autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Remove "new car" hairline scratches?

Hey everyone

New to the forum, but not new to using a buffer, PC etc.

I just picked up a new 2011 black Z06. Its never been buffed or waxed that I know of, but it does have the typical marks of repeated washings that happen when the dealers clean their cars. mostly fine, spider web type scratches/lines.

I will also want to jewel the paint.

I have a first gen PC, and also have a DeWalt rotary. Most of my experience is with rotary buffers and foam pads. My thinking is to not put a rotary on this paint out of the gate, and instead pick up a Flex orbital.

Question is, what pad(s) do I start with Orange? White? What Menzerna products should I pick up?

Also, since my experience is with a rotary and 3M products, I thought about starting fresh and using Menzerna stuff with the Flex polisher.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remove "new car" hairline scratches?

To Autogeek Online!

The C6 Z06's look great in black and there's nothing nicer than a black paint job that's dripping it's so glossy.

The clear coats on Corvettes are pretty hard. I have a C5 Z06 and it's harder than nails.

If you're comfortable with a rotary polisher I see know reason at all not to use it on this car. everyone can learn to use a new tool and the Flex 3401 is a great dual action polisher but for now I'd recommend sticking with something you know and are comfortable with..

Also, you mention that you're familiar with the Porter Cable 7424. This is a nice machine so instead of laying out over $300 for a new dual action polisher, spend it on some 5 1/2" foam pads.

If I had to recommend a bundle of products that work well it would be the following by Menzerna.

• Menzerna Power Gloss Compound
    • Menzerna Power Finish PO 203
    • Menzerna Super Finish PO 106 FA

Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound

Least Aggressive

Always start with a combination that's less aggressive and work toward the more aggressive if necessary. If the finish cleans up nicely using a White pad then that's where you begin...if not then Orange. Do a test spot to determine what direction you'll take.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    To Autogeek Online!

The C6 Z06's look great in black and there's nothing nicer than a black paint job that's dripping it's so glossy.

The clear coats on Corvettes are pretty hard. I have a C5 Z06 and it's harder than nails.

If you're comfortable with a rotary polisher I see know reason at all not to use it on this car. everyone can learn to use a new tool and the Flex 3401 is a great dual action polisher but for now I'd recommend sticking with something you know and are comfortable with..

Also, you mention that you're familiar with the Porter Cable 7424. This is a nice machine so instead of laying out over $300 for a new dual action polisher, spend it on some 5 1/2" foam pads.

If I had to recommend a bundle of products that work well it would be the following by Menzerna.

• Menzerna Power Gloss Compound
    • Menzerna Power Finish PO 203
    • Menzerna Super Finish PO 106 FA

Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound

Least Aggressive

Always start with a combination that's less aggressive and work toward the more aggressive if necessary. If the finish cleans up nicely using a White pad then that's where you begin...if not then Orange. Do a test spot to determine what direction you'll take.
    Thanks for the info!

Its my understanding the 7424 doesn't do a great job with these harder clearcoats.

I have no problem using the rotary, but if I can get the paint looking good by using the Flex..wouldn't I be ahead?

Meaning, I know I can get a nice finish with the rotary, but to make sure I get ALL the buffer tracks (and isn't there always a few left??) I will need to go over it again with a PC or the Flex.

Do you think the Flex will remove these areas in the paint without resorting to the rotary??

Also..isn't the Powergloss pretty aggressive? I thought that was for deeper swirls and marring in the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

A flex would do it as well as a new PC. I would think an old PC would correct them as well. Things have come a long way.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BLKZ06 View Post
    Hey everyone

I have a first gen PC,

Any tips or suggestions appreciated!

Wrote an article just for you and the millions of people that own a first generation Porter Cable 7424 or 7336

The short how-to guide for using a DA Polisher
    How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers

The key thing is to stick to thin, small foam pads. The Lake Country foam Flat pads, Hydro-Tech Pads and CCS pads are all 5.5" in diameter and 7/8" thick and all will rotate just fine using the first gen PC.

One thing for sure, millions of cars have been de-swirled using thicker pads than the above for decades now so more will be de-swirled into the future with the introduction of all these newer style, thinner foam pads and microfiber pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLKZ06 View Post
    Hey everyone

I just picked up a new 2011 black Z06. Its never been buffed or waxed that I know of, but it does have the typical marks of repeated washings that happen when the dealers clean their cars. mostly fine, spider web type scratches/lines.
    AH, you got the free DASO, ha. (Dealer Applied Swirl Option)
    I think every dealer gives all buyers that free option.