autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Garage Random Orbital 3' Polisher as primary polisher

hey mike, i'm on an exteremely low budget and want to buy a DA. Since I'm a noob where machine polishing is concerned, I decided on the low cost Griot's Garage Professional Random Orbital 3 Inch Polisher Griot's Garage Professional Random Orbital 3 Inch Polisher, Random Orbit Buffer, Dual Action Polisher, 3" bufferwhich i've to ship and import to INDIA.

Since i've to detail only one car, i thought the GG's 3 in. polisher would be good. I'm looking forward to minor swirl removal, polishing and waxing. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

So, guide me whether the GG's 3 in. polisher would be okay for these meager jobs?

Because i'm importing it, it would overall cost me $150 including shipping and customs, so I cannot extend my budget. Also, Can I use a 6 in. backing plate on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage Random Orbital 3' Polisher as primary polisher

i love mine but i only do tight spots with mine. you can do an entire car with it just take your time and dont overwork the machine and DONT put a 6in BP on it.
    You. You're good you. No, no you're better then good, you're REALLY good.
    Names Jesse. Mad Skillz? I has them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mine for tight spots as well & headlights. The biggest pad I've used on it is 4" which works ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that its for toght spots etc but i don't have any other option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by torque1989 View Post

So, guide me whether the GG's 3 in. polisher would be okay for these meager jobs?
    Not really.

I mean a person can do as they will but I certainly wouldn't try to buff out an entire car using the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher unless it was a challenge of some sort...

I've removed sanding marks using perfect technique with the tool so it is capable of "work" but it's really for light correction work or applying waxes and sealants to thin panels like A-Pillars etc.

To be honest, if your goal is to remove swirls, scratches, water spots or oxidation out of the finish on an entire car then you can do it faster and more efficiently working by hand with a compound like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or M105 or even a medium strength polish like the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

Either of the Megs compounds word fast by hand because they are aggressive so they will remove a lot of paint quickly. You can control how aggressive they are by simply stopping when the defects are removed.

I tested the abrading ability of Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover "by hand" in this article and it worked exceedingly well also if a person wants a less aggressive approach. This test was to show that good diminishing abrasive technology can successfully be used "by hand" on basecoat clearcoat finishes, something that's been hard to do until just recently as most abrasive products when applied by hand to a clear coat will in fact remove defects but they will also leave defects behind, so they are self-defeating. Not so with the Megs compounds or the Wolfgang Twins.

Removing Scratches By Hand

I induced straightline scratches by hand, then ran a tape line across the paint, then worked the scratches out by hand using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, (4 well worked applications), followed by Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, (2 gentle applications), then striped with 17% IPA

Also, Can I use a 6 in. backing plate on it?
    If you want to use it as a Ping Pong Paddle to play ping pong.

It's barely able to maintain pad rotation under pressure with a 3" flat pad so it's certainly not going to work with anything larger.

Just saying...

Mike Phillips

I know that its for tough spots etc but i don't have any other option
    Actually you do have another option, that's to work by hand...

One thing I always post is that it takes less skill to work by machine than it does to work by hand when it comes to doing correction work on a clear coat finish BUT it can be done with a little practice and perspiration.

Read through these two threads,

Man versus Machine

1-Step versus 3-Step Process by Hand

Post Thanks / Like

@torque1989 - importing it? where you from?

Post Thanks / Like

On that machine I would avoid anything bigger than a 4" bp/pad combo... it will work for you but it is going to take some time and it may burn up the machine... I fully understand being on a budget and would recommend saving up for a larger machine over time... the full size GG DA is a great machine and is at a great price... Just keep that in mind... I know it weighs more so importing to India would be more but just be patient...

Mike has some great points...
    Galatians 6:17
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Actually you do have another option, that's to work by hand...

One thing I always post is that it takes less skill to work by machine than it does to work by hand when it comes to doing correction work on a clear coat finish BUT it can be done with a little practice and perspiration.

Read through these two threads,

Man versus Machine

1-Step versus 3-Step Process by Hand

Thanx a lot for your reply mike. Since you're a busy man, I wasn't expecting that you'll reply. The Man v. Machine thread is an eye opener. I never thought hand application coupled with different foam density pads could do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by atoy View Post
    @torque1989 - importing it? where you from?
    Yes, Importing coz I live in India.

Quote Originally Posted by CrownKote View Post
    On that machine I would avoid anything bigger than a 4" bp/pad combo... it will work for you but it is going to take some time and it may burn up the machine... I fully understand being on a budget and would recommend saving up for a larger machine over time... the full size GG DA is a great machine and is at a great price... Just keep that in mind... I know it weighs more so importing to India would be more but just be patient...

Mike has some great points...
    I'll prob'y go with your advice of saving and buying a better tool. Maybe next year in Jan if I'll be able to visit the US, I'll go for a PC7424XP.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll prob'y go with your advice of saving and buying a better tool. Maybe next year in Jan if I'll be able to visit the US, I'll go for a PC7424XP.
    Honestly the PC is nice but I tend to use my GG DA more often than the PC...
    Galatians 6:17
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast