usual.

Even if a car doesn't need to be compounded, some like to freshen up the paint using a mild polish like PO85rd or M205, (essentially using it like a paint cleaner).

The amount of clear these polishes remove is miniscule and with proper washing and drying techniques, may be all you need to keep the paint in tip top shape.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question concerning polishing

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    you clay your car every time you wash it?

Sounds a bit excessive to me and you run the risk of marring the paint when you clay (if a piece of grit gets trapped in the clay etc) which is why many ppl don't do it unless they are going to polish afterwards.

Remember that polishing removes clearcoat so if you don't need to do it, then just continue waxing as usual.

Even if a car doesn't need to be compounded, some like to freshen up the paint using a mild polish like PO85rd or M205, (essentially using it like a paint cleaner).

The amount of clear these polishes remove is miniscule and with proper washing and drying techniques, may be all you need to keep the paint in tip top shape.

Hi,

No, I do not clay each time I wash the car, that would damage the paint eventually.

I only clay when the car needs to be clayed. I will use a paint cleaner for now, as you are saying. If ever I need to polish, I will use a mild one as you suggested.

Thanks for the info! :-)
    Last edited by Pagani Zonda R; 07-19-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    Pagani Zonda R Rules!